Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMC Changing tent: Advice?
Quote | Reply
I"ll be in the women's changing tent on Sunday, I'm not sure if it will be first or second shift. I've done IM in the past and have always had great volunteers help me in the tents, but I'm assuming that BEING a volunteer is very different. Does anyone have any past experience and tips you can pass along? Things volunteers did that were helpful or not.

Thanks!

I can't wait for Sunday!
Last edited by: QRgirl: Aug 21, 08 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Changing tent: Adivce? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me the most helpful thing was having the volunteer dump out my transition bag then grab stuff as I pull it off and put it in the bag for me. Trying to help with socks and shoes doesn't really work out well. As the athlete gets up to leave do a quick scan of the ground and the bag to make sure they aren't forgetting anything.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Changing tent: Adivce? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The volunteers in the changing tent in AZ were great. they dumped my bag and then made a pile of everything I was taking off. THen they held up each thing from the bag they dumped asking if I wanted it or not, if I did, where did it go. They put my nutrition in my pocket (I guess they did because it was there on the run and I don't remember doing it. They asked if I wanted water, ice or what, and had cups of them ready to hand me. The whole thing was a blur to me, but I got what I needed and was out of there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Changing tent: Advice? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just a little annoyed at one thing my T2 volunteer did at IMAZ. I had very carefully rolled up my socks to make them easier to put on, and she unrolled them and smoothed them out. I'm sure she thought it was helpful, and it was actually kind of a nice thought, but! I wanted them rolled! So maybe ask before changing/undoing anything that might seem unusual. I hope this isn't too nitpicky; I certainly appreciated all the help I got.

OH! One other thing. I did not change my top in T2, and when I left the tent my jersey pockets were still full of stuff from the bike: a spare tube from my SNB, a pb&j I did not eat, and my arm coolers. I threw away the pb&j and the tube at mile 1 (though it pained me) and kept the arm coolers in my pocket. I blame only myself for not taking the stuff out in T2, but it would have been awesome if someone had noticed the bulging pockets in the tent and asked if I wanted to take anything out of them.

I'm jealous... sounds like a fun day! Have a great time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a couple of stints in the tent and have made a few of observations.

If you work the early shift, things tend to be much more hectic as most of the athletes go through in about an hour. It gets crazy and you don't have much time to help each person. Luckily, most are in good shape and know what they want.

The late shift is totally different. Slower paced, as athletes tend to "trickle" in, but they generally are looking for more help from the volunteers. The faster women usually don't want or need much help, so I will usually open their bag and just ask what they want or need and what can I do for them. They know and will tell you. Otherwise, it's best to keep hands off as they have a plan and have been there before.........just be there ready should they need help.

When the masses hit, you can get more involved and the athletes will often ask advice on what they need or should do. I have helped women with wardrobe selection and hair style touchups. You will be amazed at some of the stuff people have in those bags! Things often in short supply are Body Glide and bandaids. The later in gets, the more likely it is that people will be in tough shape. Sometimes the best thing you can be is a sane and supportive voice in the midst of uncertainty.

Although I tend to be the excitable type (?), I really work at keeping my voice low and calm and trying to be a stabilizing influence. Walking the line between being pushy (bad) or not helpful (worse) is tough. It's important to try and make an assessment about the condition of each person you help and then kind of taylor your response based on that.

Prepare to be exhausted, sore and generally worn out emotionally..................and emotionally pumped at the same time. It's a blast and I will work the tent any time I get the chance! :-) Have fun!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Changing tent: Advice? [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have helped women with wardrobe selection and hair style touchups.

Really? Good lord, I don't know how to French braid, what if someone wants one??? ;-) Clothing choices I can do.

I remember at my first IM my volunteer left me hanging mid-way through trying to get my sports bra on, I was wet, it was very tight and I was stuck with my arms above my head, my bra around my neck and shoulder and my boobs squished down. Not pretty. She eventually came back, thank god.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was IM Lou last year. A girl came off the bike......pretty early, too......and after I opened her VERY FULL bag and asked what she needed, she said "my hairbrush" and the first thing she did was fix her "pony". Then we laid out a couple of outfits......very cute......before she made her final selection. She was very pleasant and appreciative.

I was pretty dumbfounded, but imagine that her finish photo was stunning! ;-)

I have been lucky enough to have helped some of the pros and really fast AG'ers. I love working the tent!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to disagree with the help dumping out the bag...I packed my bag so I could take things out in the order I'd need them...and was shocked when the volunteer dumped is all out! now not only was it all out of order, my socks rolled under a row of chairs and we had to go looking for them while people were running in and out, and it was all crazy in there....
I prefer to do it all alone, but then its nice to have the volunteer pack your discarded stuff in your bag for you....
But I think the key is, everyone is different so be sure to ASK before you do anything!

that's great you are volunteering!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Changing tent: Advice? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. What kbee and gleveq said. I think that just asking is the nicest thing that you could do!

I have everything packed in the order that it goes on. Dumping the bag out actually slows me down. No biggie either way but the most awesome volunteer that I ever had just watched me do my thing and then re-packed my helmet and shoes for me after - THAT was really really appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sad to be missing it! Have a fun time in the tent, Erin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like what gleveq said about being a calm, stabilizing influence. At AZ one volunteer said to me as I headed out of T2, "Now you *just* have to run a marathon! In 95-degree heat!" Even though I was feeling fine at that point, I didn't feel like it was a very supportive thing to say to someone who was about to run a marathon in 95-degree heat. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it go? Any stories to share?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Changing tent: Advice? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was fun, amazing, inspiring and entertaining!

We had a few gender ambigious people where we volunteers were like "hmmmm, are you in the right tent?" and one guy intentionally do a quick run through the women's tent with a big grin on his face. For 98% of people any sense of modesty goes right out the window.

There were A LOT of shivery ladies coming out of the water.

I'm guessing about 50% of the athletes did complete wardrobe changes. One person Michelle helped brushed her teeth in T2. :-) One lady spent about 3 minutes fluffing her hair while looking into her compact. Lots of them asked me what they should wear, mostly in regards to the weather. My question to them was whether they get cold or not. Lots of stinky peed'd in shoes and shorts in T2, I'm glad we had on gloves.

I'm guilty of being a bag dumper. I started asking later in the day and most athletes OK'd it. It was pretty easy to tell who didn't want help.

It was GREAT to see Miranda, YVRK, Oleander and Jess! in the tent. I somehow missed cuds coming and going.

I'll post QRgirl's tips and suggestions for quick transitions later... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with what QRgirl said - I learned so much! Thank you ladies for your advice, I really tried to just be the calm voice of reason in the flurry of crazy that is Ironman. I'll have a post with pics about the full experience on my blog (hopefully) soon. Stupid job, wanting me to be productive, whatever!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: IMC Changing tent: Advice? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking for you guys after the swim, but I never saw you. Where were you??? I had such a wicked awesome swim that my parents got to the bike start too late to see me start lol.

Quote | Reply
There was a period with T1 where it was crazy busy in that tent, so that's probably when you came through - you'll just have to speed up or slow down if you want extra volunteer attention, lol! ;-P

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply