Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/29/08
Quote | Reply
So, how'd everyone do this week with respect to your goals? Tell us the good and the bad, as well as what you're planning this upcoming week.

For me:
  • I had another not so great week. In what should have been my last big week before AmZof, I only got in 3 runs and 2 rides. Missed both my long run and long ride. How pathetic is that!!?
  • Weight wise I did well. I was down over a pound on Friday and then put some on over the weekend due to monthly schedule, so I know it will come off again in a few days.

This week:
  • Last long run before the race
  • Two long rides this week
  • Get down to 164 lb by Friday

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/29/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) Finish my first Kayak race -- a 4 X 4-mile relay -- I finished. All of my teammates finished and it was a blast. I hope to get out on the lake and do some more kayaking soon. We promised our instructor (of 1 lesson) and a race organizer that we will be back next year. And we promised to attend more than 1 lesson beforhadn so we can really rock. He would like 4 but we promised at least 2.

2) Swim with the masters team-- I made it to practice but my team didn't. None of my current lane mates were there. Oh, well it was still fun.

3) Try to make friends with my bike -- Well I did one trainer ride on the road bike which wasn't that much fun. I did go mountain biking in the Kettle Moraine on Sunday which I think was exactly what I needed. I had a blast and I can't wait to go back again. One can only see so much pavement and cornfields in a season. Trees, rocks, dirt, branches, and chipmunks are much more fun. So I didn't make friends with a current bike but a new bike which still counts right?

Goals for this week:
My week is really short this week as I am having surgery on Thursday so I have to cram everything in early in the week. On Thurs, I am having a electrophysiologic study and cardiac ablation which should stop my SVT.
1) Get in two core sessions
2) Log daily food and make calorie goals on 5 of 7 days

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been absent from this thread so I'll post some goals for this week to get going again!

*Lost 2 lbs. - Which I can do if I start SAYING NO to crappy food!!!

* Have fun at the Picton Half Marathon - am running it for FUN only.

*Work my ass off at swimming T/Th morning*

* Start reading the Time Travellers Wife.

** I started swimming w/ the AG kids T/Th morning and had my ass handed to me by a 9yo kid. They are amazing swimmers.

Have a good week everyone.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is how I did this week...minimal but solid on all fronts:
  • 6 hours of mild hiking or other training if allowed after Fridays dr appt..........got in 6:07 including hiking a long Orienteerig course in 2:16...no running but averaged at a heart rate equal to my long run effort 136 pbm average....also got in my first rollerski in 2 years....
  • keep weight around 174..........stayed right in there.....
  • go to Dr appt and see if I can ramp up it up.....went Friday and looks like I can start incorporating other endurance activities including the one that really counts, with my wife, in one more week : )

Goals for this week:
  • get in 2 rollerski sessions to prep my arms and leg muscles.....trying to avoid the shoulder bursitis that is not uncommon for me early in XC ski season....
  • Try a slow/run hike to see how my delicate bits are recovering...
  • get in 6 hours of total aerobic training....
  • Put on a great Adventure Run on Friday night...hope to get 30-40 people out and navigating the woods at top speed in the night...
  • move weight down to 173 by the end of the week.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work exploded and threw my planned schedule out the window. Not that big of a deal since I'm still on the "off-season break".

* Ride the bike x 6 days [Only made 2 days]

* Swim twice [Done]

*Race cyclocross on Sunday and try and stay upright. [Done]

For this week:

Train every day, fitting in around work.
Fly to Kona on Saturday and then swim or run every day for the next 9 days!!!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a GREAT week ...yay!!!

I got in 2 bike workouts (trainer), 2 runs, and 3 swims. I don't remember the last time that happened.
-Goal for this week: workout 6/7 days (at least), start trying to increase running time slightly (only good for 15 min now).

A+++++ for me nutritionally ...I stuck to eating right and had NO slip-ups.
-Goal for this week: keep it up!

Other goals for this week:
-get at least the background section written for my qualifying exam. The paper is not due until October 22nd, but I want to have lots of time for editing.

-don't do anything stupid to hinder my recovery. I only have one week to go with the steroids, but if my tummy goes nuts again, it is back to the dosages that leave me sweaty, stoned, and feeling like a balloon :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week - goal was to stay healthy enough to race a 5k on Friday morning. CHECK and got third in the race, very happy, had an awesome weekend. Other goals of shoulder and IT band exercises every other day, check. The only things I didn't get was the yoga class... I also slacked on the foam rolling 2x a day. The combination of those two things --> IT band acting up a bit again, so I am back to foam rolling every chance I get (this has taken care of it before!). Oh, didn't make the 20k swim goal, shoulder pain got in the way.

training totals for the week - running is high - wound up with a long w.u and c/d on race day and that's where the extra miles are. I also ran all 7 days... that's not happening this week. Anyway,

swim: 14,500 yds (7 swims)
bike - 45 min (once)
run - 54.6 mi (8 runs)
water run: 50 min

Also notable last week was my adopting a new perspective on eating, thanks to someone smart, who said "better to make sure you're eating enough than undereat." Totally took some of the guilt and panic away from my constantly counting calories... anyway, the whole week I felt like I was eating more than I needed, and was pretty sure that I'd wind up gaining weight... nope! Stayed exactly the same. I felt like I made some real progress in terms of fighting the eating disorder last week :D of course it's always back and forth... yesterday there was a panic attack over a muffin (I didn't make it. Dunkin donuts muffin. Thus the panic, didn't know what was in it, or calories... yes panic... irrational but there you go) then this morning over scrambled eggs (the first one I cracked had a RED spot in it, like blood, so I threw it out, thought "okay... just do another one... you can still eat them." Bad idea. I made new eggs - ate them... and couldn't stop thinking about the blood in the other one, wanted very badly to throw up. I didn't. But ooooooh I squirmed for awhile over that one. I am on day 51 without purging... and this is the first week in a very long time I haven't lost weight... good deal.

Oh, goals for this week:
Run <1:35 at a half marathon on Sunday.
Foam roll 2x a day at least, one of which is a good long session of it before running.
Shoulder and IT band exercises every other day
Abs every other day
Swim at least 15k, being careful of shoulders.

As far as last week's physics test - got a 76 - appealed 3 of the problems, I should get some points back on those, plus it may be scaled, that ought to bring it up to a high B or a low A...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't responded to this post in several months, but never stopped reading it, either. It is so great to hear about everyone's successes - it seems to be more positive than negative, so I'm going to try it again because I've gained a record 5 pounds in 3 weeks since IMWI.
Here goes:
Last week, no real goals, as I was still recovering from IMWI and I had promised my PT no running for 3 weeks after.
I swam once, lifted twice and did a flat, easy 45 min bike ride that was so fun!
Food was good during the week and bad from noon Saturday until 5 p.m. Sunday. I gained a pound (I think some is water weight - should be gone in 3-5 days).

This is the first week that I'm allowing myself to have goals since Ironman. May seem weird, but I'm kind of a compulsive goal setter - it is related to my always having to control everything. My therapist suggested staying away from goal setting for a short time to see how it was. It was ok, but it bugs me.
This week: work out 5-6 days (up from 3 last week). Swim 2x, Lift 2x, Run 1x, Bike 1x.
Watch my diet at lunch time. Work is getting really busy and there are lots of catered lunch meetings or lunches bought from the deli downstairs where they must invest heavily in mayonnaise stock, because there's tons of it in EVERYTHING. I need to get back to packing my lunch. Goal: Bring lunch (and actually eat it) 3 days this week.

I want to set about 3 dozen more goals, but I won't. Not this week at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PR'd a 10k Sunday. Hooray. Closed the gap between my time and husband's time at this particular race: last year 11 minutes, this year 50 seconds (he's still faster... grrr...). I told him that next year IT IS ON.

Lead a 75 mile ride for my bike club on Saturday. I was out front the whole time and had to wait for some members to catch up at the turns. I used to be the straggler with this club last season, so this was a good change.

My swimming is sucking. I get 2,000-3,000 yards in and then just want to quit. I can't seem to make myself keep going. Must try harder. I got out of the pool this morning and went to get pancakes! Pancakes! WTF???

My weight drops before my period and then piles back on again afterward. What is up with that? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. But (minus the pancakes) my eating is fairly clean, and given that I am 1 month out from IMFL, this is not a time to cut calories. So I am just rolling with it for now.

-Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/29/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the just wanting to quit swimming, think

"you will learn the pain in practice and feel it in every race"

that will get me through ANYTHING in the pool.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always it is so great to see what everyone says, writes, both what would be considered "good" and what's considered "bad" in terms of how the weeks go. Best way to improve too! If you don't do what you want, say it out loud and don't beat yourself up and just go forward. I need to remind myself of that!

Don't even remember what I said last week and am feeling too lazy to go look it up but I think I did most everything except for foam roll/core/stretch. My weekly nemesis, sort of.

Two bikes, one was longest to date for past 2 months or so
Three swims
Three runs
NO FOAM ROLL/STRETCH/CORE

The runs were totally awesome, I actually RAN nonstop for 24 minutes. YAY. Well, I jogged it. Still not up to total running speed but I'm happy anyway. Swims I worked harder than the week before but were shorter than I planned. Instead of being happy I went and worked hard I got mad I didn't have the time I wanted. Gotta work on that. Both the planning and the mad. Ohhhhh that was one thing I said last week -- plan better -- well I did sometimes. One bike was in between two rainstorms, ICKY wet everything but I was really proud I went out there. MUST MUST foam roll etc this week!!!

Also I lost four pounds since two weeks ago. :-)

This week:
Two swims
Three bikes
Three runs
One weight session
AT LEAST TWO FOAM ROLL and CORE and STRETCH

And TC lots of spanglyl sparkly stickers to you for 51 days! whooohooooo !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
recover from rotator cuff surgery that was 9/25...on my left, had my right done 18 months ago!

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/29/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to be pretty smooth and at ease in the pool. Maybe I am not suffering enough? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/29/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The runs were totally awesome, I actually RAN nonstop for 24 minutes.

Great news! Congrats on the fantastic progress you're making. Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you thank you thank you!! I do appreciate it. Today - drum roll - I ran 28 minutes. YIPPEEE
Okay that is a tiny bit more than a 10% weekly increase in distance or time but I think it's okay... :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/29/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome!

Quote Reply