Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)!
Quote | Reply
Well, I've had 3 of my team members go down in freak accidents last week. One simple tip over in a driveway and fracturing a humerous (requiring ORIF/plate screws). Freak fixie accident with broken skull, neck, clavicle (chain sucked up something), and a stick through the leg while cycling on a perfectly safe trail (Loveland bike trail) in a group. All experienced cyclists in their 40's. Though you might enjoy these couple :)

BE SAFE out there!

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 27, 08 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would put a warning in the title. This is a little grisly.
Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos! [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops - sorry Matt, corrected! Just normal stuff for me though ;(

Re: Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, that is gnarly!! Were those all "Gears for Beers" folks? Man, I hope no one has permanent damage (especially the guy with skull and neck injuries). My thoughts go out to all of them...

Spot

Quote | Reply
that went waaaaaaaaay in there! Almost looks fake, like it was glued on on both sides. Would have expected more blood stains on the other side of the stick.

wonder what the +2 written on the left foot means.

Quote | Reply

It's in between his fib and tib? What a bizarre, freak accident!!

Wow
Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet that guy wishes he had shaved his legs ;-)

Seriously though, damn, I hope he is OK and had a full recovery, tht looks awful.

Rod you might need to find a new group, although I guess that stops the pattern at three.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)! [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The +2 is for palpation of the dorsal pedis pulse. One of the first things you worry about with an injury like that is vascular compromise.

Oddly, the tibia (shin) was intact, but the fibula was fractured.

Spot - Yes, a G4Ber (did well at IMLou as well with a top 10 AG finish I think). Others were my Zephyr Wheelsports mates. Makes me a little skiddish during cross season for sure!

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 27, 08 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have pics, but my chef was playing soccer 2 weeks ago and tripped over his own untied shoe lace. He had a double compound fracture of his right arm. Broke both bones in the forearm requiring 5 hours of surgery. I told him I was going to buy him shoes with velcro ties from now on!

Please be sure to tie your shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Of course, my first thought on seeing this was, "that looks like a challenge to image." Wonder whether the tech was able to shoot anything other than a lateral view.

Immediate second thought, though, was best wishes for speedy recovery to him. What a bizarre piece of bad luck.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)! [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! Funny how we all see things differently based on our job/experiences, etc.

Yeah, I think an AP would be pretty tough :) I have seen the X-rays too which are awesome (bit of an oblique obviously!).

I didn't post the other photo of his face for obvious reasons, but he is in VERY good spirits. MUCH better than I would be (and I don't think it was the Demerol).

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 27, 08 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. That is the most amazing bike accident photo ever. It must have taken some speed to get that through there.

Thanks for posting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could so totally make a great 3D wall poster of this if I scanned him. (Not that that would really justify the radiation exposure, but still, it'd be really cool.)

Did he get to keep the stick, or at least the pieces of it?

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And my first thought was- Damn, I hope that didn't sever his Peroneal nerve!

Keep us posted on all of their recovery. What a bizarre string of accidents!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy Bleep, Rod!!!
How did he manage to get that branch through his leg?
And, you're right, It's hard to believe that his tibia is ok....And his artery. He does have reassuringly pink toenails.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ouch.

amazing that such a large stick went through between Tib and Fib.

my first thoughts: get antibiotics on board and how do you approach getting that out and repairing?

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How, exactly, does one get a stick through the leg on the Loveland Bike Trail????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear GOD man!!! HOW does one get a relatively blunt object like a stick to go THAT FAR THRU their leg?!?!!!!!

JAKERS!!!!

Hope the recovery is as quick and complete as it can possibly be.
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)! [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How, exactly, does one get a stick through the leg on the Loveland Bike Trail????

Same way you break your humerus in your driveway or your skull on a fixie - freak accidents like I said! Honestly, I have no idea. When I heard of the injury right after, I just assumed a much smaller, pointy stick - never imagined a branch of this size!!! But, I've seen enough strenge injuries to never second guess anything. You should see what a hockey puck hitting your skate from a slapshot can do (a more recent nasty injury I saw this week).

Quote | Reply
It's a fake. A saw this on another website in which they show the leg makeup prior to adhering the stick. If you not how the rounded, even smoothed ends of the stick as they didn't use on from the forest, but from the "back lot".

Looks good though.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)! [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where's the website you saw it on?
Quote Reply
Re: Freak bike accident photos (open w/ caution - photos not very pleasant)! [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!

Getting the rest of the photos now ... Can't believe someone would post "fake", but this is an internet forum I guess ... The flat edges are from where the paramedics (or whoever picked him up) sawed off the even bigger branch. I have no idea why they didn't make it a little closer!

I suppose I could scan the OR record, ER admission sheet, etc. That would do, no!

Geez ...

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 27, 08 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he doesnt shave his legs!!!!!???

ouch

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, couple more - we have lots ...

Quote | Reply
oh my.... those are awful.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next