Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem
Quote | Reply
So, a bit awkward but here's the deal - after a couple of long training rides followed by some more riding and then a Half Ironman this past Sunday (first one ever, 5:09) I've got a nasty blister/chaffe right behind Big Jim and the twins.

I was scheduled to ride for a couple of hours today, easy but as soon as my ass hit the seat I knew that it wasn't meant to be. Any suggestions? Is there anyone out there with experience in this regard? How the heck do I sort this out quick? It's about 6 weeks until IMC and i need to get back out on my bike!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the second day of the rest of your life if you started keeping track yesterday
Last edited by: Cannonball: Jul 8, 08 21:00
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [Cannonball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So, a bit awkward but here's the deal - after a couple of long training rides followed by some more riding and then a Half Ironman this past Sunday (first one ever, 5:09) I've got a nasty blister/chaffe right behind Big Jim and the twins.

I was scheduled to ride for a couple of hours today, easy but as soon as my ass hit the seat I knew that it wasn't meant to be. Any suggestions? Is there anyone out there with experience in this regard? How the heck do I sort this out quick? It's about 6 weeks until IMC and i need to get back out on my bike!
No suggestions, but i feel your pain. I've been doing neosporin and nonstick bandages on road rash on my butt from a crash last week, haven't been in the saddle in a week.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to their ad on TV, Valtrex is supposed to stop blisters in that area... ;)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
According to their ad on TV, Valtrex is supposed to stop blisters in that area... ;)

Didn't see that one coming! lol!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the second day of the rest of your life if you started keeping track yesterday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately for ST, we need more information.

Chaffing, saddles sores and blisters are all completely different.

My "guess" is that you have a saddle sore, which is pretty much like a blood blister meets pimple. Just bite a bullet, squeeze it as HARD as you can and watch the blood squirt across the room while you scream like it's your first horror movie. Repeat a few times, put some zit medicine on it and go to bed. It will need another squeeze in the morning and then you'll be fine.

Longer term...figure out the root of the problem (high seat, bad shorts, use of cream/ASSOS/etc, bad form, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a saddle sore...clean it with rubbing alcohol every morning and night and use Neosporin during the day. It should clear up in a couple of days. I've been doing this after every ride for the last 6 months or so and have greatly minimized the number of saddle sores I'm getting.
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Unfortunately for ST, we need more information.

Chaffing, saddles sores and blisters are all completely different.

My "guess" is that you have a saddle sore, which is pretty much like a blood blister meets pimple. Just bite a bullet, squeeze it as HARD as you can and watch the blood squirt across the room while you scream like it's your first horror movie. Repeat a few times, put some zit medicine on it and go to bed. It will need another squeeze in the morning and then you'll be fine.

Longer term...figure out the root of the problem (high seat, bad shorts, use of cream/ASSOS/etc, bad form, etc)
I'm going to agree with Diesel here. I had this problem training for IMC last year. I would squeeze the shit out of the saddle sores and blood would indeed squirt out. The pain was enough to make me break out in a cold sweat, but after they popped, sweet relief! Now, I'm on an Adamo Typhoon and no more saddle sores. Good luck!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as treating the sore? Make sure the area is well shaved first and clean thoroughly throughout the day with an anti-bacterial wipe, I've found that opening the sore tends to cause more problems down the road, up to you I guess. I also use gold bond medicated body lotion down there throughout the day and post/pre ride.

For now just make sure your cycling shorts are clean, chammy butter is used (assos is best), change out of your shorts as soon as your finished riding into some loose fitting clothing. Also check your saddle. I found that when I used my team issue San Marco saddle the "walls" we creating a bit of discomfort so I wrapped the sides with electric tape to create a smooth wall and eliminate and friction. I do the same to any new saddles I use.

Other than that just focus on prevention and ride your way out of discomfort, sores will dissapear quickly as long as your are attentive to them.

-G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the half! Maybe just ride inside and do out of the saddle. I tend to use nuskin for open lanced boils when I still have to be moving, then remember to AIR out all night (cool fan blowing on it - or whatever), and NO POOL until it heals.

Then there is well waxing.

um, I just finally wrote up about brazilian wax experience which is the one thing that has always helped prevent problems from the friction. I think you might still have enough time to lance, clean, dress, heal and wax before IMC. If waxing is out - one word: lube, and lots of it. Diaper rash ointment (I use the creamy kind) will help significantly while you heal. I will not do a ride over 2 hrs without either vasoline, or diaper rash ointment, just a given.
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice!!! I never saw that coming!
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, yeah, Eileen gets the badass award and probably knows more about suffering in the saddle than others on this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen - no badass award, sore ass might be appropriate - that bit--oh, lovely lady :-)

I just hope cannon figures it out, suffering and frustrating over something as sensitive as 'that area' shouldn't be on his mind this close to IMC. Hope he works it out - he's got plenty of time. Not too sure I would start messing around with seat height this close - looking into hygiene and treating the area sounds in order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
second the diaper ointment. Desitin works wonders for chaffing. Keau
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no pool? I've found that nothing helps them MORE than a long session in the pool (Edit- but NOT open water!). Oh, and my new secret weapon against them is Preparation H (My cycling buddy said the tip was in a cycling magazine about 10 years ago)

Jodi
Last edited by: Jodi: Jul 9, 08 2:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Go to the gym and get on the recumbent bike until you are able to go.
Use bagbalm before every ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont Squeeze - it'll hurt too much!

I'd go to a local clinic, and sweet talk a nurse into giving you a sterile needle (you can always pretend that you're a junkie if need be!) lance it, antiseptic cream, plaster, give it a day or 2 than get back on the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Quote | Reply
you just have to work your way thru it. for those who don't want these to begin with: chamois cream. as you may know, we just conducted a poll on this.

How often do you use chamois creme?

Always 70 / 20 %
Never
94 / 27 %
Only on long or hard rides
94 / 27 %
For everything except short rides
68 / 19 %
Randomly 28 / 8 %

the right answer: always. 20% of you got the right answer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 9, 08 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need a picture or all we can say is you might die from this ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the responses and info. I've heard of this chamois cream but never used it, I think I will from now on. Tried to sit on my bike again on the trainer this morning and it feels a bit better but not good enough to ride for more than 5 minutes. I even tried having a really hot shower so when that didn't remedy the situation I knew that I had a big problem! ;) Don't have to pop the thing, it's more of a road rash kind of deal right now. Thinking back to when this started, my bike shorts were kind of stuck to me when I finished my ride (ewwwww!) so I guess it popped/ripped open then. I've been applying polysporin quite liberally since yesterdays bad experience and believe it or not Mrs. CB even said "Maybe you need some new bike shorts, you've been spending a lot of time in those old ones?" So maybe this blister has a silver lining?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Are you serious? I am in this boat currently and looking at my "sore" thinking...hmmm where did I leave that sewing needle (TMI - I know!).

Won't cream work...maybe just take a little longer to heal?

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an "A" on the poll! I used to use it only for long rides, then I got a good saddle sore and decided that there was no freakin' shortage of chamois butt'r in this world, what was I saving it for? No sores since then.

I did have a RAAM guy give me a sample of Lantiseptic cream, and it works really well, plus it it waterproof so I'm thinking it is a good race option. The only problem is that I'm having a hard time finding it for sale anywhere. Anyone else use it? Where do you get it?
Quote Reply
Re: I've got uhhhh...a bit of a problem [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, a needle doesn't cut it as you're guessing where the sweet spot might be. If you squeeze, it simply finds the path of least resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

This is actually the very reason why I ride a bike. I live for a good saddle sore!
Quote Reply

Prev Next