Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

mens vs. womens wetsuit fit
Quote | Reply
To piggyback on the other wetsuit post...

how many ladies out there wear (or have worn) a guys wetsuit. If so, what kind, how did you like it, and how would you describe your 'body type?'

I currently own a mens sleeveless wetsuit (its pretty old)...but am in the market for a new one w/ sleeves. I feel like there are always better deals on a guys suits, so I will probably buy a mens again. Has anyone noticed an extreme differences in fit? I kind of believe that fit really doesn't have to "be perfect" (tight and good range of motion)...as long as it helps you float...it will work well.
Quote Reply
Re: mens vs. womens wetsuit fit [gumby10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never tried one on other than my DeSoto so I couldn't say if there's a difference in fit. What I do know is that I put it on for the first time the morning of IMC and swam the 2.4 miles in total comfort. Strikes me that as long as you size it up properly it won't matter much. That said, women's one piece suits may be made for the womanly body. Squeezing a womanly body into a mens might be an issue - that's why the two piece is great... you can go different top/bottom sizes.

Quote | Reply
My first wetsuit was a men's suit and there's a pretty significant difference. I never knew that the crotch wasn't supposed to be 6 inches below my crotch and the chest wasn't supposed to constrict my breathing. I think some of the newer suits now (like desoto two piece) are more pliable so they're unisex. Check out the desoto t1. Everyone I know who has one raves about it and you have the flexility of a sleeveless (just the bottoms) and full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I kind of believe that fit really doesn't have to "be perfect" (tight and good range of motion)...as long as it helps you float...it will work well.

I work at a triathlon store, and spend quite a bit of my time fitting wetsuits. When you're making an investment in a new wetsuit, you do want the fit to be perfect, or at least as close to perfect as possible (some people are nearly impossible to fit, and will have some wrinkling in the arms or legs). The most important thing is that it fits snugly in the upper body. Three places to check for gapping are in the crotch, the small of the back, and the armpits. Now is a good time to buy, as most '08 models are on closeout, and, at least at the store I work at, men's suits are never better deals than women's suits. Check your local tri store and see if they are having a wetsuit sale, because they probably are. Don't invest hard-earned money in a suit that doesn't fit well, and thus slow you down and makes you miserable in the water!!!

I hope that helps :)
Quote Reply
Re: mens vs. womens wetsuit fit [Lucy!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both of the tri wetsuits I've owned are/were men's (QR and orca). I tried on several women's suits both times, but they never seemed to fit quite right - too small in the shoulders and too loose in the tummy.

In terms of body type, I would say I have a distinctly un-manly frame. I have a 34 E chest and 40" hips - not exactly boyish, so i've never quite understood why the guys' suit fit me better. I'm pretty tall, tho - 5'9 and 150lbs - so maybe being man-height/weight has something to do with it....

Good luck. My advice is to buys what fits and not worry about what it says on the label.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of the four suits I have had, three were men's. The one I had that was a women's just never fit right--too much room in the chest, shoulders and neck too tight. I really liked the suit, I just wish now I would have bought the men's model.

I am fairly tall (5'9.5"), solidly built--broad shoulders and hips, not much waist. Not much chest. I'm not fat, but to get a suit that fits my waist and hips, if I buy a women's one, I end up with too much boobs. I'm just built more like a dude (sans the Package, obviously), than a chick.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: mens vs. womens wetsuit fit [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe that's what I need to try! I swear, it's the chest/shoulders that's always my issue--too big. I keep saying I just need a boob job to fix it (DH is all about that one btw ;) ). Huh. I'm going to check that out. Thx!
Quote Reply