Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You're pretty good for a girl...
Quote | Reply
I actually was told that earlier this week. Struck me as almost funny.

Went for a bike ride on a country road - there's a place to leave cars - an older guy (like maybe mid-70s?) was leaving a little before me. I assumed he was sort of "serious" b/c he had a nice bike and matching jersey/shorts. He just had that "look." :-)

Well, I got ready, took off, maybe 10, maybe even 15, minutes after him. Forgot all about him. I'm riding along and up ahead I see him! I feel bad - yes - usually I like passing guys but somehow I felt bad this time. I say hi and ride on by. There's a nice turn-around at the 30 min mark, so I turn around. Figure I'll see him eventually coming in the same direction - but - NO. He had turned around too but a lot earlier than me. I pass him again. Wave.

Get back to the car, eat something, hang around for a little just doing car "stuff." He comes back, pulls in, says hi. We chat for a little about the beautiful day. He asks how long I've been riding (about 2 1/2 years)... Makes the comment above. "You're pretty good for a girl." HAHA I am in my 40s. Secretly I wanted to say "well you're okay for an old guy" - or better yet - "I'm not all that fast, you're just really slow." But I just said thanks. Oh and he also said something about having to stop a few times to blow his nose or something like that. Now THAT made me almost laugh... was he making excuses? not sure...

I guess I could have been offended? If he were younger I would have been. I was more amused. I am still not sure. Thought it would be a good womens forum post.
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I guess I could have been offended?<<

Nah, probably a function of his age group and not having women like that when he was growing up, etc. My dad's friends are always amazed at me racing.

Sometimes you just have to smile and let it pass.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha... gotta love the old farts. You should have told him that was just your warm up. My dad is 70 and THANK GOD he has a young daughter so he doesn't act like a complete ass that old men can :)

Quote | Reply
What cuds said. At that age I'd let it slide. Anything under 50 and he would have had no excuse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard that a lot as a kid. For years I was not just the only girl on the soccer team, but the oly one in the freaking league. And I was pretty good. No one says that to me now :(

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that kind of thing usually irks me, but you definitely need to account for the generation gap (or two). If he was obviously much older than me I might have said something like I hoped I would still love cycling and be getting out and being active in "a few years" like him. He is beating all sorts of odds just being out there! I wish my Dad could/would be more active.
gb
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [GettingBetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a good idea - those comments - but didn't even think of it! Also somehow thought it might have been insulting. Yeah, I wish my Dad had been more like that too.

And yes, mostly I thought it was FUNNY. 99.5% of me did. There is just that other .5% that didn't... but on the other hand I don't mind being called a "girl" ! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was meant as a compliment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I probably wouldn't have thought of it either. I usually think of what I should have said about 30 minutes after I should have said it. : )
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awww, poor Katy. You ARE pretty good for a girl :D

Quote | Reply
Hilarious. I chalk it up to old people stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I taught martial arts we had some outstanding teenage girls in the studio. "You kick like a girl" became high praise in our school, at one point some of the guys showed up for a tournament with T-shirts that read "Caution, I kick like a girl". Got a huge laugh from our team and confusion from the other schools.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great! I love that the guys actually wore the shirts to a tournament.

In the same vein, I want to get t-shirts made for my girls volleyball team that say "You WISH you could hit like a girl!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, I had something similar happen to me. I went riding for the first time with 7 guys I didn't know (I was invited by someone I met at Master's swimming). They were all 10 or so years older than me.

I managed to hold my own pretty well and when we stopped to refill our water one man said "I bet that feels pretty good when you pass guys in races"...I wasn't really sure what to say when quite frankly I'm happier to pass women b/c that means I'm more likely to take home some hardware! I later heard that one of them said they had changed their opinion of female riders b/c of me...hmm, flattered and a bit offended for women just the same.

Why do men think we can't ride?? Whatever though, right?
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [siobhan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do men think we can't ride??

Because many women can't ride. No one should be offended by this type of talk. It's good that they're noticing us and we're proving their assumptions wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:) Funny. Some guys just can't seem to let it go. It's not always guys though. This weekend, my son and a friend's daughter were doing a kid's tri. My kid is usually way up front if he decides to actually try that day (he's 9-- so it comes and goes ;) ) but the friend's daughter has only done this a couple of times. Well, my son goes on by, we all yell and cheer like normal, yadayadayada...little girl comes by and we all cheer, etc. just like we did for my son. Her grandmother says something to the effect of "well, just let her be, you know she's a girl and all...." I was like, "WHAAAAT?????" LOL! Grandfather saw me get all bristled up and just started laughing. In a very good natured way, I was like W.T.F.??!!!! I don't care if she's a girl, get out there and kick some ass! ;) :) And, for what it's worth, our little girl did just fine. ;)

I guess I'm glad that all the guys I ride with don't treat me like a girl. They take care of me when we're out there but they also smoke me and make me tougher. :)

I think you handled it well. I'm sure it was hard for his male ego to get passed by you twice on one ride! :)
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [siobhan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why do men think we can't ride??

I saw yesterday that we don't ride. My century ride was completed with 1 other woman among the ~20 riders at the Buffalo Bill Tour of 7 Cities Ride.

Many other women were out for the shorter distances, but I was alone on a long ride for the last 30 miles...I didn't keep up with the men.

I'll be stronger next year-maybe I will hang with them through the entire 100 miles.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to give 'em hell for the first 70! I routinely get smoked by the guys around here and most of my training partners. The guys are just relentless fast and the girls don't understand not going all-out the whole ride and usually don't want to/can't go any further than about 40. I just get my own job done.

I doubt he meant harm or any negative connotation, he was just tired and you are just fast!

AW
Quote Reply
Re: You're pretty good for a girl... [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole male-female thing in terms of athletics is fascinating. My recent experience just struck me in an odd way b/c the guy was so much older than me!

And yeah, the proportions seem definitely skewed way towards men, especially in athletes over maybe 35?? or 40?? Soooo many more of them. And also genetically they seem (I think) to be faster. Not all of coure!

Great for all the women who hang with the men riding as long as possible!! :-) Haha and even the women who surpass or pass the men.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that several girls that train with the boys and when they go back to racing against other girls, they kick ass! Well, girls always kick ass but they kick ass even moreso in races.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply