Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Confession of someone who works at home
Quote | Reply
I'm not home every day but usually at least once a week. Right now I am going on 3 days in a row. I have forgotten how to communicate to the outside world. My couch has a big dent in it from my ass. My emails are starting to make less sense. I haven't showered in...uh...I forget how many days. I know I'm on day 3 of my pajamas that I haven't taken off.

Suprisingly I am still productive because I'm usually available for 12 hours a day even if I'm not working the whole time. I work sporatically during the day and can still be doing stuff at 8 pm.

But, it is getting pretty bad for my social and grooming skills. Even my husband is giving me shit. I have a run today, maybe I'll shower afterwards. Maybe not.

Good news is that I'm leaving the house tomorrow for meetings all day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate you.

Quote | Reply
What you need is a morning swim club. That way you are forced to dress and shower for the day. Makes you feel good too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's good news for you, but... What your fellow meeting attendees have asked me to ask you is: Will you shower and change out of your pajamas before the meetings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On man, I love working from home. Like you, it makes me available for many more hours then I would normally be, but I love the fact that I can get so many errands done during the week (quick run to the dry cleaner, stopped by Costco, filled up the car, did laundry - and that's just thus far today) that would otherwise normally get pushed off to the weekend. It gives me and the better half so much more quality time to spend together. Granted, we usually spend it biking (before the leg break) but that's quality time, right?

The two things that have been key for me - no tv on at all (I turn on NPR if I want some background noise), and actually getting up and getting dressed. Besides, the dry cleaning guy really doesn't want to see me in my pjs. :)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might, I might not. Haven't decided yet. :-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What cuds said... ;-)

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news! I left the house for 20 minutes and took a shower! The hubby is very happy.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, at least you wear pajamas when you are working from home. Me, not so much :P
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [Maui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ack! TMI TMI!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted to work from home, but somehow, expressing a dog's anal sacs on my dining table just doesn't sound like fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not to hijack -- those sacs -- my bassett is dragging her butt on the carpet. can an owner do it herself? (ick, ick, ick) how?

ps glad you're okay from ike. and the critters too. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work from home too and, after 13 years of it, I'd have a hard time going back to a regular job. My only salvation is that I have to drive my kids to school, so I at least have to get up at a relatively decent time, get dressed and look somewhat presentable in order to drive them.

I love the freedom that working from home gives me. I can do chores, workout when I want to (no 4:00 am alarm for me!), coach my daughters' teams, etc. I also work for myself, so I can be as busy as I want to be since I decide how much work I want to take on. Usually I take everything that comes my way which makes for some stressful weeks when I'm overloaded. I often have to work a few hours late at night to catch up and often on vacation I have to do a bit of work, but that's nothing compared to the benefits I get.

I would love to see more and more companies allow their employees to work from home on a regular basis. You have to really be able to trust your employees because it's easy to take advantage of the situation, but I think it's a major benefit to give them and I believe many employees can be more productive at home.
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I would love to see more and more companies allow their employees to work from home on a regular basis. You have to really be able to trust your employees because it's easy to take advantage of the situation, but I think it's a major benefit to give them and I believe many employees can be more productive at home.
Some company cultures are odd this way, and others quite supportive. I can work pretty much where and when I choose so long as the primary metrics of my performance (software deliveries, invention disclosures / patents, research papers) are met, and my employer (Boeing) even gets some incentive from Washington state to the extent that telecommuters reduce traffic congestion. I find it does take extra discipline to work at home, where I am surrounded by a collection of non-work related potential distractions (like my cats, who see my laptop as usurping a lap that belongs to them.) Microsoft, from what my developer friends who work there tell me, is OK with working from home so long as it's before you go into the office or after you've gone home after being there all day, but at least for that class of jobs is not very supportive of working from home on a regular basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a new job at my company that I'll be starting Oct. 6th. They have asked me if after I'm trained, if I'd be willing to work from home regularly 2 days a week. I said I would try it, but not sure if I'd like it or not or if I'd be motivated enough. I'm thinking I would be, I was plenty motivated enough in college to do the work on my own.
I'm enjoying hearing the positives listed so far.
I'm definitely going to give it a try.
Basically my company is doing it because we're growing like crazy but have run out of office space.
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My suggestion, get a workspace devoted specifically to work. Keep all bills, mail, crap off of it. When I work at my desk I am the most productive.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My chiro office is in part of my house. I love it. No commuting and it also makes no sense to throw money away renting an office IMO. Of course people are coming or going all the time so it's not like I'm sitting in front of a computer by myself all day. That would eventually really drive me nuts.

What I like about my office is that at the end of the day I can shut it off physically from the rest of the house by two French doors. If you're going to have a home office, my advice is have it seperate from the rest of the house if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to work at home as much as possible right now. I just hate the drive into work, plus classes have just started so the traffic is even worse. Mainly, I have to write software, papers, and grants, and I do that best when no one is around.

Quote | Reply
Yup, I'm in marketing and I do mostly cat herding and that is done over the phone and via email. My only presence in the office is driven by meetings.

I'm a consultant so I don't have a regular office and need to squat an open space in order to work there. It is the perfect excuse to not come in. What is fun about it though is that my husband is a real employee at the company with his own office so if I have a couple hours I'll go sit with him. We get a suprising amount of work done that way.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked from home this summer coordinating volunteers for a race company. I really liked the flexibility, because I would train in the morning, work for a few hours, train again in the afternoon, then work some more in the late afternoon. I never had to get insanely early or deal with bad commutes. I did however miss the people contact, although I coach rowing in the evenings so I always see people then. I was VERY guilty of not making myself ready for the day. I'd sit at my laptop in gym shorts and a sports bra, and then throw a t-shirt on when I had to leave the apartment. Stacy and Clinton from "what not to wear" would have had a heart attack!!

I am moving to Boulder and looking for a new job now, and I think the ideal would be some work in an office/outside, and some work from home. I like variety!

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just going through the laundry basket and I was reminded of this thread. The types of clothing that dominate my laundry basket are workout clothes and pajamas. By a lot.

I'm working at home more often that I was back in September but my state of mind seems to be better. Lack of regular meetings on campus aren't bothering me at all. I have adjusted well to my hermet lifestyle.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not home every day but usually at least once a week. Right now I am going on 3 days in a row. I have forgotten how to communicate to the outside world. My couch has a big dent in it from my ass. My emails are starting to make less sense. I haven't showered in...uh...I forget how many days. I know I'm on day 3 of my pajamas that I haven't taken off.

Suprisingly I am still productive because I'm usually available for 12 hours a day even if I'm not working the whole time. I work sporatically during the day and can still be doing stuff at 8 pm.

But, it is getting pretty bad for my social and grooming skills. Even my husband is giving me shit. I have a run today, maybe I'll shower afterwards. Maybe not.

Good news is that I'm leaving the house tomorrow for meetings all day.

LOL! All you need is couple of cats and you'll fill the stereotype... "Cat Lady" ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Confession of someone who works at home [swimfan®] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, well, funny you should mention that. I have 5. Yeah, my husband isn't thrilled about it.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have 5."

We have five cats also. My wife is definately the "crazy cat lady". I'm the "dog guy". They're not (cats or dog) normally allowed in my office during working hours btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you should mention this, because one of my New Year's resolutions was to work from home less and make myself drag my sorry butt to campus more than just my teaching days. So far ... a mixed record!
Quote Reply

Prev Next