Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giving up my caffeine :(
Quote | Reply
In my ongoing strive to not be the fat kid in Kona (oh, and be healthy and blah blah blah hehe) I'm thinking about cutting out my daily delicious mocha frappuccino.

Earlier this year, Aprilish, I gave up my cola habit which was a 4-6 can a day deal, but kept my frap's. I want to make this next step, but it means there will be no caffeine in my life whatsoever (I greatly dislike regular coffee so I won't be replacing my lost caffeine with that). I'm ok with the no caffeine thing, except for what might happen if I decide to have an occasional frap here or there.

Anyone have any experience with having 0 caffeine on a day-to-day basis and then the occasional 115mg caffeine shot?

Quote | Reply
Eh, it's not bad. I've been addicted to caffeine and given up caffeine several times. The last quitting session was about 3 weeks ago. It's nice not being addicted to caffeine but when you have it again, you can really feel it.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not switch to a short Americano? No calories to speak of and you still get a little caffeine? I'm not sure I'm capable of giving it up and also not sure I care to try. Caffeine isn't making you "fat", the frappachino is.

Just trying to give you a reason to not give something up :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I know it's the frap not the caffeine that's making me fat. But I HATE coffee (and especially hot drinks of any kind, so tea won't work either). Any of it... regular coffee, Americano, Latte. The whole lot. That's why I have fraps. So if I give them up it's sayonara caffeine.

Quote | Reply
Very sad :-(. I wish you luck! You are a better and stronger woman than I!

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good thing is when you need it, it will work for you! I gave up diet coke a while ago, and from time to time I have one if I'm dragging, it definately helps now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4-6 cans a day of soda plus the Frap. Never mind all those junk calories you will be giving up to drop the pounds. Think of all of the money you will be saving. What's a frap going for these days? $3.50? If you are doing that 30 days a month that's $105 per month, which is $1260 per year. Then add up the soda at say $2.00 per day. That's an additional $60 per month. Bam... You will be saving $165 per month. Wow.. $1960 per year. Now someone else can add up the junk calories you will be dropping.

Good job!

Last edited by: B-Dub: Sep 6, 08 22:54
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's actually diet pop (soda... whatever) that I was drinking so no calorie change there. And considering I use (confession time) my frap's as my breakfast, incorporated into my daily calorie count, the pounds won't just drop off as easily as if I had added it to everything else I was eating. Definitely will be a healthy change though!
Ah now if only I would see the saved money in my pocket. Alas, Airmiles & Visa points have paid for several months of my 'Bucks lol.

Quote | Reply
When I wanted to get off coffee in grad school I used caffine pills to ween myself off it to keep the headaches and fatigue down. Makes myself seem like a total addict, but it worked. Maybe not the healthiest way either...

I am back on fancy starbucks and dunkin donuts drinks now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i gave up caffeine two years ago and while it was hard at first now i don't even miss it. i do use coke or red bull when racing or training over 4 hours and i find it to be really effective. whether it's the sugar or the caffeine or both i don't know but i like the effects:)

in answer to your original question i have slipped every now and then and forgotten to order a "decaf" when ordering my several times weekly hazelnut latte at peets. it's not a big deal and doesn't turn me onto caffeine again.

good luck.

halliet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cuds, the research I've read on giving up caffeine said that it takes about 5 days (give or take a day or 2, depending on the individual differences) for the body (specifically adenosine receptors ) to reset themselves back to a pre-caffeine baseline. I gave it up 2 weeks before IMC, and I found myself a bit hungrier the first few days. On day 6 I had 2 cups of drip coffee and PR'ed a 5K. The next week I went off it again and it was easier to give up - I found that with sufficient sleep I was alert enough not to need the boost during the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could keep the frap and just have sugar free syrup and non fat milk. I just hate to see anyone give up their Starbux. That's asking way too much!

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up my coffee habit and soda habit back in March or April, I can't remember (I'm like you - no regular coffee, but I was a raspberry latte, carmel machiatto (extra carmel) or coffee made at home with hot coco powder plied in make a psuedo-mocha). No caffeine at all until about 3 weeks ago when I made a huge pot of coffee for my mom and husband to drink and my mom ended up not coming over that morning, so I had 2 cups - I felt sick for about 4 hours - the caffeine really killed me, upset my stomach and made me super jittery. Of course, had I only had one cup, it probably wouldn't have been so bad, but since my habit was always 2 big mugs, that's what I did. I'll stay away from the caffeine for quite a while after that!!

Good luck on giving it up though!! I do feel much better without the caffeine cruch every morning.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [lesson989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You could keep the frap and just have sugar free syrup and non fat milk. I just hate to see anyone give up their Starbux. That's asking way too much!
Great idea in theory, but the frap's are pre-mixed drinks. They aren't put together with milk & syrup.

Quote | Reply
See I don't really thing I have a caffeine crutch as much as I have a sugar/chocolate crutch. I was even telling someone last night how much I couldn't wait to get up in the morning to have my yummy frap. They're soooo good. So here is what I've devised for myself: I will continue to drink my frap's until I have steadily weened myself off all the sugary products I like to consume. Once that is complete the fraps will move on.

And these damn fraps have over 100mg of caffeine so I just know once I stop drinking them altogether that I won't be able to have an occasional one :( If only we had Diet Coke made with Splenda up here I'd drink that, but the damn aspartame was killing me.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!!

Quote | Reply
Ok, haven't read all of the posts and I'm sure you're far and away from being fat.......I would just try a NF version and keep your habit. I can't kick the caffeine habit it is too reinforced for the last 15 yrs, thanks to my daughter. Also I have a pretty bad wine habit......

N~
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [kitkat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there was a non-fat version, believe me I'd be all over it like a fat kid (me) on a smartie hehe. Damn you Starbucks... you win! :)

Quote | Reply

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this your suggestion for a new job? lol

Quote | Reply
I don't know that you'd want to surround yourself with all that sugar...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were talking about the barista made fraps. But how about the little cans of Starbux double shot? They have a light version, only 70 cals! of course 35 of those are fat calories..but still...

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [lesson989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The barista made fraps are still pre-mixed - they basically just pour the mix into the blender with ice and voila! (are you thinking of the iced coffees maybe?) What are the cans of double shot? Is it just coffee? I've got a sneaking suspicion that might be an American product.

Quote | Reply
Are the frap lights not available north of the border? There really is such a thing down here.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving up my caffeine :( [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are available, but they're disgusting. I don't know why they couldn't get it right with that one, but they didn't. Might be something about the sweetner being pre-mixed in there or something?

Quote | Reply
How is quitting going? Did you have one today? I was pretty proud of myself for only having one latte. But that was only because I was running late and didn't have time to grab a second one. So, I'll take partial credit. If I could just cut back I'd be happy.

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next