Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITB Surgery update
Quote | Reply
Hey all!!
Just wanted to pass on that I tried to run today- okay maybe we shouldn't call it a run but I did 1min walk 1min run a whole 5 times on grass- guess what! No pain. Felt weird to run and tried to figure out a gait but its a start. I am now riding 25 miles twice a week, slowly increasing swims now at 2200 twice a week, walking an hour on the hilly CO hills, and all of my weights and rehab exercises. I can do the same run exercise in two days and do that for a week and then slowly increase again. So not bad figuring I am 12 weeks post surgery!!! Not sure if I should set this goal or not but would love to do a 5k turkey trot- we will see!!! More later thanks for the support!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: ITB Surgery update [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! Happy to hear the good news. One step at a time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So happy to hear you are running again!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are on your way -hang in there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, this is great news that you're back on your feet and active again. Keep up the good work!
Secondly, may I ask what kind of surgical repair was done to your IT Band?
Quote Reply
Re: ITB Surgery update [shikepoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure- Boulder Center for Sports Medicine founder Andy Pruitt worked with a surgeon and came up with a slightly different version of the ITB release. Instead of making a straight cut they make a window around Gerties Notch and then feather it. They also scoped the knee and cleaned up some scar tissue from the prolonged inflammation. Thats about all I know! Except I am soooo glad I did it! Rode 30 today no pain!!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has this alleviated your back issues? or was it the cause of the back issues? i remember we chatted about your disc and you had some injections. i am guessing it wasn't your back at all, huh?

Sue
Quote Reply
Re: ITB Surgery update [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the chronic inflammation of my itb caused tightness in my hips which then pulled on my SI joint and "facets" sp. I also think that at that time I was swimming 3000 twice a week and only breathing on one side plus I was not engaging some really deep core muscles. The injections did not do much for me after a certain period. I had two then stopped. Now since the inflammation in my ITB has subsided the back gets mildly flared up every couple of weeks if I do too much core, sit in the car too long, or swim too much too quickly. I have sinced figured out how to breathe bilaterally so that helps. I think the chronic inflammation for that long in my hips and back has now predisposed me to tightness in my back but if I do side stretches and use heat it will take it away. So not all gone but probably 75% gone which I will take!! I have also learned that when I am in the car driving the kids around so much the seat warmers are my best friends!!

How are you doing now???

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so much of what you say about side stretches, heat and deep core are part of my physical therapy. i HEAR you and know exactly what you are talking about.

i had a good season until about early August, as i neglected my PT exercises and started having disc issues again. went back to PT and voila, it's getting under control again. the simple fact is that i will ALWAYS have to do these exercises.

funny you mention the bilateral breathing. i'm a single sider (right side, herniated disc side) too, and just last week, my PT said... its time you start bilatera; breathing, you need to balance out the load in your hips. today was my first masters workout and it was tough. gotta work on that.

seat warmers ARE THE BOMB! i will never own a car without them!

Sue
Quote Reply