Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08
Quote | Reply
A little late this week, but here's our thread to brag or confess about how your week went last week.

For me:
  • Had a decent week of training with a long run and a 4:45 ride.
  • Weight is down a bit
  • My under-12 basketball team won their first game!!

This week:
  • Two rides, including one long one of 5:30; four runs, including a long one of 2 hrs
  • Weigh less than last week even if it's only 0.1 lb

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn, nice job with the long rides and runs!

My only goal for last week: stay healthy and injury free to race a half marathon on Saturday. I didn't manage healthy, or injury free... got a cold (the worst of it was Thursday), anterior tibialis tendon/muscle had some inflammation. Decided not to race due to the combination of the two, a smart choice, but was sad to miss the race :-(

Training totals from last week - 33.1 mi run, 37 min water running, 17.3k swim, 2 yoga classes, 45 min elliptical. Not bad I guess for being sick half the week.

THIS WEEK:
-There's a local 5k on Friday morning - yes, Friday morning - I already got permission to miss my one class on that morning - so the goal is stay healthy/get the inflammation out of the tendon/muscle so I can do that race! Along those lines,
-rest tomorrow
-short run on Thursday (lets say 4-6.5 mi and I'm giving myself an 'out' here with saying 6.5, the shorter the better really...)
-normal race w/u on Friday (35 min or so) then the race.

Other goals for the week,
-foam roll and stretch 2x a day
-shoulder and IT band strength stuff every other day
-swim 20k
-at least 1 yoga class
-get an A on my physics test... study for 90 min today on physics (test is Thurs., it will be hard to find time today but I can get 90 min in I think, and have lots of time tomorrow to study)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 23, 08 4:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dawn for the umpteenth time for doing this! I noticed it wasn't up yesterday, was going to start it myself, then got too busy... Woke up and here it is! :-)
Also good for you for long rides/runs, and for tigerchik - good healing thoughts!!!

I had a really good week last week. I'm away from home and have access to lovely country roads for biking/running and more time to cook.

What I did

4 bike rides
added 1 instead of a 3rd walk/run, including a nice hilly shorter route I haven't done all year
also did a ride that I *think* (not sure) I tried last year or the year before and turned around b/c it seemd too hilly

2 run/walks - increasing distance of run time
still feels a little like trotting, not running, but they are getting faster and I have no knee pain. yay!

3 swims
unfortunately they were very short due to bad time management but better something than nothing!
I have to plan my time better

2 stretch/core/foam roll
but I did stretch after every walk/run

oh and one big weight-training session
usually when I do weights it's somewhat lightweight (pun intended) but this was a good long sore-the-next-day thing

I also lost a little weight, not sure how much as my scale is a different one from the week before and not digital/totally accurate.

This week:

1-3 swims, depending on schedule (I have to drive kinda far to swim)
3-4 bikes
2-3 walk/run things
1 weights
continue eating well - no junk - food only that I've made except for one day over weekend
plan time better - leave the house when I say I will every day and go to sleep before midnight

Important: stretch/core/foam roll THREE times. That is the one thing I continually seem to not do. That is also why I wanted to post!!! Accountabililty helps!

On a personal note, I finished a first draft of a play I'm writing about swimming, Esther Williams, and falling in love, last night!! That's my other challenge: to write on a regular basis, not cram it in last-minute like I just did. Okay I know that isn't totally related to this but again accountability helps. MAYBE announcing I plan on writing regularly will help me actually do it!

Thanks again all
Mindy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
I got my new training plan last night and I'm ramping it up. Lots of riding, all small chain ring, easy stuff, just lots of time, so it will be a challenge to get back into the mental mindset. (Rode 6 days, including 3 days on the rollers, which I'm getting better at.)

Also racing on the track Friday night, so goal there is to have fun since it's the last Friday night race of the year. (Did two races Friday night and had a blast. Also got 5th in one so won coffee and chain lube.)

Probably doing a cyclocross race on Sunday so goal will be to remember how to get on/off the bike and how to go hard until your eyeballs are going to pop out. (Raced cross and was on the podium. Even did better in the sand than I thought and only hit the ground once.)

This week:

Ride the bike x 6 days

Swim twice

Race cyclocross on Sunday and try and stay upright.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that your award included chain lube!! Ha!

Great job everyone! Tigerchik sent me a PM gently reminding me about this thread. I was busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to put it up there. I'm glad everyone's still finding it useful. I know that I often think about it during the week thinking "I'd better get going on this workout cuz I gotta fess up on Monday if I don't!".

Mindy - congrats on the writing that you've done so far. Keep it up. I think this thread has more to do with overall goals than just athletic ones. Definitely keep posting non-athletic stuff too.

For all you lurkers out there, get posting! It's great to get your stuff written down and start making yourself accountable for what you want to do each week!! We need more people posting on here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rode a century on Saturday and was consistently ahead of my group, plus not tired at the end. Encouraging. Also, only ate what I brought on the ride in spite of the fact that this century ride had the most delish looking food -- bar cookies, fresh fruit, hot pasta... mmmm.... But I stuck to my plan to test it out. I think I need to bring just a little more food than I thought. Looking for something portable and salty. Perhaps PB sandwich crackers?

Missed Masters due to hubbie screwing up what time he had to be home from his ride so I could go. Sort of a bummer since lately I am having trouble staying in the pool for more than 2000 yd. I get to 2000, and it is like I go on autopilot and get out. Since I should be swimming 3k-4k at least, so I need to get over this crap quick.

Got in a few short runs -- nothing long since I had done the marathon the weekend before. Felt fine on the run. Trying to break in a new pair of Newtons before IMFL.

Gained a pound. :( Not sure why. Maybe just cutting back to recover after the mary? I took Monday and Tuesday off. Or maybe I should not have eaten that entire bag of candy pumpkins -- I love those things. Damn Halloween has to be the DAY BEFORE IMFL. Whose idea was that? :)

-Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your play sounds wicked cool

I will go do schoolwork now. Am so overwhelmed with it I don't even want to start it :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My main goal was to have a good race on Sunday, I've been focusing on my swim and felt great during the race. Rode and ran hard and ended up 8/41 AG and 25/212 overall female. The course was a bit longer than last year and my time was a bit faster, so that made me happy. Looking at the results there was less than 2 minutes between 3rd and 8th place in my AG... crazy close... If only I swam faster!

This week it's time to start focusing and actually training rather than just working out. Local sprint in Oct, then 2 weeks later SOMA Quarterman which I want to improve my time from last year too.

Diet was neither here nor there... I don't need to lose, but like all us athletes, I wouldn't mind.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) Swim at least once with my masters team (I miss them as I didn't see them in taper or since the race) -- I didn't make practice with my team as I had a fundraiser on Wed night and practice was canceled on Saturday. But I did do Wed workout alone on Friday night and had a great swim. Even did a couple of 50 fly (and did the fly the whole way).

2) Short ride on the road bike (I promised my road bike he would see some riding again) -- Didn't ride the bike. I ended up having to work all day on Sat and Sunday's ride was replaced with a kayak lesson.

3) Meeting with the coach to discuss 2009 -- Done. 2009 will be just like 2008-- April bike focus camp, Triple T and IM WI with more thrown in for fun. This fall/winter will also be focused on doing different things -- trail running, adventure racing, etc.

4) Limit the goodies in my diet -- Maintained weight which is awesome since I am down in training volume so much.

Goals for this week:
1) Finish my first Kayak race -- a 4 X 4-mile relay.
2) Swim with the masters team
3) Try to make friends with my bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a great weekend mountain biking and trail running in the mountains. There was only minor bloodshed - a first for me on a mountain bike..I seem to have a crash test dummy vibe going on... Skipped a strength session & 1 swim. Horrible diet. (Scones & chocolate cake were involved.)
For this week: I will do strength workouts. 18 mile run then taper for Oly. Get back in the pool. Eat better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last weeks goals:
  • Do not train until doctor gives the ok...(my wife is keeping a close watch on this one)

B...havent done a real workout yet....
  • walk 4 times...very easy....

A...Got in 4 walks and two of these were easy pole hiking where my hear rate was 55% of max....barely aerobic but its helping me in the process of easing back to training...
  • Revise Adventure Run course as necessary...

C...didnt revise as much as I wanted but it should be good...
  • Return permits for adventure run...

A...done....
  • get appt to see surgeon to see when I can begin to train safely...start with swimming?...mild stair climbing?

C...I have an appt Friday...later than I wanted but very low level hiking is keeping me from going crazy...
  • Keep weight around 174...

A...stayed around 173 all week...lower at times, despite no working out....

Goals for this week:
  • 6 hours of mild hiking or other training if allowed after Fridays dr appt
  • keep weight around 174

Funny, sometimes is easier to control my weight when I am not training....my wife claims that she ALWAYS weighs less when she stops training.....weird......anyone else experience this?
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Funny, sometimes is easier to control my weight when I am not training....my wife claims that she ALWAYS weighs less when she stops training.....weird......anyone else experience this?
Interersting you say that. I have one of my pics from CA 70.3 in my office and one of my staff said "You've lost weight since then"... I think I am lighter with less training, and with IMAZ 2009 training starting next year, I'm going to have to really watch what I eat... I think a lot of people have experienced the same.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a bad week for me at all :-)

I got in not 1, not 2, but 3 trainer workouts!!! All were 40 minutes, HR under 150, but I'm happy to be back in the saddle.

I got in one swim on friday ...I think that was my first time in the pool in 3 months. Although it probably looked more like I was drowning than swimming, the 1800yds went pretty smoothly.

I did great with my nutrition during the week, but that collapsed when my fiancee came home for the weekend. He eats so much crap, and it is so hard to resist cake when he is sitting in front of me savoring a huge piece.

In non-tri related news, I finished my PhD qualifying exam proposal, got it approved by 3 faculty members, and have officially finished step 1 of 3 to become an official PhD candidate!!! Yay!!!

Goals for this week:

-Keep the light workouts going, including moving more during the day (walking around campus, mowing the lawn, etc.)

-Watch the nutrition. This is key ...my meds can only do so much for me, and if i get something re-irritated and inflamed it is back into the vicious cycle that will require high doses of steroids to control. I really don't want that. I'm still kicking myself for choosing cake over my well-being this the weekend ...ugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In non-tri related news, I finished my PhD qualifying exam proposal, got it approved by 3 faculty members, and have officially finished step 1 of 3 to become an official PhD candidate!!! Yay!!!
Awesome!!! Congrats on that. Big steps :D

I'm still kicking myself for choosing cake over my well-being this the weekend ...ugh.
Don't ever kick yourself for cake. I would sell my soul for a piece of delicious chocolate cake right now. Mmmm... cake.

Quote | Reply
It wasn't even chocolate, though ...it was one of my fiancee's 'inventions'.

-vanilla cake with white chocolate pieces mixed in
-drizzle cooled cake with homemade raspberry simple syrup for extra moistness
-some sort of brazilian custard between the layers (sugar, condensed milk, 6 egg yolks)
-raspberry jam on top of that
-ice with cream cheese icing

Can you say YIKES!?!?! It was AMAZING, but I think it comes close to the all time record of calories per ounce :-P
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on PHD progress!! Cake sounds amazing...
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I am testing this theory for the past 4 weeks. I haven't been able to work out, because of this I am logging my diet to make sure I do not gain weight. I haven't lost any weight, but I did notice that the scale doesn't fluctuate as much from day to day. It has stayed steady at 164. When I am working out, it could change + or - 5lbs every day. WEIRD.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [lkkowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An explanation, perhaps:

Training increases your body's ability to store glycogen in the liver and muscles. With every 1g CHO stored, 4g water are stored. That's a lot of "water weight."

If you have a long day you may be glycogen depleted and lose it... your electrolytes will play into how much water's in your body... the fluctuation day to day is mostly water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here goes...

last week
Food: Record my calories every day in Calorie King and keep them to 1300 days I don't workout and 1500 on days I train for more than an hour. RMR is 1300 so that should be OK for maintaining energy. Get 100 grams of protein a day. Keep carbs to ~45%.

Didn't record every day but when did I was spot on for calories. On those days the carbs were high but they were long run days and the gels really ramp that up.

Weight: Drop 1 lb

I dropped 2!!!

Workouts: Run 4x, swim 1. Opt bike trainer/run brick. PT exercises 3x.

Got in all 4 runs, 1 swim. Forgot about PT exercises. :P

Planning: Meet with ultra coach to get plan, kick off official training for my 100 on Saturday!

Yay! I'm all sent with my plan and started with a long run/walk on Saturday and Sunday.

This week:
Food: Start recording my food daily. I need to keep an eye on my protien as I think I'm not getting enough.
Weight: Drop 1 pound
Workouts: 5 runs, 1 swim, PT 3x

I seem to be getting back on track. Woop!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay - I am REALLY PROUD OF MYSELF - one of my goals for this week was to do a short run this morning, racing tomorrow, I only ran four miles. Was SO hard to do just a short run, I feel like I haven't run at all, but I'm trying sooooooooooooooo hard to stay healthy.

didn't manage the "no run on Wednesday," I ran 6.5 yesterday. But I did a good job with this morning. GO ME!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh yeah, it's physics test time, I've studied and am confident and ready to get this over with too :D then the first round of exams will be over for me, WOOO HOO!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you, TC. I'm not one of those type-A's that everyone talks about, so I'm always a little confused when someone says they have a hard time *not* doing a workout. Staying healthy is the name of the game, so stick to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm too OCD for my own good

physics test went pretty well, I could've used more time but that's ok, I got most of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey good for you for not running so much! I relate to that sooooo much. I screwed my kneees up by not resting enough after banging them up waaay back in early July... this time around I'm being much more cautious. Maybe too cautious! But better overly cautious than underly. :-)

Today I jogged for 10 whole minutes!! and walked for two - then jogged 10 more!! - then actually RAN for 4!! I've built up to that over the past 5-6 weeks from one minute walk/one minute jog which was more like a trot. I SO wanted to run more - felt fine - but didn't want to overdo it. And I actually remembered your post and it helped me NOT run more.

Also congrats on the physics test!

HaHa I "think" I am not one of those OCD types but I really secretly know I am. Let us remember: Rest can be GOOD. Rest can be GOOD. Guilt is not helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do" Thread 9/22/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glad to be helpful and YAY for you 4 min running!!!

"Rest can be GOOD. Guilt is not helpful."
I like that... I do not feel guilty resting usually, just ANTSY!. but on a general principle I really like that second sentence.

Quote Reply