Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!!
Quote | Reply
    OK, my coach (Joel Filliol or czone) just posted so I better get this done. The approach to this race was very different than previous IM's. My biggest weeks were around 25hrs consisting of 2 very hard swims...as much as possible under 1:10pace per 100m short course. 2 very hard bikes with as much as possible way above IM pace. 2 very hard runs, again way above IM pace. The rest was just fluff. There were a couple bigger ride and run days getting closer to the race. Longest ride was 4 hours, longest run was 2 hours. As for the specifics you will all have to wait until Joel goes into private coaching again (if ever) and pay him the big $$$ to get the perfect program for you :) This approach was also a must for me due to work commitments. Even finding 25 hrs per week is getting difficult. Thanks again Joel for the great program.

As for the race itself I have never been so patient in an IM. I waited until the 10km run marker to start racing hard. This allowed my stomach to be the best it has ever been in an IM race. I took in at least 6 more gels than usual in the last 30km of the run and they were all sitting well. I was taking these with water. The bike (riding my ultra-comfortable Ordu) was a steady effort on the flats, very easy climbs and I let the watts drop to almost nothing on the downhills. I also let the power drop way down with the strong tail winds. I don't see the point in doing extra work to go a few km/h faster on the fast parts when I can have a rest instead....it's a long race.

I figure CDA is about 10min slower than IMC so I'm counting my 8:34 as best time. I pissed away 2-3 min in the last few miles but nobody really cares about times. I enjoyed the finish.

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me be the 1st to reply here and congratulate you - big time!

Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!!

Tom,

Who's your bike sponsor again? :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or be a ... what?

Great race Dr. Tommy. I guess you showed them trashy triathletes a thing or two.

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how fast you went or what place you came in, but you should have pushed on those downhills, that's what all the powergeeks say you should do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWESOME. I was talking with Jordan on Sunday about your race and we are continually amazed at how your run times just seem to be getting faster and faster! Now that I think about it, Jordan's running has gotten faster as well. Hmmmm....

I also love how you rode "so easy" and yet managed to put a HUGE gap on the rest of the field. If only I could "rest" at that kind of wattage... :p

Let's see here:

Crush the field in the swim
DOMINATE on the bike
Then only start to race hard after 10km on the run...

ouch - I'm glad I'm not a pro who has to race against you!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks for posting. Lots of interesting tidbits there, especially "Longest ride was 4 hours, longest run was 2 hours." Makes me wonder why I'm doing 6 hr rides and 3 hr runs for a solid MOP finish.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me a bit of Peter Sandvang's approach....maybe the other Danes are using the same approach...Lots of race pace and above race pace stuff. No ride longer than 4h. Once a week a 2-3hrs ride really fast. Same deal on the run. Overall, not much volume, but a lot of IM pace and above.
Quote Reply
Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [jtntexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but you should have pushed on those downhills, that's what all the powergeeks say you should do...

Which powergeeks would those be? I'm not aware of any "power geek" who would recommend pushing on the downhills. I'm sure there's one or two somewhere though.

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched you rip past me on the bike course and you were looking for the others chasing you. I was amazed at how far back they were, you crushed it!!

It was exciting watching you race.

(I shared the house with the Calgary kids, Luke and Rose. I ride a Diva.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK, my coach (Joel Filliol or czone) just posted so I better get this done. The approach to this race was very different than previous IM's. My biggest weeks were around 25hrs consisting of 2 very hard swims...as much as possible under 1:10pace per 100m short course. 2 very hard bikes with as much as possible way above IM pace. 2 very hard runs, again way above IM pace. The rest was just fluff.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Hmm, your training sounds a lot like someone else's Ironman training that I know. :) Yes, we'll just keep the secrets of Coach Joel between us.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race Tom!

Did you change your mind about October?
Quote Reply
Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Makes me wonder why I'm doing 6 hr rides and 3 hr runs for a solid MOP finish"

No disrespect intended to you, but in my case a 6 hour training ride probably covers about the same distance as Dr. Tommy's 4 hours "above race pace". I'm sure if I could take it easy and knock off a 4:45 IM bike split I could eliminate the 6 hour rides too.

Nice work Dr. Tommy!!
Quote Reply
Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [S McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Post #7

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

"Basically no different than IM:

- For long downhills I wouldn't coast <35mph. I'd keep power steady but probably more like 60 - 75% of FTP depending on speed."

I would submit that achieving 75% of FTP is pushing it...
In Reply To:
Quote:
but you should have pushed on those downhills, that's what all the powergeeks say you should do...

Which powergeeks would those be? I'm not aware of any "power geek" who would recommend pushing on the downhills. I'm sure there's one or two somewhere though.
Quote Reply
Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [jtntexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, since the range was 60-75%, I'm not sure "pushing it" is what was being advocated. I think most "reasonable" people will agree that best pacing constitutes going harder on the up than on the down. As was stated somewhere in that thread (sorry, don't feel like weeding through it again), the question is, how much harder? (as a side note though, there are still LOTS of people who will actually *push* it, meaning going harder on the down than the up, because they "feel" faster).

I guess my interpretation from the recommendation you cite would be that the average of those values would lie below 70%, and, depending on your FTP, that may or may not be "pushing it".

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Dr. Tommy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should read more closely. That was not a triathlon thread, that was a thread regarding cycling only (it's in the title), that's why the advice is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Drtommy CDA race report.....ORBEA, ORBEA, ORBEA!!! [S McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You asked, I answered. I guess we could disagree on my undefined choice of "pushing it"; however, coasting/soft pedaling is far different than putting out 70 or 75% of one's FTP on a descent. That was the position explicitly advocated, and that was not the race that Dr. Tommy ran.
In Reply To:
Well, since the range was 60-75%, I'm not sure "pushing it" is what was being advocated. I think most "reasonable" people will agree that best pacing constitutes going harder on the up than on the down. As was stated somewhere in that thread (sorry, don't feel like weeding through it again), the question is, how much harder? (as a side note though, there are still LOTS of people who will actually *push* it, meaning going harder on the down than the up, because they "feel" faster).

I guess my interpretation from the recommendation you cite would be that the average of those values would lie below 70%, and, depending on your FTP, that may or may not be "pushing it".

But I really don't want to bugger up this thread. I wrote tongue in cheek mainly because of the dude that was lecturing Dr. Tommy on swimming without knowing that he is an IM champ. His victory and amazing ability to balance work/family first and still come out on top should be the focus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!! That's awesome!
May I ask how many hours you work on average per week and if you take time off to train extra during race season?
I'm curious since my plans for life in the coming years is to become like you, only I will work as a psychologist instead of dentist :)

Johan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow Great job!! Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply amazing!

Thanks for giving me a very fun Sunday! It was great to watch you come through that chute.

:-)

Jodi

PS. A big congrats to Coach Joel as well. He has had one HELL of a year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pissed away 2-3 min in the last few miles but nobody really cares about times. I enjoyed the finish.

It's great that you had a chance to enjoy the moment--that's not pissing anything away.

Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike (riding my ultra-comfortable Ordu) was a steady effort on the flats, very easy climbs and I let the watts drop to almost nothing on the downhills.

Could you share what your VI was?

Quote Reply

Prev Next