Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bicycle pumps
Quote | Reply
My grown daughter started cycling a couple of years ago. She carries co2 because she says she doesn't have the strength to work a hand pump. Is this a common issue for women? If so, are there pumps that are more female friendly than others? I think she should at least have a pump for backup in case the co2 isn't enough. Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always bring C02 because it is easier to pack and I don't get tired from pumping up the tire. I also can get a better PSI than if I do a handheld pump. So, in my case, a handheld isn't as effective as the cartridge because of strength and ease of use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topeak Road Morph. As the name implies, it's a frame pump that acts like a floor pump. I still prefer CO2, but I used to carry that one while riding and had no issues with getting enough PSI or tearing off presta valves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a co2 inflator that has a hand pump as well. I've read too many RR about people who blow all their co2 before they can get it into their tire. I don't want my race or training ride to be over just because I was an idiot inflating my tire!

Most hand pumps are tough to get enough air pressure into the tire. I see the hand pump as just providing enough air to get you back home or to your car or to the next aide station.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Most hand pumps are tough to get enough air pressure into the tire. I see the hand pump as just providing enough air to get you back home or to your car or to the next aide station. <<

Exactly. When riding solo, I always stick a mini-pump in my jersey as a back up. I've been stuck without before and walking isn't fun.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry 2 spare tube and 3 CO2 cartridges. 1 in the inflator and 2 spares. On the road, it is important to use the valve locknut to hold the tube in the rim to make sure you get a good seal with the inflator.

I've been riding a long time and carried a frame pump for years, but it is a bit of nostalgia I can do without. They were always rattling and never worked right when you really need them to.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree withe android, I carry two spare tubes and two CO2 cartridges. And before I started carrying them, I practiced filling my tire with the CO2 cartridge at home so I'd know how it worked, hopefully to minimize the chances of messing it up while on the road.

As android said, it's really important to use the lock nut to properly position the valve stem before you try inflating it.

Just one cautionary note, if you leave a semi-used cartridge in the inflator, the CO2 does seem to seep out over time. Or maybe it's just my inflator. I carry two cartridges in addition to what's still attached to the inflator.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Just one cautionary note, if you leave a semi-used cartridge in the inflator, the CO2 does seem to seep out over time. Or maybe it's just my inflator. I carry two cartridges in addition to what's still attached to the inflator.

BrokenSpoke
They all deflate in a day or two. The left over CO2 goes in the trash when you get home and repack the break down bag.
I put a new CO2 in the inflator, but I don't ever turn the inflator to break the CO2 cartridge until I'm ready to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [android] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy your co2 at Walmart, in their hunting section, otherwise you'll go broke buying them at shops.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [steveandbarb1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think wally world only have threadless. Correct me if im wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle pumps [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a place that sells a dozen threaded for 12.50

http://www.redrockminnesota.com/...gram-Threaded/Detail
Quote Reply