Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

confidence building swim sets for triathlon
Quote | Reply
I am without a swim coach for part of the summer and try not to lose all of my swim fitness during that time. I'm looking for ideas for main swim sets. Here is one that really boosted my confidence earlier this year:

6 x 100 as 2x100 on 1:50, 2 x 100 on 1:40, 2 x 100 on 1:30 (30 seconds rest then repeat 5 times for 3000 total)

You can adjust for your swim speed so that the last 2 x 100 has no rest in between 100s.

Other great ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: confidence building swim sets for triathlon [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to increase your swimming endurance, one of my favorites was to do something along the lines of:

600-500-400-300-200-100.

The 500 should be faster than the first 500 of the 600. The 400 should be faster than the first 400 of the 500. The 300 should faster than the first 300 of the 400, etc.

You can of course modify it - start the progression at more yards (say 700), or at less yards.

Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion for a fun workout that includes workouts on the deck.

4 x 200 with 1:30 plank between 400s
4 x 100 with 20 squats between 100s
4 x 50 with 10 pushups between 50s
4 x 25 sprint with 15 cruches between 25s

Add warm-up and cool-down as desired.

My Masters coach loves to throw this at us occasionally. I'm usually a bit sure the next day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
search the swim challenge threads on the main forum, I've posted so many workouts with main sets you can pick and choose from there.

favorites, 8 x 300 desc on 4:15... 20 x 100 on 1:15-1:20 + 8 x 25 fly... 5 x 400 desc on 5:15... 3 x 800 on :45 rest, desc the first by 200, neg split the second, 3rd is at the pace from the second half of the second one

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Other great ideas?
I like to get a large pizza and a cooler of beer. Put pizza on one end of the pool and the beer on the other and see how fast I can go beer - pizza - beer - pizza - beer - pizza. People look at me funny but they are just jealous.
Quote Reply
Re: confidence building swim sets for triathlon [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I think 8 *300 is redic. Most triathlete swim sets are super soft.
your better off throwing in some negative split sets.

also- www.usms.org

check out the forums. some really good coaches post weekely sets that are geared towards swimmers, but that will pay off in the OW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are 2 that I like:

500-1000 Warmup

All on the same 100 pace

Each interval should be negative split and the second 300 and 200 should be faster than the first.

If you want to increase the distance you are swimming add 2x 50 between each interval. Do these as 'active recovery'.

The other one I like is;

500-1000 warmup

1 x 100
2 x 100
3 x 300
4 x 100
5 x 100

The 100s should be faster than you are comfortable doing, and the 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 are at a moderate pace, but not too slow.

I'm off to the pool to do the first one...I'm hoping to survive it...haven't swam much in the last month and need to make sure I can survive the swim in Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for this thread. even tho I'm concentrating on running right now I still try to hit the pool Very good training advice/sets here.

N~
Quote Reply
Re: confidence building swim sets for triathlon [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Other great ideas?
I like to get a large pizza and a cooler of beer. Put pizza on one end of the pool and the beer on the other and see how fast I can go beer - pizza - beer - pizza - beer - pizza. People look at me funny but they are just jealous.

3-5 lengths and they're clearing the pool...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: confidence building swim sets for triathlon [KeepOnGrinding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think 8 x 300 is ridiculous."

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm usually one of the first girls out of the water so I must be doing something right.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: confidence building swim sets for triathlon [KeepOnGrinding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Personally I think 8 *300 is redic. Most triathlete swim sets are super soft.
your better off throwing in some negative split sets.

also- www.usms.org

check out the forums. some really good coaches post weekely sets that are geared towards swimmers, but that will pay off in the OW.
I think poor grammar/spelling is redic.

Quote | Reply
My coach used to have us do long sets on descending time intervals. This one is one of the longer ones (3500 total), but I loved doing it:

5x100 @ 1:30
4x200 @ 2:40
3x300 @ 3:50
2x400 @ 5:00
1x500 @ 6:10

Basically we would start on a reasonable time interval for the 100 (1:30 in this example), then add a faster time interval for each 100 that gets added (1:10 in this example).

For speedier sets, I love doing drop-a-second 50's. Start on the 1:00 interval, then descend until you miss two consecutive 50's. The problem with this set is trying to remember your send-off time!

Sets like 4x400 IM are also good for building confidence for me. I stick at fly, but being able to get through 400 yds during a workout always makes me feel good about it.
Quote Reply
Re: confidence building swim sets for triathlon [FeS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"I think 8 x 300 is ridiculous."

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm usually one of the first girls out of the water so I must be doing something right.

I agree. Writting a swim set is highly individual. Im a USA swim coach as well as a masters swim coach. But its been my experience as well as a first hand experience that 8 of anything other than 100s - 200s is just boring. While I would write something along the lines of Ghiagirls set, I dont see myself writting 8 *300, but if it works for you then by all means stick to it. I wasnt trying to instigate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't count worth sh(* on my own so I tend to stick to 200s. For the last 25 in each 200 I do a part of IM. That way I can remember how many 200's I've done and I get a bit of fly, back,and breast in the set too.

I can't say it builds my swimming confidence but it keeps me honest and in the pool swimming.

I start back up again with my coach on Friday and I'm very happy about that. I haven't been coached since the end of MAY! Mind you I did have a PB in the swim at IMC this year and made the DVD stating that exact fact. Now imagine if I had had a coach all summer long.

K

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply