Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Accelerade v. Endurox R4
Quote | Reply
Looking to move from jsut Gatorade to something sport specifi. Does anyone have any insight on accelerade v. endurox? Is there another mix out there that has worked well for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [GIJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're using it as a during training drink and currenlty use gatorade skip the endurox (mainly a recovery or long long workout drink). Accelerade is more of a rehydration low percentage carbohydrate drink, more similar to gatorade. I personally have had good success with Cytomax (as has pretty much everyone at one time or another) but am currently using Hammer Nutrition's HEED (High Electrolyte Energy Drink) which is similar to cyto/gator/accel but has no simple sugars and has a very light taste. Takes a bit to get used too but I love it. Just got two canisters yesterday. Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem for those 2hr + rides.

Best bet, find a friend and bum a bottle worth of whatever drink you want to try. Make sure you like it before you buy it. Cyto comes in sample 1 bottle sizes and HEED comes in a 4 serving bottle for around $5 if you want to try those out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure accelerade is for drinking during excersize, endorox is a recovery drink for after the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are meant to work together. I almost always have a bottle of Accelerade on my bike, sometimes both bottles. I don't use it as much to run, but sometimes. Endurox is post-workout, and I love the stuff. My recovery has been a lot better since i started using it, and I almost never feel second day soreness unless I do a really tough workout and forget to have some.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Endurox diluted is just about the same as Accelerade. They'll claim to have a bit of extra this and that in there, but essentially it's just 4:1 carbohdrate to protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you read this: http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../nutri/gatorade.html

Here ar the key ingredients in some drinks:

Gatorade: sucrose, glucose, fructose

Accelerade: sucrose, whey protein

Endurox: glucose, whey protein (recovery only)

Hammer HEED: maltodextrin

Hammer Perpetuem: maltodextrin, soy protein (Sustained Energy is similar)

Cytomax - maltodextrin

You'll probably get a lot of different opinions on what has worked for people. Personally I'd avoid the protein-containing drinks as there's not a lot of evidence they will increase performance and add cost and usually some not-so-tasty taste.

[edit: I mean avoid the protein drinks during workouts, not for recovery.]

Last edited by: jhc: Aug 25, 04 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, like others have mentioned, accelerade is intended for during exersize, endurox intended for recovery after. I have success with both and use both regularly but also, I have not tried anything else besides gatorade.
Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [Tom Fort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're very similar. Endurox uses pure glucose which is utilized a little faster than sucrose, plus some viatmins but yeah, basically the same concept.

" I think Endurox diluted is just about the same as Accelerade. "

They're close, although Endurox diluted tastes like crap. For 12oz of drink, here's the breakdown.

Endurox: 270Cal, 52g Carbs, 13g Protein, 210mg Sodium, and 120mg Potassium

Accelerade: 120Cal, 21g Carbs, 5g Protein, 190mg sodium, 65mg Potassium

So Accelerade has a higher % of Sodium and Potassium as you would expect a sports drink would.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's more to it than simply the numbers. (Sorry to harp) We did the a while ago, and while the numbers are similar, the ingredients in Accelerade are designed for quick absorption/digestion, while the ingredients in Endurox are more complex. Practically speaking, this means that if you use Endurox during a hard workout or race, you'll suffer bloating, or maybe hurl. Accelerade doesn't have this problem.

A nutritional analysis makes it appear that 2 scoops Accelerade ~= 1 scoop Endurox, but the carbs in Accelerade are much more easily digested than those in Endurox.

Different things work for different folks, and some folks are less tolerant of protein than others. As a guy who has used the Accelerade/Endurox combo, along with other things, for a few years now, I assure you that Accelerade is best during workouts, and Endurox should be used only afterwards.

No, I don't work for the R4 people. If you see them, I'd like to have a word with them about their gels and constantly changing flavors/consistencies.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you drink either one during, or soon after, heavy exercise, take some Beano or Simethicone with it. -- Or you and any companions will regret it...

--j
Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I agree there's more to it. I was just pointing out the additional electrolytes in accelerade to aid with hydration. I like and use both products regularly. Endurox also has a bunch of vitamins and calcium to aid in recovery.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good question...I've been experimenting with Hammer gel (diluted), gatorade, Gu20, Accelerade. I've been hearing from people that use the Accelerade say that it makes them feel less sore after, although I only tend to get sore post long-runs. I'm looking more for something to help me during....also thinking in terms of gel packs. Love the taste of Carb-boom apple cinnamon and hammer gel raspberry, but again, not sure if they are as beneficial as my favorite--m & m's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Revenge......it's the best sh** out there.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Accelerade v. Endurox R4 [turtlegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CarbBoom is awesome. I use that, and Hammer Gel. Pretty much whichever one I can find. CarbBoom is easier to digest, I think. Accelerade is specifically designed to help you during your long workouts, if you like it. I always use it on the bike, but it gets less tasty on the run as it gets warm. The biggest factor is to find something that you will actually drink. It doesn't do you anygood to find the best combination of nutrients if it's going to stay in the bottle, so as long as you find one of the good drinks that you like, I would stick with that.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As it was so eloquently put by Morresy, I can attest to the HURL factor of doing a long workout using endurox. On race day I ran out of Accelerade and filled two camelbacks with Endurox at about 75% solution. About hour 5 into the race (8 hour adventure race) I parted with my stomach contents while mountain biking in the hot sun. What fun! I'm now using a medical grade electrolye drink called Endura for training and the recovery drink I'm now using is by the same company (Metagenics) called Pro-gain. Super delicious chocolate flavored recovery drink, I highly reccomend it. I have seen dramatic improvement in my recovery since switching about 4 months ago.

Cheers, Karma

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply