Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

triathlon club web site help please
Quote | Reply
Our very small club is ready to do a web site. If anyone belongs to a club and would like to share, I would really appreciate it. thanks
Last edited by: timberdick: Sep 13, 08 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my running club's website is awesome --

http://www.edenathletics.com

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is it you are interested in? what software? what ISP / hosting provider? Do you have a first cut at the functionality your club would like, as that will help drive answers to the first 2.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy crap. Your reply sounds like a foreign language!!! Thanks for your response. I clearly have a lot of research to do!!!! I can't answer one of your questions!!! someone is designing the site. And she asked what we wanted. I thought I'd look at other sites for help. I have some work to do. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for your response. I will definitely check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your web site is awesome!!!! It's full of great information. I love how you guys have links to other sites. And it seems like people can write in or on the site??? like on the forum. I want to have the calendar thing, so visitors have a way of finding out info. on training or racing events. thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, with the forum everyone writes in the Daily Log - I tend to take custody of that and start the thing every day, as my run is usually done by 6:30 am so I'm up and at it :-) but anyone can start a new forum message. As far as getting those on the front page, a couple of us have the editing powers to make that happen. And there are lots of forum sections - used less then the daily log - but we've a Training Talk section, one for Injury and Recovery - I've posted some of my exercise phys papers under both of those.
The calendar is cool and if you click an event, if there are results, race reports, or photos from past years, they are usually linked from it. This takes a lot of work, but our Editor is really good about taking care of that.
Likewise anyone can upload photos, we all have our own image galleries, and it's easy enough to get photos in a post...

Awesome website... awesome CLUB. I am lucky to be part of such a great group. I do want to note that Eden has no religious connection in this sense... we are based in Mt Desert, Maine. The Island was called Eden when it was first settled.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I smiled at your note about the name of your club, Eden. At first, it did not even come to my mind about any religious connection, because my address is eden. You guys sound so much better organized then we are. And we live on an island as well. Our problem is everyone struggles so much just to try and make it here, with people having 2 and 3 jobs, our schedules are impossible to work with, as far as training together. So, everyone ends up training solo. I'm hoping a web site will bring a little unity to our small group. thanks again for your support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the fact that we live on an island may be why we're organized! LOL

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live on an island too. BUT, I'm afraid we are disorganized because of it. Maybe its the difference in the islands. You're from Maine, I'm from the virgin islands????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find an IT guy who does triathlons and give him/her free membership in the club if they set-up the website ;-) Much easier than learning.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [RH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Find an IT guy who does triathlons and give him/her free membership in the club if they set-up the website ;-) Much easier than learning.
As just such an IT guy, I've done this for a few clubs / teams I'm involved with. There are examples of software combinations (Apache / PHP / MySQL / VBulletin) that only require a modest knowledge of the details of each to get a site up and running. The key issues here in most volunteer-run clubs is how much spare time do those involved in the site really have, and how much customization of the stock functionality / look and feel of the web site software is desired. If the answer to the second issue is 'not much', then a site can be live in a few days, but there's really no upper limit on how much longer it can take if the additional work needed to support changes is great enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
my running club's website is awesome --

http://www.edenathletics.com
Who hosts your site? I'm getting ready to start working on a site for our club.

John Mickle
ECI Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [RH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

John Mickle
ECI Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a little side business teaching running classes. I registered my website name (you google the registration sites to make sure you get a unique URL). I then signed up for a 5 year contract with Yahoo - it costs me $13 (CDN) a month. With that you also get free software to create your webpages. It's called Ysitebuilder - if you can use Word or MS Publisher, you'll be able to figure it out. You'll also get an email address which your club could use as a contact email.
The site is www.perpmotion.com

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [kimbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the great advice. very much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [jmickle11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a great idea too. But our club is so small and the population pool is so small, we would be hard pressed to attract an IT guy. Maybe someone from America will move here and bring their passion for triathlon and computer stuff. Or maybe we could attract a stateside person with the appeal of belonging to a club from the virgin islands. thanks for your tidbit. It inspired me to be creative in a new line of thought.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [jmickle11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
our web host -- dreamhost.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my club's website: http://www.latriclub.com/
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon club web site help please [Maui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your club's website. It's really great. You are fortunate to belong to such a great group. and have so many opportunities.
Quote Reply