Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Electrolyte Replacement
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my first IM (Florida) and I've been experimenting with Gatorade Endurance formula as a way of getting my electrolytes, above and beyond what's in regular sport drink and gels. However I find that it causes stomach cramping. Even at half strength, or chasing with water, I get discomfort. It hasn't really created a big problem, but I want to think there might be something that better agrees with me. Not to mention, since it does cause some cramping, I'm discouraged from drinking it.

I know there are other methods such as e-caps and lava salt tabs. I was wondering if anyone on here has had a similar experience where an electrolyte drink caused problems but a caplet/tab/pill form worked better. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Replacement [Onyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you will be doing Ironman Florida, you might want to train on regular Gatorade. Ironman Florida will have lemon-lime on the bike course and Orange on the run. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E-GEL! Try it. I sweat like a pig--high salt content.. I use one for every 10-12 oz of H2O.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer Gel HEED is super mild. The power gel drink, is tasty but waaay too tart for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Endurolyte tablets from Hammer to supplement whatever electrolytes I get from drinks & gel. I find it works VERY well, and are very easy to carry with you even on a fairly long course.

What I don't know is how to judge how much electrolyte to take. I think I consumed 6-8 tablets on the run segment of a half-IM in addition to several cups of HEED, after taking 4 tablets on the bike segment. Too much? I dunno, but I didn't have any muscle cramps and I didn't throw up. Any suggestions on how to make a more accurate assessment of actual need?

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want to drink your electrolytes, then my suggestion is adding nuun (www.nuun.com) to you drink mix. Alternatively, Endurolytes from Ecaps are the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Replacement [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I reading the nuun site right, that one tube, which is good for one long ride, is 3/$19.95? For salt?
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Replacement [jv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E-gel. It has the electrolytes, as well as the carbs. I tastes pretty good and then you only need to carry water, or get water at the aid stations. I put several of them in a GU bottle that is attached to my top tube. Gu makes the gizmo for holding the bottle. I put a couple of extra in my jersey, also. I can even use them on the run, since the aid stations always have water.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice would be to go with standard gatorade if does not upset your stomach. It is what you will find on the course, and it is of the appropriate concentration to empty quickly from your stomach. Also, don't try anything race day you didn't try in training :^)...I had a very bad day with Vanilla GU, once.

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
each tube has 16 tabs in it. good for 16 oz each. thus a 3 pack is 48 tabs for $20.
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Replacement [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, not sure, the site says 1 tube is good for 1 gal (128 oz), 128oz/16 tabs = 8oz. Seems awfully expensive to me for just electrolyte replacement.

I second the e-gel recommendation, the e-fuel is good stuff too (also expensive, slightly more than the nuun per oz according to my calculation, but provides high carb content as well).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been using it for 6 months now. you only need 1 tab per bottle. of course the site would like you to use more -- means you will buy more. send dave peacock an email (info@nuun.com) and ask him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might find this interesting: http://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/...ontent/full/38/4/488

read through it and decide if you think you still need electrolyte supplementation.

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolyte Replacement [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I get this:

"[b]This item requires a subscription to British Journal of Sports Medicine Online"[/b]

But it raises a good question. As a heavy sweater, I'm assuming I need to take in a little extra electrolytes over an ironman distance race, but really I have no way of gauging if that is true or measuring how much extra I should take in over what time. To be on the safe side though, I figure I'm more at risk for having low levels of sodium and others rather than too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the nuun suggestion it works great and tastes great too (IMHO). I use 2 or 3 tabs per 750ml bottle of water depending on how hot it is and how I'm feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm...apparently the journal is free for a Philippine DNS. third world country perks!

anyway, the study was conducted on ultra-marathoners (56km) who either reported that they had cramps or no cramps. all the subjects had blood samples drawn and body weights measured pre-race, post-race, and 60 minutes post-race. in people who cramped, there was a statisitically significant lower level of Na. but NOT clincally significant as the sodium level was still normal (139) vs. the non-crampers (142). Mg (which some manufacturers claim is now the secret to eliminating cramps) was actually statistically higher in crampers (although again not clinically significant). Other electrolyte levels were not statistically different between groups.

hydration status was also studied (percent change in BW, blood volume, plasma volume, RBC volume) and again not statistically different between groups.

so...logical conclusion is that neither electrolyte changes nor hydration status contribute to cramps. also, that the supposed electrolyte changes in exercise may be exaggerated. so why take supplements?

Kim
Quote Reply