Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Got my Quarq Cinqo installed (with pics)!
Quote | Reply
It was very easy to install seems to work well with the Garmin 705 and the data is similar to what I would see on my CT. It's great to be able to see what is going on for my power while riding outside!

Thanks Jim and Mieke and all the folks at Quarq, the unit seems to have been worth the wait!

Ken

Just for the record I don't work for Quarq. I'm a private guy who "expressed interest" on the quarq website a while ago and bothered Mieke every other week to get on the "delivered first" list.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Last edited by: redtdi: Jul 3, 08 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed! [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need a full review
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah! Full review! And pictures!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed! [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, why isnt there a review yet?!?!?!?!?! lol

USA Cycling Cat. 2 Coach!! Yahoo
... ... ... ... ...
http://www.raysracingadventures.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed! [garageman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about you ask me questions? So far it gives me power numbers similar to my Computrainer. It works well with the Garmin 705, perhaps a 1s lag from what power is going out versus what is shown on the screen, but I didn't mind because when I was climbing the hills in the intervals I was doing I didn't really have time to look down. The data looks really nice in training peaks. The install is easy, except my previous FSA cranks had "seized" onto the shaft of my cranks so I pulled out bearings when taking the crank arm off but that was easily fixed.

Zeroing was very easy (rotate cranks backwards 3-4 times). The manual calibrate gave me a value of -16 which was within the +/-300 the book says I should get. I originally put the magnet in for the cadence in the wrong spot so I called Jim of Quarq and in 2 seconds I was good to go. It's really nice to ditch the garmin cadence sensor and speed sensor! Jim assured me that swaping the cranks from one bike to another isn't a problem and that all I should get is a torque wrench.

I could care less about the crank choices because I like FSA.

Ken

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Last edited by: redtdi: Jul 3, 08 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just need a compact version offered.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are these being released to the public?
Is it heavy? Wireless? Any drop outs?
How much?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed! [ancientdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's offered to the public now.

http://www.quarq.us/...60-CinQo-Scaled.html

I didn't notice any dropouts while riding and from looking at the data in WKO+ it looks like it should.

Ken

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would wait a year, there must be bugs to sort out. I like the idea though.

Limits the crank set options a lot, cuts out shimano and campag. It is an expensive uprgrade when it sends your record or durace crank to the spare parts bin.

It's good to have another player in the power meter market
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed (with pics)! [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be more of a 705-related question, but what power-related data fields can you display? The Garmin website says almost nothing about this aspect of their product.
Last edited by: chrisesposito: Jul 3, 08 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed (with pics)! [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I have directly from my 2.20 version of the 705 firmware. I'm hoping they add more fields over time, TSS, IF would be cool.

Power
Power - Avg
Power - Kilojoules
Power - Lap
Power - Max
Power Zone
Power - Last Lap Max

If they added Power Average Last Lap that would be nice.

Ken

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price is on the Website, but 1500 for the cinqo + new crank and another 1000 for the Qranium... So Total 2.5K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is what I have directly from my 2.20 version of the 705 firmware. I'm hoping they add more fields over time, TSS, IF would be cool.

Power
Power - Avg
Power - Kilojoules
Power - Lap
Power - Max
Power Zone
Power - Last Lap Max

If they added Power Average Last Lap that would be nice.

Ken
Thanks. Except for 'Power Zone', these fields look like the same data fields a powertap head unit would show you. I suppose that's fair enough for a start. I think I'll wait until the Quranium has been out for a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the price is $1500 including the crank and if you go with a 705 it's $2K, which is a lot but it's competitive. I think the Cranium will be very cool once it's out, the open source will be neat when people really exploit it.

Ken

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question for you --

Did the latest version of the 705 firmware fix the issue with average power displayed on the unit not including the zero values? Basically, average power would show higher than it really was due to it not counting any time you coasted in the average power calculation. Is the average power you see on the unit the same as what WKO+ computes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the great things about Quarq using the ANT+ sport protocol is the potential it opens for
second parties to produce a variety of computer receivers at competitive prices.
We see this already with the Ibike and Garmin 705. Now that the Cinqo is shipping we
are likely to quickly see others quickly enter the market.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed (with pics)! [I Wear a Speedo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it's still doing non-zero averaging. WKO+ shows a lower number.

Ken

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty annoying. I also really hope Garmin's talking to the Training Peaks folks in order to get Pnorm and IF on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed (with pics)! [I Wear a Speedo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read about this "problem", but don't really understand what the problem with the way data is displayed is. So long as Garmin give people a choice things should be fine. This is one of the reasons why the Cranium is going to be so good because people will develope custom apps that will blow peoples minds.

Ken

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think the price is $1500 including the crank and if you go with a 705 it's $2K, which is a lot but it's competitive. I think the Cranium will be very cool once it's out, the open source will be neat when people really exploit it.

Ken

You think $2K is a lot? Well, certainly that is a lot of money but ... <cough> ... um ... <choke> ... I just received my Dura-Ace wireless SRM and PC VI today and it cost me nearly twice that ...

I would like hear more about the Quarq. I think it is great to have another option in powermeters. Congrats on your new training tool! It sure looks sweet! Also, I agree, the Cranium looks awesome.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

From some data collected by Jim Meyer of Quarq in February. Black line is PT, red line is Cinqo. X-axis is distance (in km). Cinqo appears to show good overall fit to the PT, though with a few spikes in power and speed (for example, in these data Cinqo showed a couple of anomalous records in excess of 2700 watts). The PT's cadence appears to be hub-based.

Last edited by: RChung: Jul 3, 08 21:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More pix..how did you mount your sensor?
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed (with pics)! [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

From some data collected by Jim Meyer of Quarq in February. Black line is PT, red line is Cinqo. X-axis is distance (in km). Cinqo appears to show good overall fit to the PT, though with a few spikes in power and speed (for example, in these data Cinqo showed a couple of anomalous records in excess of 2700 watts). The PT's cadence appears to be hub-based.

Looks a little out of phase as the ride progresses but tracks nicely! Do they handle stops/drops differently?

_________________________________________________________________________________
Training Plans -- Power Meter Hire -- SRM Sales Australia -- cyclecoach.com -- My Blog -- Sydney Turbo Studio
Quote Reply
Re: Got my Quarq Cinqo installed (with pics)! [Alex Simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Looks a little out of phase as the ride progresses but tracks nicely! Do they handle stops/drops differently?

Can't tell with these data. Jim provided WKO+ files but WKO+ doesn't have an export format designed specifically for the Cinqo so I can't tell if the phase problem is in the hardware or in the software. I like it better when I can analyze files in the device's "native" format but in this case the Cinqo was talking to a Garmin 705.

Tracking "nicely" is essential but maybe insufficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just about to pull the trigger on a PT....guess I'll wait 1 year...but that is it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next