Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running at High Altitude
Quote | Reply
Hi-
I'm on vacation in New Mexico and need advice on running here. Last time I tried I thought I was gonna die!!
Quote Reply
Re: Running at High Altitude [igottatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to live at 7,000 feet. I wasn't a runner then but I went back about 10 years later and was shocked at how hard it was just walking up stairs.

A few things:
  • It will take a couple days to adjust so take it easy.
  • I'm not sure where the line is for risk of high altitude sickness so if I was you I'd research that.
  • Bring extra water with you. Dehydration comes fast. I couldn't get enough of it while visiting.

I'm sure others will chime in but those are what popped into my head.

I'm jealous. I've always wanted to visit NM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Running at High Altitude [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that about 10,000ft(3,000m)is about when it starts to hurt lots.I did some MTB stuff in Argentina at 10,000ft and the locals killed me.After that I went to La Paz at 3,600m and tried to run and oh my god did it hurt.I could jog but no real running.Biking was okay until 5,000m after which my body shut down.

Everyone is different how long it takes to adapt and some people never do.I saw lots of sick backpackers in my La Paz hostel.

Drinking lots at altitude is really important and I found my appetite was really surpressed.I lost lots of weight riding the Andes for eight weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to college in Colorado and every fall I would die for the first few weeks back.

Up your iron intake a little and drink a lot of water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a thread on the main forum about this right now - good info - check it out

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I was just up there in Santa Fe for 2 days- it's 7000ft- I came up from 4000 though so the switch wasn't too drastic- I did notice it the first day but was fine the 2nd day- you should adjust within several days but i think it depends on where you came up from :) enjoy and watch for crazy drivers-oy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been living at 8000 feet for a few years now, and I remember when I first moved here it took me probabaly 3 months to fully be able to run like I used to at sea level (speed and endurance wise, not feeling like a giant slug). A lot of walk/run intervals for a while. You are probably not moving to altitude, but a few tips to help:

1. WATER - drink a ton more water than you normally do (like 1 1/2 -2 times more). Water helps stave off headaches, but sometimes even water won't help.

2. SLOW DOWN - don't try to go as far or as fast as you normally do. Go easy. When the easy feels good, go a bit harder. (I remember talking to a guy from Florida at a gym I worked at a couple of years ago about the effects of altitude who was about to collapse on the treadmill. He had no idea he should have backed off a bit from running 6 minute miles his first day at 8500 feet. The next day he thanked me for the advice to slow down a little).

3. Cut back on the caffeine.

4. Not that this will effect your running, but alcohol will also affect your hydration and you'll get tipsy faster at altitude. Not that you can't drink, just be aware of the possible side effects of drinking the same amount as at sea level.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply