Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

12 years ago today...
Quote | Reply
My husband and I got married on the deck of my parents' home. It overlooks the mountains of New Hampshire. There was a total of 11 people there including the minister and his wife. We had a deli tray and incredible chocolate cake. We got married at my parents' home for a couple reasons. The biggest of what was that we had no money. We couldn't afford a big wedding and big weddings aren't our style but we thought they were a requirement so we waited. My mom got tired of us waiting until we could afford it and said why not just come home and get married there. I think the whole thing cost $1500 including airfare.

We've been through some tough times. Our first year of marriage was incredibly difficult and I wasn't sure we would make it. We've been flush with cash and so broke we almost couldn't pay the mortgage. We've both lost jobs and spent time worried about finding another one. We are both now securely employed and no longer worry about the mortage. We've lost a family member, our dog Sydney, that devastated us but brought in a new member who we love very much. We don't fight much anymore but in the beginning when we did they were doozies. Now, we tell each other every day "I love you", more than once.

Today we'll celebrate by going out to brunch and going to the Pike Street Market and buying some fresh flowers and good food. We aren't flashy and don't need to travel or spend a fortune on dinner to celebrate us.

Overall, we've been very fortunate. Sometimes I forget how fortunate but not for long. All I need to do is look around and see the evidence in our home, our family and my husband sitting on the couch next to me.

Hug your S.O. today and if you don't have one, hug your closest friend or family member.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: Sep 14, 08 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: 12 years ago today... [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! (Man this would make a great blog post :P)
I guess it's really good timing that you can go out and really enjoy yourself today and then start dieting tomorrow!

Quote | Reply
good story - and happy anniversary! Enjoy your day.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happy anniversary!

and good that you can appreciate what sounds like a great relationship.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy anniversary! How nice that the weather is helping you celebrate. :-)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!! Your relationship sounds much like mine. There have been many tough times, but more good times than not. Marriage is really, really hard, but the rewards of making it work are incredible. I'm working on 18 years in less than a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told at my wedding 11 years ago that "Being married at its worst is better than being single at its best". Despite hard times (and believe me we've had them too; big ones) I always knew that my hubby always has had my best at heart. It's comforting.

The happiest of anniversary to you Jen.

Quote | Reply
Happy Anniversary!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 12th anniversary was last Sunday. Congratulations.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy anniversaryand thanks for writing about a great story so far! Have at least two pieces of cake; tomorrow is a new day and a new weigh-in.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations... and thank you for sharing! You have no idea how timely your story is, and how hopeful. My husband and I have been going through a rough patch for several months now, and loving eachother is really all that is keeping us going each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Your wedding sounds much like my own. We were married in our backyard. I wore my grandmother's wedding dress. We had about 15 people. A couple of our friends bought a wedding cake as a gift, another friend grilled pork tenderloin for the dinner, another took pictures, pastel colored M&Ms on the table, some light food and we were done. What's wonderful is after all this time you can still wake up next to your loved one smile and say I love you!
Quote Reply
Re: 12 years ago today... [nutty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been telling friends for years that it is the best way to do a wedding, very small and in someone's backyard. Much less stress and it really becomes about being married and not about the wedding itself. We just wanted to be married. That was our only requirement and I wanted to share it with a few people but that's it. I actually drove my mom a bit nuts because I wasn't too concerned about the flowers other than wanting to carry a white rose. I think she was relieved in the long run that I didn't put the family through an exhausing day. I'm glad too. Only problem is that I didn't have a bridal shower or engagement party so we kinda got ripped off the in the gift department ;-)

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. We had a great brunch at our favorite restaurant then enjoyed the day, did a little shopping and brought home beautiful flowers. Perfect!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a timely reminder of what is important. We all forget. Congratulations on your celebration.

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy anniversary Jen! I totally relate to your story, we had a back yard wedding, a tough first year, and a simple but happy life that we enjoy as we grow together. Never easy but always worth the effort.

Cheers to you on your anniversary!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was 8 people in total at our weddin 6 years ago and I loved every minute of it. Went and had a nice pub lunch and decided to spend the money on just the two of us so had great honeymoon. As you've said, we've all had good and bad times but six years down the line we couldn't be happier. I still adore my husband and love every second of our marriage.
Quote Reply