Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Miscarriage
Quote | Reply
Ladies, I'm in need of some advice. I had a miscarriage Monday to Tuesday. My medical attention was good, and no procedure was necessary (I was early on, so my body took care of things). I'm experiencing symptoms: nausea, crying on and off, some residual cramping, a lot of fatigue. I know that this is to be expected, possibly for a couple of weeks. My questions are: when do I resume training, and will it help alleviate these symptoms? My husband and female friends have been very supportive, for which I'm very thankful. But, I haven't received any training advice as a lot of my girls aren't triathletes, or familiar with the volume/intensity of training we are. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Miscarriage [yourtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note: not a doctor here (and I'm sure Cat will chime in soon!!)

What I would do... do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you feel like you can jet out for an hour run, go for it. If a 20 minute swim is all you can muster do that. If you don't feel like doing anything, don't. Just do what your body & mind tell you is right.

Edit: Oh & take care of you! If you need a piece of chocolate cake, you should have it - and think of me because I miss it!

Last edited by: cuds: Sep 20, 08 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First I am SO sorry. Having gone through 4 losses myself I really do understand what you are feeling.

There is no harm in training - just listen to your body. Yes, training will help with both the emotional turmoil and the cramping as long as you do not over do it. Even though it was early, your hormone levels are shifting wildly, and your uterus needs to heal. Make sure you eat right and get rest.

If you feel like training go for it.

It is also perfectly acceptable to grab a bottle of alcohol of choice and go to bed! regardless of when in the pregnancy, it is still a loss and you need to allow yourself to feel that and mourn it. We become mothers when we see 2 lines on that stick....the loss and the tears that go with it are very real.

I am glad you have good support.

big hugs

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Miscarriage [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow... I was reading all that thinking who is this person? Then I saw lol. Between you and PirateGirl I'm all confused :P

Quote | Reply
can only offer (((((((hugs)))))))))

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Miscarriage [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am TriToy everywhere else and just figured I would be consistent ;-) and it suits me!

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Miscarriage [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ladies for the advice and support! :) Big Hugs to all of you, as well. The liquor store and a really good bakery sound like great therapy, BTW. ;)

Doc, I never even thought about the fact my uterus would be healing. The hormones fluctuating I understood better, but the healing I never gave any thought to, so THANK YOU for bringing that to my attention. I appreciate it a lot! And you are right: there is something different and wonderful about knowing that you are. It's sad that it's not meant to be right now, but I know those feelings will pass with time.

Today, my body is fatigued, so I took your advice and spent some time talking and giggling with a good friend.

Thanks, again, for all the wonderful suggestions and information! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I'm sorry about your loss. In 2003, I had two losses, one at 11 weeks and the other at 6 weeks. The best training advice I'd have for you is to listen to your body. If I recall correctly, I took a week off from training after my second loss, resumed training, and wore myself out. My doctor told me to slow down so my body would have time to recover.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you had this experience, it can be brutal with the hormones and emotions. I miscarried at 12 weeks earlier this year and ended up taking 6 months off from baby making so I could train for a while and it was a good choice for me, I had a great time and the exercise definitely helped with depression. It took a week or so for my body to feel right afterward though, so do take a break and let things settle down. I wish you the best!
Quote Reply
Re: Miscarriage [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erika,

Am I to assume that you are now back to trying? If so are you still exercising? (notice how I used the word excercising and not training...lol!) I've been instructed to excersie "moderately" and I'm trying to figure out what that means.
Quote Reply
Re: Miscarriage [Rika] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think "moderately" probably means "Don't wear yourself out too much." What's "moderate" for you might be "way too much" for someone else. If you've overdone it, you'll know.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I had 2 miscarriages and I didn't feel like doing much after either one. I would take things easy - your body needs time to adjust and you need time to absorb the loss. I tend to be a little cautious, but I would do less rather than more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I don't have any training advice but wanted to give you a BIg Hug! Sorry for your loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Miscarriage [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, again, ladies! Your well wishes and advice are invaluable. :)

To those of you who have miscarried, sometimes more than once, my heart goes out to each and every one of you. It's a hard thing to have to go through, and I am grateful for all the support you have given me.

I'm feeling much, much better, though not up to training...yet. My body is tired, and I'm giving it a lot of TLC. But, I'm dreaming about training, so where the mind leads, the body wants to follow. All in good time, I know...for everything.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear you're taking it easy. I had a miscarriage that involved surgery, so it may be a different recovery. I felt like training because I think of training as something that makes me feel better. And because I get stir crazy when I don't. But when I tried even going for a walk/jog I regretted it later because I was so tired.

Take care of yourself.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply