Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beets
Quote | Reply
I'm posting this over her since it would get buried in the political threads in the LR. I bought some beets at the farmers market the other day, mostly because they looked so nice and i try to really vary my diet, eating in season and bright colored things etc. However, now that i have them I don't really know what to do with them. I am looking for a healthy, savory rather than sweet recipe for them. I don't need a salad recipe, I have a bunch of those.

Any suggestions?

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to roast mine. Just drizzle them with a little olive oil and throw them into a 400 degree oven until done. (Length of time varies on size of beets) You can either peel them before hand or scrub the peels off with a vegetable brush after cooking. One of my favorite things is a medley of roasted golden, chioga (the red & white 'bullseye' ones) and "regular" beets. So delicious! I usually sprinkle a little vinegar on them - either a seasoned rice vinegar or I have an orange muscat vinegar from Trader Joes that works particularly well.

Enjoy!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a bit more complicated than you wanted, but I grate mine and include them in fresh spring rolls. The beets do bleed and will stain your clothes, wear an apron you don't care about. The red from the beets make a beautiful pattern on the spring roll wrapper. It's a visual party stunner and adds nutrition to an already healthy food. Inside my spring rolls I include, cucumber, grated carrots, avocado, fresh mint, tofu browned in olive oil, and rice noodles. I have never made these for anyone that did not ask for the recipe. Once you get the hang of rolling a few and using the wrappers, it's a cinch. I serve them with homemade peanut sauce.

In New Zealand, we visited an area where there would be a slice of raw beet on hamburgers, rather than a tomato. It was quite good. Have fun with your beets.
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm the spring rolls sound like a weekend dish, I'll have to try that. Might try roasting them tonight, that sounds good too.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prepping the food takes a bit of time but once you get started rolling, it's a breeze. My girlfriend who lived in an asram for a year taught me how to make them. They are so crunchy and fresh and cold on a hot summer day. They make me feel like I'm eating pure health. You can include the tofu or not. You can also throw in any veggies in the fridge. The one thing you really need though is the mint. It gives them such a boost of flavor. If you ever decide to take them, PM me and I will write the instructions in detail. It's worth the learning curve...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love beets. I roast mine too. You can also wrap them in foil and toss them on the grill. I typically just put olive oil, S/P on them, but they are also good with some goat cheese on top.

Warning: if you eat a lot of them (which I usually do) they will make your pee and poo a funky color the next day. Do not be alarmed. :-)
Last edited by: QRgirl: Sep 8, 08 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them just boiled. Takes an hour or so to do, they're a dense veggie, but taste SO good.

I hate canned beets... but the fresh ones are yummy.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I roast mine. I just had some today. They were so yummy. I cut up "root vegetables" Parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagers(?sic) and beets. Spray with Pam and roast at 450 for about an hour. I also just roast the beets alone. They are so good as leftovers too.
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH Yum this sounds good and easy!! So do I cut them up and put them in foil and add the cheese after they are cooked?
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just crumble the cheese over them right before you serve. The white cheese looks pretty on the red beets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm too "Eastern European" thanks to my stepmother. I'd make borscht. I'm lazy so I'd do it the easy way. Wash, peel, and either cut into slivers (think french fries), add cut up potato (same cut), sliced onion and boil it all in some beef stock till its all soft and red.

I love it. Eat hot as is or cool it to room temperature and add a dollop of sour cream, depending on diet.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, sorry I didn't get that recipe out last night. Got distracted by televised reports of Hurricane Ike and today I'm working on getting ready for Ike. It's coming, I promise. (The recipe, hopefully not Ike.)
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a problem, beets will be in season for a while, get you and yours ready for the storm

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beets ! Can't beat them ! Wash them, cut off roots and tops, throw away roots, put beets and tops in covered dish and micro-wave 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle a little garlic on them and have it !!

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boil an hour, under cold water in the sink wipe off the skin with your hands (it'll be easy, yet a wee bit hot). Cut into large chunks and sprinkle with balsamic vinegarrete and goat cheese. Oh yeah. Gettin' beets tonight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps more than you wanted, but well worth the effort.

Beet & spinach risotto

1 TBSP butter
1 medium onion, diced
1-1/2 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
2 cups grated beets (we just chop in food processor)
3 cups fresh spinach
5-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
salt & pepper
1/2 lemon, squeezed for juice
freshly grated parmesan cheese

Saute onion in butter on medium heat. After a few minutes, add rice & stir to coat. Then, add wine and cook, stirring until liquid is absorbed (~ 2 minutes). Add beets. Continue cooking, adding stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring while liquid is absorbed (~ 20 minutes). When there is 1 cup of stock remaining, add spinach, parsley & basil.

When finished, season with salt & pepper, and stir in lemon juice. Serve garnished with parmesan on top.

Make sure you have a dinner guest; you'll be a rock star.
Last edited by: wesley: Sep 14, 08 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [wesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The risotto sounds yummy, made the roasted beets the other day and they were to die for. Diva sent me her spring roll recipe but I haven't gotten to it yet, going to have to pick up some more beets.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a salad recipe i've just been introduced to and is definately a nutritious pick-me-up. simply peel a raw beet and carrot or two and grate, finely chop a little raw garlic and some fresh parsley. mix together, crumble over some feta cheese and dress with balsamic and some olive oil. delicious as a side to grilled lemon chicken or packed into a sandwich/wrap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to second the beet risotto. BUT the best beets are Harvard beets. Boil or roast then add some sugar or honey and vinager and anything else that sounds good, and salt and pepper then thicken the sauce with a bit of cornstarch. IT has been awhile since I made them. Mmm.

t

My Blog:
http://www.staggerforwardrejoicing.com
Ultrarunning & Parenting: There is no finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I roast mine. I just had some today. They were so yummy. I cut up "root vegetables" Parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagers(?sic) and beets. Spray with Pam and roast at 450 for about an hour. I also just roast the beets alone. They are so good as leftovers too.
I was just going to add almost this exact recipe. I cut up beets, white pototoes, yams and carrots into about 1/2" cubes, put them in a slightly oiled pan and sprinkled oil and some salt, pepper and garlic on top and roasted until soft. Yum!
Quote Reply
Re: Beets [roadie gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did them roasted again last night, came out even better than the first time, I added golden beets to it this time and didn't like them as well as the red ones, but they were still good.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a name like Jim how can you post about Beets and not have anyone make one reference from The Office, Dwight Schrute, or Jim Halpert. I am ashamed of the posters before me.

Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica!

As for recipes I am not of much help.
Quote Reply