Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rain, Hills, Rain, Hills. Muskoka 70.3 RR
Quote | Reply
Theme of the day...Rain and Hills.

Drove up to Deerhurst on Saturday and we had booked a room in the Bayshore section - our room overlooked the Swim start and was 50M from the finish line - which was a godsend after the race!

Checked out the expo then had lunch with friends before going to check the layout of the swim course and T-Zone.

Race Morning:
I went over the times I would hit for each of the portions so my husband would know where to get my pics...
S: 40 mins (this includes the run up to t-zone and onto the bike)
B: 3:15 - this was based on a 90K course as I totally forgot to add in the extra 4K!
R: 2:15
*For those reading those times and going oooh, she's slow...stfu :)

After that, I got my t-zone spot set up with what I needed and then headed back to our room to watch the Pro Starts, use a real bathroom and then went to my swim wave group.
I liked how organized the swim start was w/ the 'corrals' for each way, ran really smoothly!

S: Nice swim, water was much colder then the St. Lawrence but I enjoyed it. The muck at the swim exit was rather gross but the guys helping you onto the stairs did a great job.
Run up the mofo hill - NICE way to recover from the swim! Was cool to see so many people lining the pathway up to the T-Zone.

B: Out onto the bike course in 40-41 mins, saw my husband and a bunch of friends cheering me on - always a nice way to start out.
The hardest part of the bike course for me was when you turned onto the back country road that was twisty and had some sharp corners.
Took it really easy there as people were losing items of thier bike left and right. HOW does that happen? I had one lady in front of me lose her tube/co2/tire levers etc. off her bike and it came right at me!

Rest of the bike course was fantastic! I love hills so I really enjoyed the course and while it was challenging, it was nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. The one steep hill was fun to go 8km/h up! At the top of it, there was a guy puking in the bush so i was doing better then him!

Finished up the bike filthy dirty from the one not-so-paved road and was in at 3:19 - since I predicted my 3:15 time based on a 90k course, I was pretty pleased to come in at 3:19!

R: It seemed once I started the run, the rains came even more! My goal was to run as much as possible and to walk the aid stations. I throughly enjoyed the run as it was no harder then what I run at home. The fairy vista trail was very nice to run in but the golf course...OY. It sucked running past the finishers chute and being able to see the last 3K or so...and all the rolling hills.
Run time was 2:19, with the hills on the course, I was only 4 mins off my predict time so I was really pleased - running is currently not my strength.
Came in at 6:26, 4 mins ahead of the time I had in my head so I was stoked.

I loved the course, found it not as hard as i thought it would be. That could also be from just going out to have fun on it vs. a pure 'race' mentality. I 'raced' it for me but had a lot of fun!

The best...the spectators and aid station volunteers. They rocked. Overall, great race and would recommend it to anyone - providing they like hills.

I stayed at Deerhurst as I thought it would be easier on us for the weekend. It's a nice place but I would be hard pressed to stay there again.

Congrats to all that raced!

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Re: Rain, Hills, Rain, Hills. Muskoka 70.3 RR [Irongirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always so impressed with racers who push through crappy weather like that. Srsly, you kicked butt out there. Congrats!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: Rain, Hills, Rain, Hills. Muskoka 70.3 RR [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! The rain was a blessing for me as I have serious heat issues so i was able to stay cool the whole race.

I managed to take off 16 mins on the run from the Peterborough Half IM in July so I am more then happy :)

I'd post a pic but i don't know how or care to learn today.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to tough it out with the rain...Great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It definitely was the theme! But like you, I really loved the course. Although I think the last part on the golf course was out of an Escher painting...

Great job, and fun rep to read!

I need to get a race rep done at some point.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Last edited by: kylie: Sep 17, 08 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: Rain, Hills, Rain, Hills. Muskoka 70.3 RR [kylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will for ever have nightmares about that golf course. But mostly the last slick short hill on the path during the last mile were my butt took a slide.

On race day, it is what it is.
Quote Reply