Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/15/08
Quote | Reply
How'd everyone do this week? Tell us the good and the bad and what you're going to do next week to improve.

Me:
  • I had a really good week. Got in a 4 hour bike ride and a 2.5 hr really hard trail run. Great prep for AmZof.
  • Two rides and three runs made up a decent week, but still need to get in some more hours over the next 2 weeks.
  • Kept my weight steady all week, but for some strange reason I'm up 3 lbs this morning? Must be water retention.

This week:
  • Two rides and four runs
  • Lose that extra 3 lbs (will probably be gone tomorrow), plus one more
  • Help my under-12 girls basketball team win their first game :)

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/15/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what my goals were for last week but I did manage a pilates class and 1 swim in my post IM recovery. I also ate two pints of ice cream, a bag of doritos, a box of lucky charms and other healthy goodies throughout the week. I think I am on my way to recovery.

Goals for this week:
1) Swim at least once with my masters team (I miss them as I didn't see them in taper or since the race)
2) Short ride on the road bike (I promised my road bike he would see some riding again)
3) Meeting with the coach to discuss 2009
4) Limit the goodies in my diet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
So something every single day. I'm on the east coast for 4 days, so it will probably be hotel workouts.

I made 6/7 days. One late night with STer CTB, so I slept in the next day.

This week:
I got my new training plan last night and I'm ramping it up. Lots of riding, all small chain ring, easy stuff, just lots of time, so it will be a challenge to get back into the mental mindset.

Also racing on the track Friday night, so goal there is to have fun since it's the last Friday night race of the year.

Probably doing a cyclocross race on Sunday so goal will be to remember how to get on/off the bike and how to go hard until your eyeballs are going to pop out.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals for last week were not to gain weight. I had surgery and have to keep my feet up for 6 weeks. I am almost three weeks into it.

I know my RMR is 1,100 calories so I am trying to eat 1,000 calories a day. This includes lots of vegetables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the Erie Marathon yesterday. It was surprisingly hot. Forecast was for low 70's and rain. Turned out to have a feels like temp of 92, sunny, and humid. So I was NOT prepared for that. Nonetheless, I finished. I was treating this as a training run for IMFL anyway, and I wanted to have the front 20 strong, and I didn't really care about the last 10k. Well, that attitude resulted in my have the craziest run splits ever: first 10k 1:05 (very solid marathon race pace for me); last 10k 1:22! We were on a beach peninsula and I was running all over the place trying to get to public water fountains in between the water stops. This is my last big run before the IM (8 weeks from now). I am glad I did this since it made me up my running volume and stick to a plan.

Otherwise, I spent a lot of time in the pool last week, which was great. Got in a ton of yardage, and I seem to be getting faster. Weight was okay. I am up two pounds from the race yesterday, but I didn't pig out or anything so I think I am just retaining water. My stomach still isn't 100% back on track after running in that heat.

I have not been on the bike for 7 days, but I am not too worried about it. I am riding a century this Saturday, so I think my #1 priority has to be to rest my legs post-marathon and get myself geared up for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/15/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your marathon! I was actually looking at the Erie race when I was first thinking about running a marathon this fall. It looked like a really nice, flat course, but I was worried about the heat given how early it is. I would rather run a marathon in freezing temps with sleet than 85+ degrees. Don't worry about your splits! That kind of weather requires a survival-only attitude. Congrats again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My overall goal is to swim more often and I did this last week.

Diet was ok except for the day the drug rep brought us Pei Wei....mmm. Pei Wei

I'm racing a sprint next weekend so I'm not going to change much in the way of training.. maybe continue some good swimming.

My goals are pretty vague, but they're going to change with a sprint this weekend, a sprint and Oly in Oct, then getting ready to start training for CA 70.3 in April, so I'm kind of enjoying being a little flexible with the schedule.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With respect to illness recovery, I'm doing GREAT!!! The drugs, however, are a different story ...the side effects are making me nuts in multiple ways.

I failed miserably with nutrition this week. I'm going to make a real effort this week to keep it as clean as possible.

As for 'exercise' I made an effort to walk around campus as much as possible. I parked in the far lot and walked a 1/3 mile up a huge hill to work/class every day. I walked signed forms across campus instead of faxing them. I think I'm going to continue the walking and try spinning on the trainer for a bit in the evenings this week :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
SWIM - 11,000 scy (6 swims) GOOD
BIKE - 3 hrs (2 rides) - OKAY, goal was 3 rides
RUN - 45.2 mi (6 runs) - GOOD, goal was 45 mi
+ 2 water run sessions (total 75 min)
+ 1 yoga class (awesome!)

Highlight of the week was Saturday's run - 8.3 mi in 59:50, rockin'.

Nutrition, not so hot, no purging but have been losing weight... stressed with school and that tends to flip the "I don't want to eat so I'm not going to" switch. I really don't have much motivation to fight the anorexic thoughts right now, it's too hard. I'm tired of it. I've got a ten pound buffer zone on where I am right now, and where my weight becomes unhealthy... so I keep convincing myself I'm okay. For now.

Feeling like one monster after another with trying to stay healthy - my IT band is doing ok (did the foam roll 2x a day, abs every other day, and PT exercises as directed), then I had a shoelace tied too tightly on this AM's run, have an inflammed anterior tibialis tendon now. PT did ultrasound on it this AM, suggested I cut my run volume in half. I am supposed to run a 1/2 marathon this Saturday - here's the goal - GET MY LEGS HEALED UP SO I CAN RACE because I am in wickedly good shape (See above run...)

other monster, shoulder hurt after swim today.

Yeah, my only goal this week is - to be able to do that race, healthy, and injury free.

sorry... I'm wicked cranky today...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran 3x last week, no swim. Saturday's run, 1:15, is my longest since IMCdA and it felt great. Weight stayed the same but I did over eat as usual. I am proud of myself for not stopping at Trophy Cupcake yesterday even though I drove by it twice! I ended up having a cookie but if I was in my usual mode I would have added 2 cupcakes.

My goals for the week
Food: Record my calories every day in Calorie King and keep them to 1300 days I don't workout and 1500 on days I train for more than an hour. RMR is 1300 so that should be OK for maintaining energy. Get 100 grams of protein a day. Keep carbs to ~45%.
Weight: Drop 1 lb
Workouts: Run 4x, swim 1. Opt bike trainer/run brick. PT exercises 3x.
Planning: Meet with ultra coach to get plan, kick off official training for my 100 on Saturday!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goal for last week was to have fun and finish with a time better than the Apple. Well, I did finish and did have an OK time (the entrie trip was fun overall) but I was slower than Apple. Oh well. C'est la vie.

This week:
1 swim of 1hr (with drill set and main)
2 runs - any distance/time - just have fun
1 ride - approx 3hrs - on Sat or Sun.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good week.

Last week goals:

2-3 pool swims, one open water swim
done, even though I "felt tired" and almost missed one. I did 3 pool swims! time is getting better, a little. good.
open water swim was part of Danksin Tri, sprint w/mom & sis, will post later about it... generally: great fun

3 walk-jogs
done. up to 3 min "jog" or "trot" is more like it, but no knee pains, jogged total of 18 minutes each time.
also ran 2 minutes full-out each time!

2 bikes
only did one, stationary bike. my bike was not where I was.

at least 2 stretch core foam roll
done too.

this week:

3 bikes
3 jog-walk things
3 stretch/core/foam roll
3 swims
I like threes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I've been AWOL. It's time to come back for a little accountability. I've been fairly consistent with my training plan - except strength & flexibility stuff. I'm awful at yoga, and boy does it hurt. Not so good about the nutrition either. Sugar - it calls....often. On the upside - I had an overall finish at a (small) local du. Got a big grocery store gift certificate. (Could buy a lot of ice cream... mmmm). I'm campaigning for a real tri bike, and trying to make an inexpensive one fit in the family budget. I dropped a swim session in order to fit in more running before the marathon- but now my swimming (not terribly efficient to begin with) is suffering. Maybe squeeze a short swim into an early morning next week. For next week: better food choices -remember to have protein after long workouts. More swimming. More stretching. Do strength workouts.
Have a great week everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very late this week but an unexpected overnight stay in the hospital a couple days after my surgery occupied my time but here goes....
  • get in 4 hours of training.

B...got in 3:26
  • finalize and mark (flagging tape) Adventure Run course before Friday.

A...Done...still may need to do some tweaking....
  • Keep my weight at 174 on limited training...weigh daily, dont overeat.

A...been hovering around 173 after surgery despite no training...
  • Grin and bear it on Friday and then rest

A...surgery went well....I am all replumbed now...unfortunately 2 days after surgery I had significant pain near my heart likely due to problems with my digestive system being shut down when I went under for surgery....go to the ER and the next thing I know they are keeping me overnight to do all the heart test things to make sure its not my heart...end result is they cant determine what caused the pain but they know its not my heart.....the upside is I got extensive numbers on everything and all my numbers are perfect....cholesterol low, blood pressure low...all numbers on my blood work within normal range...

Goals for this week:
  • Do not train until doctor gives the ok...(my wife is keeping a close watch on this one)
  • walk 4 times...very easy....
  • Revise Adventure Run course as necessary...
  • Return permits for adventure run...
  • get appt to see surgeon to see when I can begin to train safely...start with swimming?...mild stair climbing?

Quote Reply