Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need 3rd Anniversary Advice
Quote | Reply
Hi The Womens,

My wonderful wife and I are coming up on our 3rd wedding anniversary this Monday the 18th and I don't know what to do/get for her to celebrate. Important background: she is in a Ph.D program and her research has made it necessary for her to be gone for about the past 14 weeks (she had to do this last summer as well...and yes it sucks), I've only seen her twice on weekends during that period of time. She arrives home tomorrow afternoon and I'm sure she will just want to unpack, settle in, and relax for the next day or two so I'm not planning anything during that time.

3 Questions:

1. I know she has not had time to think of any kind of gift or gesture to celebrate, should I suggest celebrating in a week or two to give her time to plan and/or buy something so that she doesn't feel bad for not having anything prepared yet?

2. What should I buy her? I have a nice dinner/evening out planned and we are also going on a short vacation together which will be somewhat celebratory, but I have not been able to come up with a really good gift idea. She is pretty athletic but not really into gear so I can't just buy her things that I would like to receive, and I don't think that anything sport related would be very meaningful to her. She is very pragmatic, down-to-earth, and does not like spending money on herself - in fact it even bugs her when I spend money on her, so it can't be anything too extravagant. Personally, I'd spend lots of money to get her the right gift but she the cost would really detract from her ability to enjoy it so I can't go that route. She is outdoorsy but we really have all the outdoor gear we need (including the 4 kayaks I got her as a wedding gift). She is not into jewelry or high fashion but does appreciate nice things (provided they didn't cost too much!). I'll take any ideas or help I can get!!

3. What was the most meaningful anniversary gift you have received?

------------------------------------------------
Ann Arbor Triathlon Club

Follow me on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Need 3rd Anniversary Advice [DaveV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the most meaningful anniversary gift you have received?

My bike trainer. Sounds silly but I have put more hours on that thing than I can count. Plus it showed they he knows how important this stuff is to me. Other favorite gift, for Valentines Day, a burr coffee grinder. I use it almost every day and he knows how important a good cup of coffee is to me.

Maybe upgrade your getaway? Nicer room or nicer location? It sounds like she would really appreciate doing a lot of nothing so whatever you can do do help her accomplish nothing the better. Can you unpack for her? Do all her laundry? In general, just take care of her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE anything spa/massage related. Massage, 1 hours + of just someone trying to make you feel better--is GREAT! :)

Best anniversary present I've received? probably a great piece of jewelry from a far away place that my boyfriend and i had taken a trip to--i noticed it and he drove back and picked it up. not too expensive, just beautiful and very "me." :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hubby drew me a bath (not a bath person but went along with it anyway) with candles and took about 15 river rocks from our front yard and wrote things on them in perma-ink (and set them around the tub). Some things he wrote were:

* My Wife
* Hammer Head Hottie
* Ironman
* Hot Chick
* Sexy
* I love you

You get the point. I LOVED this so much because it was so outside the box and so outside anything I figured he would ever do for me. It was a delight to relax in the bath and read all the cool things he wrote on the rocks for me.

Happy 3rd Anniversary!

Quote | Reply
Anything that you make yourself and do yourself she is going to love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the link - maybe you'll get some ideas from that.
http://www.findgift.com/Anniversary-Table/

Does she like watches? You can never have too many IMO. As long as you get a card with some nice thoughts on it I would think she'd be happy. Or river rocks, that's a pretty cool idea :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sent you a PM. i have an entire boutique full of wonderful options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to celebrate the actual day in a low-key way, a bouquet of flowers and take-out from a nice restaurant is one idea that fits well with her need to relax today.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Need 3rd Anniversary Advice [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
photo album you made yourself of the special times the two of you have spent together?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you reading these responses?

one point i wanted to make is to not be concerned about her making plans, or getting you something. just honor the day the best you can, and don't worry about her feeling badly for not getting you a gift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the responses. Obviously with my wife moving back into the house this weekend things have been a bit hectic so I've not been on ST as much; though I have been reading all of your replies (mostly on my iPhone when she's not looking). I really appreciate all of the great ideas that you sent.

Our anniversary was last night and in the spirit of keeping it low key I just bought her a nice bouquet of flowers and some good dark chocolates (her favorites), then we went out to a nice restaurant for dinner and then ended the night with a movie.

We still have our mini-vacation coming up this weekend and I'm hoping to stretch out the celebration a little longer by doing little *hopefully* meaningful things throughout the rest of this week and then through the vacation. I'm thinking like a nice card on one day, a note in her lunch on another, a couple of surprise nice bottles of wine during vacation, and probably a gift certificate for some spa time right when we get back from vacation to extend her feeling of relaxation as much as possible. She enjoys extended celebrations for things like birthdays and Christmas so I figure this is a great opportunity to give her that experience with our anniversary as well.

On a different note: celebrating our anniversary last night things felt a little "off" between us, I'm not sure what the deal was but I was left feeling confused. I asked her if anything was up and she said that everything was great so I didn't press the issue, but something still felt a little off, it was the same way this morning too. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive but I really try to stay in tune with her feelings and I just have this impression that something is on her mind and she's not willing to open up to me about it. Sorry for getting more personal than the original post implied, but if any of you care to PM me about this I wouldn't say no to some female advice.

------------------------------------------------
Ann Arbor Triathlon Club

Follow me on Twitter
Quote Reply