Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/25/08
Quote | Reply
Time for another edition of "How'd You Do?". Tell us the good and the bad about your last week of training with respect to your goals.

Here's me:

- I got in 4 out of 4 runs and 1 out of 2 bikes. Not bad, but not good either. Gotta put in huge miles over the next 5 weeks on the bike in order to even start the AmZof race
- Stayed the same weight-wise. I'm down 5 lbs since we started this, but still have a ways to go. Grrrrrr....

Next week:

- I've mapped out a new training schedule for the next 7 weeks to get ready for American Zofingen. It includes 4 runs and 3 bikes every week. I'm going to do what I can to get them all in. I've already got my first 1:10 run in this morning.
- Only 1 more week of summer vacation for my kids! Woo Hoo!! It's been a good summer, but my training really suffers when my kids are home. It's so much easier to get out and do my thing when they're in school.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/25/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) Stay healthy through week 1 of taper- Didn't get all of my workouts completed as I just wasn't all that focused. My long ride on Sat was miserable. I just didn't want to ride and I could still feel last weekends Dairyland Dare and 3 hour run in my legs. Other than that I did enjoy the extra free time.
2) Monitor weight and eating through taper. No weight gain but hopefully weigh loss. -- No weight gain and just a tad of weight loss. I did great eating except for the cookie dough I bought on Friday.

Goals for this week:
1) Stretch and foam roll at least three times this week.
2) Start gathering items for Transition Bags and Special Needs
3) Don't freak out too much with IMWI only being less than two weeks away!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a good 12 mile run in on Friday and was supposed to do a hilly 60 mile bike in on Saturday. However, duty called and I attended a happy hour with some friends Friday night. Suffice it to say I had a great time and didn't make it to the ride on Saturday. Instead, I headed to Dewey Beach, Delaware for some more fun Saturday night.
By the way, Dewey Beach's nickname is Do Me Beach :) WoooHooooo, what a weekend!
I did ride 40 miles yesterday, so all was not lost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highlights from my 16-hour week...

Long ride by myself, which was an accomplishment. 75 miles. Did not get lost, did not get run over by a car, no mechanical issues -- good ride.

Long run: 18.25 miles. No problem, no soreness the next day.

Did an aquathlon race -- a tiny one (800m swim/ 5k run). Did fine. Then, went to Masters practice right afterwards, where we put in another 3,000m. Good swim day. :)

I am absolutely ravenous all the time, but not gaining weight. Actually, my weight has not changed but my clothes are fitting better. And I am eating like a pig -- healthy foods, for the most part, just a lot of food. Oink.

I have a 20-mile run tomorrow, and I am planning on a four-loop course of a 5-mile jogging trail around a lake. Goal: all four loops, no excuses. It is hard for me to pass the car, keys in hand, at mile 15. But I. Will. Keep. Running.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 8/25/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5-mile jogging trail around a lake

You are *so* lucky to have this close to you!! Good luck with the run. You aren't allowed to stop at mile 15 or you'll have to come onto this thread next week to confess!!
Quote Reply
I did pretty well :-) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training: I ran 39 miles last week (7 runs), one was a 5k local race. I ran a slow time for me (21:41... my PR is 20:14) but still got 2nd place. And I won a gift certificate for a pair of shoes. Also, I swam twice, and did get on the bike once (for 80 minutes). Happy with that.

On the Not Getting Hurt part - I did the shoulder stuff twice, but my shoulder hurt after doing it the second day, so maybe it's contributing to the troubles?! I stopped doing it. Will see how my shoudler feels (the right one's impinged) and maybe work with a PT when I get back to school. Also, I have some IT band trouble that's causing knee pain. So I am trying my hardest but still somewhat injured :P if anyone can help with IT band stuff, please visit my thread on the main forum.

Nutrition: goal was to eat enough and not throw any of it up (or, in eating disorder speak, no restricting and no purging). I felt like I was undereating - would run and be really tired or not fast - but it wasn't purposeful restriction, and my weight is stable, so I'm giving myself points for not undereating. Also, I didn't purge at all (though was sooooooooo close to it this morning). So, today is DAY SIXTEEN!!!! of "being good" in terms of eating disorder recovery. I have a calendar with a sticker for each day I don't restrict or purge... lots of stickers!!!

for this week:
-cycle once, provided my knee feels okay.
-swim once, if shoulder is okay.
-figure out how to deal with the IT band stuff so I can keep running.
-keep up the good work with eating / not purging.

Those are all kinda vague but there they are...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I did pretty well :-) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I give you a gold star sticker!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
Write out a schedule and stick to it. Wrote out the schedule and almost stuck to it.
Add back running twice this week. Done!
Get back on the nutrition plan. 50/50
Track on Tues. and Fri. Done! And had a big breakthrough on Friday night! Race report is here http://ironclm.typepad.com/...rr-friday-night.html

For this week:
Run twice.
Race Tue/Wed at track.
Follow the taper plan that Kenny gave me.
Strict on the nutrition! Write everything down.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I did pretty well :-) [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks :D that'll look good among my sparkly lady bug stickers. Off to put one of those on the calendar, I just force-fed myself a bedtime snack :P

I appreciate your support - you have no idea. It's hard. Any little motivation (ie, getting to tell you guys it is day sixteen! or silly little stickers) helps... I certainly have real time support (a therapist, can always call my mom like I did this morning and scream over the phone, I am this close to throwing up) but I don't know, it's just helpful to have a couple other people 'watching over from afar.' So thanks.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 25, 08 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had moment today. Someone brought into the office not just walnut covered fudge, but also Oatmeal Raison Cookies. Why? I don't know. It is August, not December! I had a couple cookies and a bit of fudge. But I was good. I am going to ride 47 miles tomorrow.
Last edited by: fitzie: Aug 26, 08 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all -- tigerchik, I also give you a gold star, a sparkly (virtual) one with bubbles shooting out of it if you like bubbles. :-) If you prefer sparkles, there are rainbow sparkles just behind the bubbles... That's a hard thing to ovecome, you're doing great, keep it up!!

Second of all -- my week -- okay. I was on vacation, at a house with lake access. Plan was to ride 2-3x, swim 3x, stretch/core 3x.
What I did: NO biking, 6 swims (!!), added in 2 walk/jogs. I did a pathetic imitation of speedwalking with a few one-minute jogs thrown in, and NO stretch/core. But all is okay, I was on vacation after all! Food was good but too much.

This week -- 2 walk/jogs, maybe maybe attempt a little running if knee doesn't hurt. 2-3 bikes (already did one today!). 3 swims. Core/stretch at least once.

I am in a house in the Catskills this week with very little access to fast food so should be able to eat healthy, have no choice, have to cook.

This summer has felt odd - only 3 races (2 so far, last 1 is in 2 weeks) compared with last year's 6. Also training hasn't been very focused due to life issues & injuries. I am trying to feel okay about it, have some perspective, but it's frustrating as this is only my third season and I was really getting better and better, overall, till this year. Today I rode the bike for the 4rth time in ONE MONTH - yikes - it was TONS of FUN but I also felt disappointed at what feels like a big loss of fitness.

Oh well. There is always next year!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the post this week but here we go....Last Weeks goals...:
  • I'm racing an off road triathlon that I havent done before so I have no basis to set goals....but here is my take anyway:
  • Finish in the top 28% of the field.

C...Well, who knew the entire field would be only 37 people and mostly vast athletes....finished 17 out of 37 teams and solo's...happy with my placement given the field...
  • Place in AG.

A...hey, there were 3 guys 50-59, and one 63 year old and I beat them all....won my AG and got some cool socks..cant beat that....
  • have a good time at the off road triathlon and enjoy it...especially the bike...

B...Great event and course...they ae going to do it annually and it will be a great addition to the tri schedule here....I had a great time and will be back next year...only crashed twice on the bike and could have avoided the first one...but I managed to keep a good attitude and enjoy the event...
  • average 164 HR for the event....

B....Ha!...averaged 164 average heart rate for the event....2:02:40 finish time.....good solid effort...
  • train 5.5 hours of training....(I have some medical procedures that will get in the way so 5.5 hours would be good....)

C...got in just under 5 hours....
  • swim one interval session...

B...got in one....
  • Pre ride the mt bike course before the event....

B....did it and learned it was going to be tough and slow going....knowing the course helped out race day....

D....I didnt list my weight goal but I was around 174 all week so I give that a D...I need to get back to around 172....

This week...
  • keep weight under 173 more days than not....weigh daily....
  • get in 8.5 hours of training in....I am flying solo this weekend so I have an opportunity to get in more training...
  • Decide on putting on Adventure Run event or not this Fall...
  • Scout location for future Adventure Race...
  • Do nice thing for wife...

Quote Reply