Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Last edited by: Martin C: Aug 3, 08 12:29
Re: pull-up bar from garage rafters? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While in this day and age there is probably a pre-manufactured product for everything, you could just make a bar out of 1 inch threaded pipe purchased at a hardware store. Get a 4' length and 2 x 1'. Fittings: 2 x 90 degree, 2 x threaded flange. Bolt the flanges to the 2x4. This is very sturdy, but sways slightly (probably less for you than me). Just enough sway so it creaks in my basement. I probably could eliminate the creak, but instead I just avoid pullups before my wife awakes as the bar is under the bedroom.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just drilled a couple of holes through a 4-foot long piece of galvanized pipe. Hung it from the rafters on some thick nylon cord.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2 inch galvanized pipe with holes drilled in it mounted above the rafters. I think the large diameter makes it harder than the thinner pullup bars at the gym. Not sure if it helps or not though.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: pull-up bar from garage rafters? [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or you could hang it with some chain. I read in a mens health or something that pull up bars than are suspended make you use your core more.

High Speed - Low Drag
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a joist mount pull-up bar.

http://www.amazon.com/...217798012&sr=8-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, too, just used pipe. But I drilled holes into the rafters, inserted the pipe, then used the pipe ends to hold it into place. No swinging ropes. It does spin a little, but it just causes you to have to work a little harder to keep it from spinning. I did the same thing for dips - thicker pipe inserted waist high into my kids outdoor jungle gym joists. Voila - homemade gym!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. That's it.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Get a 4' length and 2 x 1'. Fittings: 2 x 90 degree, 2 x threaded flange. Bolt the flanges to the 2x4.

I'm thinking I could just install the mounting 2x4 on top and across the two joists, mount the flange to it with bolts, then run the 1' pipes towards the ground, connected with 90s. Make sense?

Connect the mounting 2x4 to the tops of the joists when everything is in place with wood screws, and possibly small blocks on the sides to hold in place.

Martin

That is exactly what I have been considering. I did the same thing with bike hooks. That way the load is spread across 4-5 floor joists. I will probably do the same. If you build yours before me, put up some pics. I am obsessed with pullups right now...

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: pull-up bar from garage rafters? [TriEarl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but I think it would be near impossible to do kip pullups a la Crossfit with a suspended bar. I'm not saying that they're wrong, but I've never been a big fan of most of the Men's Health/Men's Fitness stuff. Now Crossfit? I've gotten better results with that kool-aid than anything I've ever tried. But that's just my opinion. Maybe have a setup where you could suspend it sometimes, and have it installed on the rafters others?

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.target.com/...0up%20bar&page=1

I have this one.
It's removable, but has two "cup" things that are anchored in.
Quote Reply
Re: pull-up bar from garage rafters? [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont care for kipping pull up too much cuz im trying to get in shape for navy special programs and you have to do overhand with your thumbs over the bar and your feet have to hang straight down.

High Speed - Low Drag
Quote Reply
Re: pull-up bar from garage rafters? [TriEarl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a fat bar like the one I have in my garage would work good for that. It's so big I really can't hook my thumbs, so it sounds like the position you need. Yeah, I doubt kips would help much for that, unless you did a LOT of them (like 100). Good luck with the Navy thing, sounds badass.

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang a couple loops of wire on each end. Insert pipe.

Quote | Reply
Martin,

If you want to isolate your lats, you should consider investing in some wrist straps.

Mike

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look into a climbing hangboard or fingerboard -- most have holds big enough for regular pull-ups. I have a couple different models in my garage installed above a doorway from my climbing days. I still use them for pull-ups. I used to strap on weights to my harness for the two-finger finger tip pull-ups. I doubt I could do even one now without seriously injuring a tendon or pulley.

The rock rings are said to be better on the shoulders

www.metoliusclimbing.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice signs.

Good work.

Argh. We didn't need to see that. Good on you. You can do half a pullup. You know if you get those moon boot hang upside down things that were popular in the 90s, maybe you shins would grow so you'd have something besides your calves between your knee and foot.

"Honey, where's your lotion? I gotta oil myself up to try to do a pullup and post a picture of it on slowtwitch."

________
Quote Reply
Re: pull-up bar from garage rafters? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU and suspend two tennis balls from the rafters.
Quote Reply