Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08
Quote | Reply
So, how'd everyone do last week? For me, I had an ok, but not great week. Got in 3 out of 4 runs (only missed a short brick), but only 1 out of 3 bikes. Because I only rode once, I made that one really hard. Feeling better about my riding, but I still need to get some TITS!!

This week:
- Three rides, including one long one of 4 hours
- Three runs, including a half marathon trail race on Saturday
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't participated in this yet, but clearly it's about time because I'm turning into quite the FAT KID! I gained stupid amounts of weight since IMC so that's how I did.

NO MORE! This week I:

Run 4x (including two transition runs)
Bike 3x
Weights 2x
Row 2-3x (pool is closed til mid-October waaaaaaaa)
And lose this GD weight!

Last edited by: cuds: Sep 9, 08 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FANTASTIC WEEK!!

Here's what I posted last week:

Tomorrow begins track Masters Nationals, so all goals are about that.
* PR efforts in the 200m, 500m and 2K [DONE, DONE, DONE AND DONE!]
* match sprints-- (1) be aware and pay attention, (2) have a plan for each sprint [DONE!]
* team sprint--ride 2 laps as hard as possible. No holding back. [DONE--AND WE WERE 3RD!]
* Have fun! [MAJORILY DONE!!!!]

Reports for the four races on my blog.

For this week:

So something every single day. I'm on the east coast for 4 days, so it will probably be hotel workouts.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cuds, I really like rowing. Did a bunch of it this summer as cross training - look up "Water rower," that's what I was using - much more fun than a concept 2, made a cool swishing sound.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals - 4 of each sport - and keep up with good nutrition ;-) I'm on day thirty of that! One whole month without purging/undereating, hand over the stickers, please.

Another goal - foam roll and stretch 2x a day, CHECK. Also, abs every other day, CHECK.

Training, not too great, shoulder pain limited swimming but I saw my physical therapist at school today, will be seeing her 2-3x a week to work on that... and on my IT bands. Anyway, here's my week (FAST week for the running!), I look at weeks as Sunday-Saturday so this is Aug 31 - Sept 6.

S - 80 min bike
M - 2:10 bike AM // 5mi run easy PM (39:50)
T - 6.5 mi with 2 of those miles @ 6:50 pace // 2,500 yd swim
W - 7.7 mi with 4 progressive (7:55, 7:17, 7:01, 6:37) // 700 yd swim, working with a coach on my stroke
T - 9 mi in 61:18, with 3.2 fast @ 6:46 pace
F - 8.5 mi easy (68 min) + 70 min yoga class!!!
S - 9.3 mi easy (71 min)

Yoga was really good, I am hoping I can get to a class or two this week.

Hmmmm goals for this week:
-bike 3 times
-swim as shoulder allows... PT said try to swim 500 yds and see how it feels. I've lost a lot of shoulder muscle so she wants me to swim a little bit lest I lose the rest of it :-(
-run 45 mi
-abs every other day
-foam roll + stretch 2x a day (in particular BEFORE I run! didnt' do that this morning, wound up with an achy knee later)
-keep eating and not purging :P I'm doing well but it's still HARD
-do PT exercises as directed for IT band and shoulder

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAY more stickers for tigerchik!!!

I did most of my planned workouts, missed one swim & one run due to visiting a friend in hospital.

From last week:
3 walk/jogs, increase lengths of jogging segments
did two, doubled length of jogging (woohoo! 2 minutes walk/2 jog... but I ran all-out once each time for 2 min! felt good)
2 bikes, at least an hour each
done, but one was a stationary ride, better that than nothing
3 swims, one in a lake (already did that Monday!)
did two
at least 2 stretch/core/foam roll

done

I have GAINED weight :-( but am heading into a 3-week work-away-from-city time where I will have more time to workout (but of course I won't up it too much) and eat/cook very healthy. We'll see where I am after that. I am trying not to stress out about it, or to stress too much about what feels like a very very unfocused time training-wise. Yes, I know that's part of "recovery" but I don't feel like I had much to "recover" from this season... Oh Well...

For this week:

3 walk/jogs, increase length of jogging again, run a TINY bit
2 bikes at least an hour each
2-3 pool swims, one lake swim
at least 2 stretch/core/foam roll

BTW if anyone on the East Coast is by any chance doing Danskin in Sandy Hook, NJ, we should try to meet! I'm doing the race as a relay with my mom & sister. I will swim (that's the lake swim), my sister (who up till this summer hadn't biked in about 20 years) will bike, and mom (73!) will walk. So it's not at all a "race" but that is what Danskin is about, in some ways...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone join in?

Last week:

2 bike
4 run
1 sprint tri (not counted in the other stuff)

This week:
run 6 of 7 days (including a 10k)
2 swims (one pool, one OWS)
3 bikes (one 40 min, one 1hr, one 3hr)

Last week was pretty weak, but I didn't want to overdo before the sprint. I'm building my run right now and keeping the bike at fitness level till I'm satisfied that my run's up to snuff.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PR'd a 1/2 marathon! 2:10 (which is still slow, I know, but my last 1/2 mary was 2:20).

Attempted to ride a century the next day but things did not go my way. I got stung by a MONSTER bee. The course was marked for crap. My crew got a late start and broke out early. Basically, I rode 50 miles and called it a day. 50 miles after the 1/2 marathon was not as easy as I thought it was going to be. I am a little worried -- my knees still hurt. I know it has only been one day but I am usually not sore.

What else ... swimming is getting better. I am swimming 1:30/100 yards, which is a HUGE improvement over my 1:50/100. This is pool time only -- when I don't have a black line I swim in a Z formation and my times suck.

So things are still looking up. And I am managing not to pig out after the tough workouts. I am finding I need about 3,000 calories a day just to get through the day, but I am not gaining weight so I guess that's what it is.

If I never see another Gatorade after IMFL it will be fine by me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a bad week...
  • Get in over 9 hours this week....last big week before my surgery and some forced time off.....

B...got in 8:26 including a 2 hour trail run...
  • weigh daily keep weight under 172...3 days out of 7

D....was around 174 all week...
  • Get permit issues done for Adventure Runs

B....they are being sent in the mail...
  • Do nice thing for wife

B...

This week I am having a vasectomy reversal on Friday so training will be limited in the next 5 weeks of forced layoff...
  • get in 4 hours of training.
  • finalize and mark (flagging tape) Adventure Run course before Friday.
  • Keep my weight at 174 on limited training...weigh daily, dont overeat.
  • Grin and bear it on Friday and then rest

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The relay with your Mom and sister sounds so great!! Enjoy and make sure you take pictures!

Tigerchik - congrats on a month of good nutrition!!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone join in?

Of course! It's great to see some new faces on this thread. I often think about this thread through the week and it really does help me get my workouts done and helps me to eat better.

Great to see the PR's come flying in from everyone! Congrats to you all!!

Steve-Oh - sounds like you're doing something wonderful for your wife, yet again. Good luck with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find them calling it "micro surgery" a little insulting.... : )
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find them calling it "micro surgery" a little insulting.... : )

Ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a good week for me at all :-(

I haven't posted in a long time because, well, there has been nothing to post. In the past few weeks I have run about 3 times and done one 40 minute trainer workout.

I have been pretty sick for a year, and apparently it takes 2 primary physicians, 3 GI docs, 3 different courses of meds, endless restriction diets, multiple blood tests, a colonoscopy and a sigmoidoscopy (yes, in that order) to diagnose someone. Last week I got the final verdict ...ulcerative colitis, a type of inflammatory bowel disease.

I have started on prednisone and asacol, and after 4 days I am already seeing an improvement!!!

So my goals for this week:

-if feeling up to it, get out of a walk most days this week.
-not eat EVERYTHING in sight ...anyone have any tips for appetite control while on prednisone?!?!?
-keep a positive attitude :-) The diagnosis may be a little scary and quite a bit belated, but I'm going to have my life back!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only imagine how tough it's been. I bet you're so relieved to finally have a diagnosis - at least that's something you can deal with and move forward rather than always wondering. Glad to hear you're already seeing an improvement. Keep posting here, even if you end up doing nothing for the week. This thread helps us all stay on track and, when we get off, helps us get back on it.

I suggest you make yourself a big pot of homemade soup. When you get the munchies, have a bowl of soup instead. Sometimes, when I don't have soup around, I'll make myself a cup of hot chicken broth. It sounds weird, but that's all I need sometimes to take the edge off the munchies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, that's a lot of stuff. Glad the meds are making you feel better and I hope that allows you to get back to more training.

munchies - melon! and plain yogurt.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It has been a strange year ...moving to a new state, starting grad school, getting engaged, going from working out 1-2 hours a day to having less energy than my 80-something year old grandmother (I'm 23) ...lots of stress. Not knowing what was wrong with me way WAY up there.

I didn't make it out for a walk today, but I played with my doggies for about an hour in the backyard. Sadly, that is an improvement.

As for eating, I did pretty well ...snacked on fruit, light popcorn, soup, and frosted mini wheats. I only went for the frozen yogurt twice and managed to keep it in moderation.

Thank you again for the support ...hopefully I'll soon be posting 'ran 8 miles on monday, 2400m swim and abs on tuesday' instead of 'walked 20 minutes on monday, threw tennis balls and frisbees for 1 hour on tuesday' :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doggie play time totally counts towards weekly workout goals!

I'm glad you have a diagnosis and treatment. Not knowing must have been really stressful. Now you get to heal and move forward. Please come around more often, we need a balance of high achievers and those of us who are barely getting in any exercise at all.

As far as food. Geez, I'm not any help. Sorry. I have no self control around it. I'm looking for a will power patch but there hasn't been one invented yet. I'll let you know if I find one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week--

Only 1 -- FINISH IMWI!!!!-- Completed with time to spare. I will work on a race report this week and get it posted. In summary, I had a terrific swim, some medical issues on the bike that were frustrating, and a decent run even with stomach issues. I am stoked to have finished but have some unresolved issues with the course that may need to be fought out in IMWI take 2!!

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Are you already signed up for next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not technically but I do have a voucher in my hands. I have from Sept 15-23 to decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations on your finish!....getting to the finish line is the thing....anything better is just gravy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Not technically but I do have a voucher in my hands. I have from Sept 15-23 to decide.
SIGN UP NOW!!! ;-) You know I'll hound you until you do - I know how you are, the "unfinished business" will annoy you to no end......and you know you can rule that course, just the way you did all summer. So, go for it! I'll look forward to being out there again cheering you on and pestering you. ;-)

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 9/8/08 [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh look who's back stirring up trouble... :P

Quote | Reply
CONGRATS!!!

can't wait to read your RR.

Quote Reply

Prev Next