Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMWI RR - Sorry its long!
Quote | Reply
I signed up in 2007 after volunteering as kayak support and at the bike aid station. Just being around the race was enough to convince me to sign up. Apparently I'm not alone in thinking that as 600+ volunteers signed up for next year's race! I hired a coach and started my training on January 1. I had a pretty decent endurance base going into this, but my bike force is my definite limiter. Climbing hills just takes a lot out of me, but I still wanted to do Wisconsin and not a different IM because it would be such a challenge to train and prepare for it.

SWIM
After reading some race reports I figured out that the best line would be to start as far inside as possible, and cut to the inside of the buoys for the straightaways, then cut back outside for the turns. This was definitely the way to go, I had clear water everywhere except the turn buoys, but no one got through those without getting a little beat up. I had no sense of pace while I was swimming. I knew that it was relatively easy because my breathing and my stroke were really relaxed, but I thought I was on pace for a 1:05-1:10. I was shocked to see the clock when I got out of the water - 59:04. A quick run up the helix and into T2, then onto the bike. The family was hanging out right by my rack, so I got some cheers from them as I was putting my shoes on. It was great to see them throughout the day and a huge boost each time.

BIKE
The hardest part about being a strong swimmer and really weak cyclist is to just sit back and let everyone pass you on the bike. Even though I knew what I had to do to have a successful race it still really got to me mentally. I really need to work on this part of racing!

With the crowds and all the excitement my HR was really high when I got on the bike. I concentrated on just spinning and trying to settle it down but it took about 45 minutes to really settle. By then, I was almost at the first loop. I had ridden the loop enough to know the basic layout. I break it down into 3 sections to help get through it by just focusing on one piece at a time. The first is Verona to Mt. Horeb - net elevation gain and almost always a headwind. The next section is Mt. Horeb to Cross Plains - the rollers and Garfoot Rd descent. The last section is Cross Plains to Verona - the big climbs, then the long descent into Verona. I focused on each piece at a time and doing what I needed to do to keep my HR in Z2 as much a possible and recover on the downhills.

The crowds were crazy on the bike! I couldn't believe how many people came out to cheer. There were tons of crazy costumes, lots of people with drums, and a guy with a trombone (who didn't really know how to play, but its the thought that counts!). I have to give some love to the Chicago Tri Club for the pirate-themed aid station. The "show us your booty" signs were great!

I was able to split the race pretty evenly - 1:00 out to the loops, 2:30 for each loop and 1:00 back to Madison for a total bike time of 7:03. I had wanted to be faster, but I hit my goal for HR zones and nutrition, so I can't be too disappointed here.

RUN
I had never run a marathon before, so my plan was to break it up into 4 parts and re-assess after each section. My first mile was 9:30, too fast to hold onto, so I settled into 10:00 min/miles and was feeling pretty good. Around mile 3 I decided that I didn't want to walk the marathon, so I didn't (except for the aid stations). I'm really glad I said that to myself because I was close to slowing down and walking a few times but managed to talk myself out of it.

I stayed on my pace, my HR was right on and I felt pretty good until mile 12. My stomach turned sour on me and I felt really nauseous. I pitched the gels and started trying the food at the aid stations to get it to settle. Chicken broth didn't really do anything for me, but the coke was going down okay.

I think mile 14 was the hardest for me. My stomach really wasn't feeling it and its tough to come so close to the finish line only to turn around. It was hard to run past my family and smile and wave at them knowing that inside I was really feeling like crap.

Around mile 18 I started to feel better and the pace picked up. As each mile marker went past I was thinking about my local routes and saying things like "okay, this is just one loop around the forest preserve, you've done this before." It worked for me, and before I knew it I could see the capitol. A few turns around the square, and that was it! I was an Ironman!

Run time of 4:34 for a total finishing time of 12:50:52.

I don't think I'll be racing another IM next year, I want another year to build leg strength and tackle more hills before I come out for attempt number two. But, I'm thrilled with what I was able to accomplish this year. This was a good race to finish off my season!
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI RR - Sorry its long! [FeS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Impressive first IM. Everyone feels like crap at some point, good for you for pushing through and not stopping. Running the whole thing is tough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! Congratulations!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That, my dear was not a long RR. Have you seem some of what other people post?

Congrats on a fantastic first IM. You rock!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congtrats on your first IM!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic race! Congrats.

I can relate to the being passed a lot on the bike after a fast swim. I did one IM in 1999, LP, was passed by 800 people on the bike! yikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree with QR girl, not long at all.

Congrats on your finish - recover well.

tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW!! Way to go!! I think you did awesome for your first IM--for any IM for that matter!! Thanks for the inspiration as I go into my first at IMFL!! I'm not a strong cyclist either (yet :) ). Working on it but I think your split given that course is great!! And, can you please teach me how to swim???!!! I think you did fantastic!! Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved you race report! Congratulations. You time was awesome. Some of the mental techniques you described on the run are the same ones have used now and again. What a great first IM. You've got me inspired to take the plunge myself.
Last edited by: diva: Sep 13, 08 5:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job! And no, that's so not a long race report. Wait and see what I post next year after IMC. THAT will be long. :-D

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI RR - Sorry its long! [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
WOW!! Way to go!! I think you did awesome for your first IM--for any IM for that matter!! Thanks for the inspiration as I go into my first at IMFL!! I'm not a strong cyclist either (yet :) ). Working on it but I think your split given that course is great!! And, can you please teach me how to swim???!!! I think you did fantastic!! Congratulations!
Thanks! Good luck at IMFL. Although its not hilly like WI, I imagine its an entirely different beast not being able to coast during the race :) The downhills were a nice break for my legs. I look forward to reading your race report!
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI RR - Sorry its long! [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fantastic race! Congrats.

I can relate to the being passed a lot on the bike after a fast swim. I did one IM in 1999, LP, was passed by 800 people on the bike! yikes!
I think I was passed by a similar number. Overall I was placed something around 130 for the swim and my bike split place was 1600th. Ouch! You really can't hide any weaknesses in an IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job on you first IM! I didn't think the report was long at all either!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think in CDA I was passed by about 1000 on the bike... pretty sad when people pass you and say "Wow, your a FAST swimmer", but I knew they were thinking - but you SUCK on the bike!! I would just smile and say thanks!

Kick ass first IM!! Great job for running the marathon - that's a big goal of mine for next year too.

Congrats!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI RR - Sorry its long! [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good report.

Very, very nice job!
Congratulations on a great race.

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WAY TO GO!!!

Great RR. Hope you are enjoying some relaxing time right now!

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI RR - Sorry its long! [Irongirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!! You swim like a rocket!!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job--was there watching hubby race! Congrats

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a great first IM! Nice RR, too!!
Quote Reply