Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SOS!!!
Quote | Reply
I did SOS yesterday in New Paltz New York and it was hands down the most spectacular race I have ever done! For those of you not on the east coast - it is worth the trip! My goal was to make the necessary cut-off before the third swim and to finish the race. I made the cut off with 1 1/2 hours to spare and I wasn't close to being the last one to finish :).

For those of you who don't know about the race it is a point to point race that starts with a 30 mile road bike and then you do a series of runs and swims that total 2.1 miles of swimming and 18 miles of running on trails through the most beautiful mountain scenery where you feel as if you are on top of the world. The tricky part is that you have to carry your shoes during the swims! Since the race is limited to 150 people who have qualified by doing a 1/2 or an ironman most of the racers were ahead of me. The sense of quiet and beauty on the course was amazing and it seemed that everyone was out there just to absorb it and enjoy the day. I met some of the nicest most genuine people yesterday and the experience re-newed my appreciation for what we are all able to do with our bodies.

I know that some of you are heading up to New Paltz for a training weekend - enjoy - I wish I could join you!!!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS!!! [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always curious the different ways people carry their shoes. How did you carry yours? I had a friend who did it a few years ago, and she bought a small kayak dry bag, that she belted around her waist like a fanny pack, with her shoes inside, to keep them dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow. that sounds absolutely awesome. i think i'll have to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!! That is a truly epic race and you should be very proud of your finish.

You're not going to do the SOS-American Zofingen double?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the title of the thread and thought you had a really super urgent question :-) instead of trying to answer something I guess I just get to say

Congrats!!!

are you one of the women I met before Patriot this July? or have I confused you with someone else (if so, way sorry!)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Sep 8, 08 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! That sounds like amazing race!!

Quote | Reply
Yup - that was me you met!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS!!! [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stuffed one shoe in the front of my jersey and one in the back. I decided it wasn't worth it trying to keep them dry - especially since there is always a chance of rain on race day. I bought a pair of the new K-Swiss triathlon shoe that has holes in the bottom for drainage and they dried really quickly. I only have the two small blisters that I get after every long race. It was really interesting to see all the different ways people approached it. A few people ran in wet suits which was especially hard to believe.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS!!! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the race for you - there is so much more swimming and running than biking. Sign up is later this fall and limited to the first 150!
Quote Reply