Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wetsuit Fit--HELP!
Quote | Reply
I'm currently in wetsuit hell and need some help! I'm really not sure just how snugly they're supposed to fit. This past winter, I got a deal on a Blue Seventy Helix full suit. I went by the manufacturer's size chart and recommendations from staff when ordering the size. I'm 5'7", about 143lbs. Small chested and pretty lean (i.e. most people don't believe I weigh as much as I do--and 143 is on my lower end). Anyway, I swam in my Blue Seventy Suit in one Olympic distance race this spring and my arms fatigued really fast, felt like the suit was dragging down on me. (For what it's worth, when I first had it on, it felt great, I didn't have that claustorphobic, "freak out" feeling when I first got in the water). Later this summer, I go to swim with my coach--her first question is...who sized you in that suit--it's too big. And, there is actually a fair amount of room up top. We swim and again, when I first get in, it feels ok but then after swimming a few hundred meters, my shoulders are tired and it seems like the whole suit has slipped down. Yes, I took the time to pull it all up, into my crotch, worked the arms, etc.

OK, fast forward to now. I've decided to purchase a new suit. This time, I've gotten an Xterra. By their size charts, I'm a Women's Medium. So, that's what I ordered. But, I have a friend who has a Women's Medium/Small (which in no way the size chart says should fit me). I can get into the women's medium/small and it's definitely snug. I have to take a few deep breaths to feel ok in it and it's definitely like a second skin. In the Women's Medium, there is more room in the chest area but also seems to be some "excess" (not a lot--not as much as the blue seventy--but some) in the arms--especially in the armpit area.

Sooo....I'm debating whether I'm in the right size in the Medium according to their chart, OR if the medium/small is the better fit? I have 14 days to return the new one for a different size. I'm doing a HIM this weekend in my prep for IMFL and really want to wear the size suit I think I'll wear in Florida.

Just how tight is it supposed to be? And, does anyone have any suggestions, similar experience with size charts, etc.? Help!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit--HELP! [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought my first wetsuit a couple months ago. I had sized myself to a certain size based on their charts and then the manufacturer told me to go down a size. I trusted them because they would probably know better than me. Although I have no idea how the bigger size would have fit, the size they gave me (1 smaller) feels just fine. And since I'm in weight loss process, going bigger probably would suck in the next few months.
I got a DeSoto and LOVE it. I swam in it for the first time at IMC - yes, during the race! I felt great for the whole 2.4 miles. My arms never felt fatigued and I was never uncomfortable in it.

So while I don't have any specific advice for you, there's my wetsuit experience. I'm really glad it went as well as it did cuz that could have been a really awful 2.4miles lol.

Quote | Reply
I'm not in a happy place with my wetsuit either - but that's just becuase I hate the thing. I get all freaked out and panicky because there's something touching my neck and I can't kick and bend and the pony tail causes problems with breathing and sigthing. I apparently swim a tad faster....but I just feel better without it. I've got a QR something or other and am in a Women's large - but mine is sleeveless.

I guess if I had to describe the way they're supposed to feel it's tight, but not too tight. You need to be able to breathe and move, but there shouldn't really be any extra room at all. Since you're apparently different sizes, have you ever thought about a two-piecer? They're more expensive but I've heard nothing but great things about them....

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about the same size as you - 5'7" and 140-145, flatchested and lean, so I know its a struggle. I found it frustrating because I felt like I was between sizes on almost all of the manufacturers chart. I had a QR full sleeze and it seemed to fit okay until I started IM training. I HATED it after that. I was reading one of Fleck's posts about wetsuit fit and it described my problem perfectly - the suit was so small the water couldn't drain out of the suit. I noticed that when I pulled the collar away from the suit to fill it with water I would have a "bubble" of water in my mid-section. I went with the two-piece DeSoto for my next suit (size 3 top and size 4 bottom, I think).

From what I've read, you can tell if a wetsuit is too small, but its harder to tell if its too big. Buy them from a place that has a generous return policy and test both sizes out in the water.

~Rebecca

Fleck's quote on a suit being too small:
It's not an amount that I have ever measured, but there should be some water coming out at the end of the swim. There should be a small amount of water in the suit while you are swimming that has come in through leakage while you are swimming. This actually helps with the flexibility and warmth( if that is important) of the suit, as that water forms a micro layer of water between your skin and the inside surface of the wetsuit. If it's more than that, if you feel water sloshing around or pooling in certain areas of the suit, then you may be in the wrong brand of suit for you, the wrong size of suit for you, or you may not have had that suit fitted properly to you prior to swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...s/Wetsuit_Demo.shtml

Just found that this morning, as my first wetsuit (an XTerra Velocity ProX2 John (i have ape arms so i stayed away from a full)) came in the mail yesterday.
Most suits come with a manual on how to put them on- maybe hit up a local tri shop and tell them you're in the market- or ask em if yours fits, and make em watch you put it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found how you put the wetsuit on can make a huge difference. I have the DeSoto one as well, and depending on how diligently I make sure the arms aren't twisted and the legs are pulled up enough can definitely affect how the wetsuit feels. I've had the same wetsuit for two seasons now and have gone from "This is the greatest wetsuit ever made" to "WTF was I thinking, this thing sucks!" I also find that it takes a couple of swims for the neoprene to loosen up and absorb some of the water. I remember Emilio (from DeSoto) recomending soaking the wetsuit in the bathtub a few days before the first wearing of the season to let the neoprene absorb some water and not be so stiff.

I can't speak to how tight is too tight, as I think it depends on the individual. I was right on the line in the DeSoto top and ended up returning the smaller size they put me in because it was literally like swimming in a corset. The next size up was perfect - still snug but I could breathe.

Hopefully some of the wetsuit experts will chime in. If not, you might try sending a PM to Fleck or Emilio and ask for their input.

Good luck and please share what you find out!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty much the same dimensions as you and people are amazed that I weigh what I do. I wore a ProMotion size 10 short for three years. It was always too big for me and collected a lot of water in the chest and armpits. I think that I "knew" from the day I bought it that it was too big but I couldn't be bothered sending it back and paying more money for another suit.

After coming out of the IMC swim with folks that I could ALWAYS beat in the pool, I switched to DeSoto T1 last year. Size 4 on the bottom and size 3 on the top. It is comfortable and fits well. The neck is cut lower than a lot of suits, which is a big plus. It's hard work to get the suit ON properly but easy to get the suit OFF. Don't let the two piece thing scare you.

Took 5min off my IM swim time ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work at a tri shop so I just wanted to throw in our wetsuit fitting policies. They are funny but actually very true.

1. If it takes less than 5 minutes to get into then it's too big.
2. If you can zip it, it fits.
3. If you can't breathe (I mean not at all) then MAYBE it's too small but you might also just be claustrophobic so see #2
(4. Most people wear their wetsuit at least one size too big, don't fall into this group)

The size-weight charts are basically useless because everyone's body is composed differently. For example, I'm 5'6"/133 and by most size charts should be in a Medium but I actually wear either a Small or a Medium-Small. Wetsuits are a lot like bikes, very personal in their fit. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another and you cannot buy one by just checking the chart and ordering it. I can't wear B70 because the cut of them restricts my movement, same with QR suits. I had to try on about 6 suits before finding my perfect fit (2XU V:1).

Good luck.

my severely neglected blog
Last edited by: jess!: Sep 16, 08 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit--HELP! [jess!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone...maybe I need to clarify some things.

I've already bought the Xterra. It's a matter of what size is right. I bought the Women's Medium. My friend has a Medium/Small. So, I can choose which size to wear in the race. I'm trying to decide which size to keep. I'm debating which size is right because I have 14 days (until Sept. 22) to EXCHANGE the suit for a different size. Right now, a two piece or different suit isn't an option timewise or financially.

I need to make a decision fast. I have a race on Saturday. I'd LIKE to wear what I think I'm going to wear at IMFL.

I can zip the Medium/Small. It's tight.

The Medium is roomier up top. How roomy is too roomy?

By the Xterra size charts, even if I'm two inches taller or shorter and 15 lbs lighter, it still says Medium.

So, I don't know if the Medium really fits or I'm just "gun shy" after my Blue Seventy experience (where I was only off on the weight chart by 5lbs to get down to the next size).

I can't swim in open water until the prerace swim on Friday before the race. I guess I could go to the pool Thurs. am and look like a big dork and try both if I have to.

Does that help anyone help me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say go with the smaller one and plenty of body glide...in my experience roomier=bad. As long as you have your full range of motion - you'll be good to go. That way, if you decide you like the feel of the slightly larger one you can keep the one you've good and switch back for IMFL. If you like the smaller one, you've still got Monday to exchange. Or, you might try putting it on, getting in the shower (to get it wet) and jumping and wiggling around for awhile. It'll look dumb, and you'll get a good laugh outta yourself, but if you can't swim it's at least in your own house...

Jess is right - most people start with wetsuits too large. You're supposed to feel like a stuffed sausage. Compression is good, right?

AW

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can get into the MS and still have good range of motion in your shoulders, I would go with the medium small. Wetsuits should never be roomy, at all. Have you swam in the MS yet? Just because the fit, of course, will feel dramatically different when you are in the water. My wetsuit feels like ass when I put it on but once I'm swimming I don't even notice it.

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit--HELP! [jess!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nemo

This post freaks me out.
I just bought an Xterra Vector Pro in WM and I am 5'7" and 135.
I tried it on but have no idea if it is right. I just went by their sizing chart. I just assumed it was right, but reading this makes me question if I should go down a size.. I have never worn a wetsuit before. This one feels tight around my neck..

Looking forward to know which one you decide to go with.
I am faily sure it is too late for me to return this.

I am doing IMFL too!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit--HELP! [sprtymama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The WM fits me great everywhere-I just don't know if it's "too" comfy if you know what I mean. But, I can get into the M/S. My coach thinks the bigger one will work b/c she's worried the smaller one will constrict breathing and make me freak out (like my very first one did--before my Blue Seventy). But, I think I'm second guessing everything because the Blue Seventy one was by the size charts for them but was too big up top. ARgh!!!

If I weighed 135, which is about 8 lbs lighter than I am now, I'm almost sure I'd go with the smaller one. BUT, that's b/c I'm so small chested. I think that's where the problem is coming in for me. The extra room I have is up around my shoulders. I'm going to try them both on again tonight or tomorrow morning and try to go swim some in them--even if it's just in my sister's pool. :)

In looking at the Xterra size charts, under no scenario (taller or shorter by 2 inches, 15 lbs lighter, etc.), should I be in the M/S. That wasn't the case on the Blue Seventy one. I was only in the Women's Medium/Large category on that one by 4 lbs. I trusted the rep on that one and I should've instead gone a size down there. But, on the Xterra one, I don't know. Like I said, I'm going to try a swim test, even a short one, and see what happens. I think I have until Monday to send my Xterra in for an exchange if I need to. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is would the M/S fit like next season when I may not be in "IM shape" and potentially a bit "fluffier". :)

This is so frustrating!

IMFL will be my first. Have you ever done that one? I'm excited--and totally freaked out! :)
Last edited by: Nemostrin: Sep 17, 08 6:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMFL is my first too.
My twin did it last year, so I am not too scared.. Maybe I should be though!
Your post has inspired me to try my wetsuit on again and go do a swim in it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband did it in 2006. I just hope the sea is calmer this year than it was then! I'd love for it to be that cool again but not huge waves!

Yeah, I'm going for a test swim later too. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rough waves make me sick

Let me know what size you end up with ok?
I am going to try mine on again now.
I am worried that I waited to long to exchange anyway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as wetsuits go, the most important thing is to go into a shop and get it fitted. Even if you are going to buy it online at a discount or on ebay, go to a shop that carries that brand and try it on. If it ever feels "roomy" in any way, it is too big. Like Jess, by the size charts I am well into the medium size range, but my b70 helix is a m/s. Trying on in a shop will also help with learning how to put it on correctly if it is your first suit. At our shop, one of the biggest fit problems we see is people who either bought a wetsuit without trying it on, or have a wetsuit that fits well, but don't know how to put it on correctly. Nemo- go with the MS, it sounds like the M is too big. Once you put the MS on, get in the water and fluff some water in through the neck and the sleeves until the inside of the suit is saturated. Then make some final adjustments to the way the sleeves are sitting on your arms. This is much easier now that the suit is wet.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit--HELP! [Lucy!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, now I'm REALLY confused! I actually had to swim my HIM in the Medium this past weekend because I ripped my friends Medium/Small when trying to get it on for the prerace swim. Actually, I'm not sure I'd want it any tighter than it was during that HIM swim in the race. But, I did notice a feeling of water occasionally down my back when swimming. And, it's an Xterra so I can't go try it on in a shop anywhere since I'm not in San Diego. I have two more days to make up my mind. ARGH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM Steve Fleck. (Fleck) He works for Nineteen wetsuits. They have great, reasonably prices wetsuits and have women's specific fits. I never did like the 2 XTerras I own. I went with a B70 and really like it. But, that was more luck than anything because I got it on a team discount and never tried it on. Next time I'll do it right but for now I'm happy with it.

http://www.nineteenwetsuits.com/pipeline.html

For me, I went with the weight and height I know I'll be on race day, not what I want to be. I weighted in a 128 and 5'2" on race day at CdA this year and I wear a women's MS in my B70.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit--HELP! [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could but I can't. I don't have any more $$. I have a B70 Women's Medium/Large that I just bought last Christmas (with a team discount--using the size chart and conferring with their rep--telling them that I'm smaller than the "normal" 145lber) that is too big. I just bought the Xterra a little over a week ago. I have 2 days to decide whether to keep the Medium or go to Medium/Small. Because I ripped my friends medium/small in the crotch when putting it on, and not on the seam, I now have to replace that one. Buying any other brand or another suit is not an option now. Unless someone is going to give it to me. I have no more $$. ;) My options are: keep the Xterra. Decide whether to keep the Medium or exchange it for a Medium/Small.

Honestly, the Xterra feels fine. Just like any other wetsuit I've ever worn. I don't think I want it any tighter when I'm swimming but I don't know how it's supposed to feel. I'm SO confused and frustrated!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. If it is comfortable then that should be a good indicator of fit. It should be tight but not restrictive. Is there pooling of water anywhere in the suit? If you feel water pooling in your crotch, under your arms or in the small of your back, it is too big.

Wetsuits should be tight. That is the nature of them but the key is to be sure you can breathe in them and that it isn't choking you.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's snug. I don't feel pooling of water anywhere. I occasionally feel a trickle or bubble of water down my back. Not gushing, just can feel a little movement of water more down the middle of my back, not lower back. I think I've decided to just keep it and go with it. I know I don't want it any bigger and I'm pretty sure I don't want it tighter around my chest. The issue is the arms. At this point, I'm tired of messing with it and I'm sure I'll make it through IMFL ok. If it sucks, I'll guess I'll sell it and try again next year. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be sure you have pulled the arms up. I find that it is easy for me to forget to pull up on the shoulders so that I have plenty of room to move my arms around.

You will find in general that you have a restricted range of motion in the wetsuit. It sounds like everything else is a good fit and getting a larger or smaller size won't help in the arms.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx. Yeah, I've pulled the shoulders up. There's no gaps under my armpits, etc. when my arm is raised up. It might be a tad too roomy in the shoulders but it's the best I've had on so far.

Funny though, I swam slower with it in this past weekend's HIM than I did a month ago without one. Oh well....at least for IMFL it will be jellyfish protection! LOL>

Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck at IMFL. It's unfortunate but it's sounding more and more to me like XTerra suits just don't fit your body type.

Quote Reply

Prev Next