Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"That glazed-over look"
Quote | Reply
I don't whine all that often, really, so please humor me here a bit.

I'm supposed to be in Ironman build period (just 4.5 weeks out from the race so really only ~1.5 weeks left to 'build fitness'). It was going well till I got sick (which took out my quality workouts for 1.5 weeks). Then, 3 days of good workouts and bam, took a hard fall last night while trail running. Major slide downhill on gravel, road rash on legs and especially arms.

Because of the open wounds on my arms I won't risk swimming. And for sure I won't try to get down into the aerobars. And those two things (swimming, and riding the flats) were the two things I really needed to work on right now.

A colleague/friend I met with this morning said I had a "glazed over look" when she asked me about my training. I loved my IM training but right now I kinda just want to be DONE. I wish the race was in 3 weeks so I could taper.

How do you get your mojo back when you are just tired of training and have some setbacks? I mean, come race day I know I'll be really happy if I have "hit the workouts" on the remainder of my build period. Right now though, I know I have to "want it." How do I get myself to want it again?

Thanks for listening. I know a lot of people have way worse problems than I do, and I should just be grateful for where I am.
Quote Reply
Re: "That glazed-over look" [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I think right where you are is in the toughest part of the training. Make little goals to get through it. Schedule a massage for after a workout, and then do the workout and get the massage.

You've got plenty of time left for swim training, and most of the training in the bike is done (even if you did miss some workouts) so missing a little time won't hurt you. i'm sure you've heard it over and over, you've got the fitness already (heck some people do 4 week tapers), shift your focus from training, to getting ready for the race and think of it as mental training for when the race gets tough. You are at what i think is the toughest part of the training, almost there, but still a ways to go. I remembered that time when I was in the marathon in IMAZ miles 21-23, and it helped keep me going on the run. This part of the training is when you gain mental toughness.

Stick with it, when it's over it will all be worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and I are definitely going to have to get together in Penticton!
I'm kind of in the same place as you. I've been fighting a nagging headache going on two weeks now. Had three flats in three long rides. Feel like crap. My workouts have been way shorter than they should be (should be interesting to see how the marathon goes after my longest run has been 2 hours, jesus!) And now I'm moving this weekend too. I feel ya. And I feel bad for those that read my blog because I've been a whiny little baby recently haha.

Tough it out. I don't have any better advice right now because that's all I keep telling myself. I've got my regular massages booked too. And I'm just making a list of stuff to buy from Erika (tribabe.com).

And now I return to my regularly scheduled glazed over look.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Schedule a massage for after a workout, and then do the workout and get the massage.
Ha, ha. I scheduled a massage for this afternoon, figuring it would motivate me (as usual) to do my hard/intervals bike ride this morning. It didn't. I rationalized my way into skipping the bike workout. "My hands hurt from the road rash" was my excuse - although in all honesty they don't hurt too badly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not how it's supposed to work (though, that is how it works for me most of the time too!). Then get out there tomorrow and start training again!

I wish I were at 4.5 weeks left. I've got about 12, and my motivation is seriously lacking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are smack in the middle of the ugh period. I think we all do this when training for IM. I have for the 3 that I've done and if you browse the main forum you'll soon see postings for people going through this who are doing Canada.

One workout at a time. What's helped me is saying I'll only do half the workout and letting myself off the hook if that is all I do. For an hour run I'd say I'll only do 30 minutes. If I stop at 30 I feel like I am getting away with something, like a little kid who stole a cookie. It is awesome.

Seriously though. One workout at a time. Try not to look at the whole week ahead, just what you have to do that day and force yourself to do at least part of it. You'll get through it. Once you hit taper you'll be going nutty with all the free time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The truth is that if you are not ready three weeks out then you are probably not ready. So rest in the fact you are pretty prepared and you just need to stay fit until the race. No worries, you'll be fine.

Quote | Reply
Mine happened at the end of April... was logging record miles and then just hit the wall. Milage dropped to half and I had a series of DNS's do to a set of most unfortunate circumstances, the list is long, and for the most part the excuses are very weak. I found that I was taking this stuff much too seriously and had to find a way back to liking it.

Anyway, once some of the aches and pains went away and some of the emotional issues settled the enthusiasum for suffering has returned.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
argh!! as others have said you're right smack dab in the middle of the toughest part of im training. you know physically you can do the training but mentally it's a huge battle. i just went through this a couple of weeks ago. i'm doing the full vineman in just over a week so am now in taper mode but getting to this point was particularly tough. emotionally i was a bit of a mess, i wasn't eating enough, my sleeping was disrupted and i simply did not want to do it anymore. i wanted to do the race but i was sick of training! i ended up taking it day by day, relying heavily on my training partners and essentially eliminating as many outside stressors as possible so i could focus on looking after myself and getting the training done.

i would have done just about anything to get out of those last few days of training but am so relieved that i sucked it up and got it done. mentally i'm now in a great place and i'm a lot stronger for having gone through that and physically i can look back at all of the tough days and know i'm ready.

don't look at it like 1.5 weeks to go but rather just take it day by day. try and get as much rest as possible and make sure you're getting enough to eat. your focus over the next week should be you. look after yourself!

are you doing imc? i hope so as i'll be there watching!

hallie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Oleander!
I'm back after much craziness.

Road rash might be a good excuse to back off and just let yourself truly rest and taper. 3 weeks is a good long time. You have been working so hard - now just let it come to you. I usually feel glazed over around a month out, too.

I've had many mis-haps before IM races. I got West Nile right before my 1st IM (still tried to compete, anyways...). Then, in the next IM, I lost my pedal 100 miles into the bike, finishing on one leg.
Then, last year, I fell 40 feet off a cliff, got a concussion and sprained ankle - 2wks before my ironman - still competed in it and loved it. You can't possibly beat me, when it comes to mishaps - although your Auburn race came pretty close!
This IM race is just one more point in your triathlon adventure. The main purpose of a 1st ironman is to just get through and learn what is involved in such a great distance.

IM Canada is the best, too.
You'll do fine and you'll love the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we need to come up with a more 'official' name for this phase... because I would say 95% of IM triathletes go through it...I know I did, twice. Whether your injured or not. That point in your training where you are just sick of it, just want to be done. Period. Then when you are, you're glad and sad all at the same time. A few days later you're going through schedule withdrawl. Post IM blues. You can't function without a swim, bike or run workout you MUST do... so you eat or watch WAY too much tv. You're a lost litte IM soul... until you register for the next event. Then the cycle starts all over again.

The tipping point?

I dunno. Just seems to me it needs a name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday, reading the first few replies here got me OUT THE DOOR to do a short ride followed by a jog around the track with some teammates. It was too easy to be a "hard" or a "key" or a "breakthrough" workout or whatever. But it was better than nothing.

tonight my 'better than nothing' is this: if I leave my office now, I'll be home at 6:15 and there'll be 2+ hours of daylight to get in another ride.

whew, so glad to know my problem is very common and it's not just me!
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally common! Just hang in there and do indeed take it one day at a time. That's what I do. I don't look ahead to tomorrow, just look at what I have to do today. That's it. And have some treats, that will help (not too many, but a few will help).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a short race to remind you what the training is ultimatly for. I got a bit depressed during my IM build and a spontanious sprint tri did wonders for lifting my sprits. If you don't want to or can't swim because of your arms do a local 10km or 5km to test yourself a bit.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do a short race to remind you what the training is ultimatly for. I got a bit depressed during my IM build and a spontanious sprint tri did wonders for lifting my sprits. If you don't want to or can't swim because of your arms do a local 10km or 5km to test yourself a bit.
You are right. And I am mostly healed from my mental burnout - although the physical setbacks continue, with stubborn and almost comic consistency.

Friday - did a 5k run test to set my IM run pace. Result, did something to mess up my knee.

Saturday - long ride, couldn't get into the aerobars but decided to stay in the drops to mimic aerobar time. Result, very stiff left shoulder with reduced range of motion.

Sunday - volunteered at a sprint tri to boost my spirit. Stationed on the course with a cop who spent the whole time lecturing me about cyclists' poor attitude and some bs about rules of the road.

Monday - set out to do first swim in 8 days. SF Bay. Hoped to do 4-5 buoy lines (2-2.5 miles), managed just 0.5 mile because my earplug fell out, which causes me to get bone-cold and lose my equilibrium.

Tuesday (today) - wake up with sore throat.

However, I'm ever hopeful that I can make the most of this final week of IM build. If my luck changes, I might be able to salvage a final long run, a couple of good rides and a couple of good swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am six weeks out from IMWI and am starting to get the "glazed-over look". In fact a guy at a LBS that I don't frequent all that much told me on Monday that I looked exhausted. Which is exactly how I felt. As I reach the last three big weeks of build, I am trying to take each workout at a time and not focus on the 2+ hour runs and 6+hour rides on the weekend but all I really want to do is sleep. Maybe I will be sick on day this week.

I guess there is no reason for my post but I am relieved that others feel/felt this way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wishing you well for the rest of the week!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: "That glazed-over look" [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I don't usually scope out the Womens Forum, but I'm glad I read this Thread. I'm training for IMLOU, and I'm in exactly the same place you are. Really motivated just tired. As far as the glazed over look goes? I could be the president of glazed over monthly newsletter if such a thing existed. Not sure if that makes any sense at all, but I have a feeling you all know what I mean. Good luck with the rest of your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oleander...sorry to be late. I am just reading this thread today. I did not realize you were having these problems.

When you are on your second, third , etc, IM, you will see that some of these unpleasant phases should just be accepted, processed...and ignored. There will always be some tough, less-than-inspirational times. Like the last poster on this thread, "just keep grinding" and before you know it , you'll be at the starting line. To be followed by the FINISH line, with an entirely new attitude. If my rollercoaster of crap can get me there, so can yours. Remember that!

Also -- what a cute comment from the "friend"! Was this an athlete, just curious? Remember, outside people have some very profound responses to others doing an IM.

A few weeks before my IM, I was feeling bloated, overwhelmed, disenfranchised.....now of course I would not project a day like mine onto you, that is really unlikely to happen anyway. You are doing a much more realistic race for your abilty and location and you are better prepared. But in any case, no matter how weird you feel now, there is hope and probabilty that it will all come together for you on race day. In fact, I promise it will.

As for the injury, you took a chance doing what you loved and running on a trail. If you still feel it on race day, let it be a reminder of your love for the sport.

hth -- "glazed over"??? Are you sure this "friend" didn't have donuts on the brain?? sheesh

>>>>>
Quote Reply
Re: "That glazed-over look" [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes - the friend who used the words 'glazed over' is an athlete! - a marathoner, though not a triathlete.

I had a kick-ass long run today...best in a long time. So, I'm experiencing a return to physical/mental normalcy just in time for a few great workouts before taper :) Wishing the rest of you some mental recovery as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your taper time and your race. Glad that you had a great run. That can make all the diff mentally. Right now I'm just really hoping my 24 mile (last long run) goes well this weekend. I've had a really tuf couple of weeks lately-----its that glazed over, do I really want to train like this? mentality. I'm looking for my mojo- you gave me hope with your last post. :-)

N~
Quote Reply