Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smoothies
Quote | Reply
Lately I have developed a jamba juice addiction but there isn't one that's convenient out in the suburbs. I am attempting to make my own but not having much success. What's the trick? Fresh fruit or frozen fruit? Yogurt or frozen yogurt? Add juice as well as fruit? Add ice? I just attempted to make one with juice, yogurt, fresh bananas and frozen berries. The frozen berries won't blend in the blender. Help.
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothies [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use bananas, soy milk (or water), frozen berries, and Vega. If your blender doesn't work on frozen fruit, try more fresh. I find that the frozen makes it colder (duh), and it's easy to keep bags of frozen strawberries, mixed berries, melons (I get them at Costco) in the freezer for use.... nothing better than a smoothie after a hot workout!

Answers to your questions:
Fresh or frozen
Never tried yogurt
You can use juice as your liquid base if you have it
Add ice if you want that cold, smoothie taste... but you need a good blender

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the key is to get a good blender (I think Vitamixer brand is what Jamba Juice uses) and it will mix up the frozen berries. They are a little pricy, but well worth it!

Jamba uses only fresh fruit (at least that's what I've seen) and juice and ice. When I make my smoothies at home I use frozen fruit (strawberries, papaya chunks, peaches) with milk and it works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a blender that came with a "blending cup" (check it out here) - you put all the contents in the cup, blend in the cup and then there's a lid and straw for it so you can drink directly from it rather than having to blend it in the jug and transferring it to another cup. Here's what I make (though I've been too lazy to make it lately :S):

- As many frozen whole strawberries as will fit in the cup (I think it works out to about a cup and a half)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 scoop protein powder
(I used to do strawberries and bananas, but I lost my taste for bananas a while ago)

If your blender won't chop the berries then you definitely need a new blender. Mine was about $60CAD and I got the cup for free as a promo item. Best promo item EVER!

Quote | Reply
I second the frozen berries, but with my crappy blender you have to be careful of how you combine the frozen berries and the liquid (in our case, yogurt) because they'll all fuse together into a big frozen mess. My husband adds the yogurt and then the berries, but I tend to put the berries in by themselves and grind them up a bit before adding the rest of the ingredients. It's definitely one of those trial and error things. I keep waiting for the 25 dollar blender that I've had for going on 18 years (dear lord, I'm getting old!) to break so I can justify buying a new one, but no luck so far!

Our smoothie recipes are really basic - frozen fruit from Trader Joes (or any brand that is just fruit without any other sugar or "stuff" in it) a little plain/vanilla yogurt and maybe a banana if I have one handy. If the Pacific Northwest ever stays consistently sunny, I'll start making them again. I can't say they're Jamba Juice good (those things are awesome) but they'll do.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a different kind of smoothie (popular in some countries) you can also try the following

- vanilla ice-cream
- 100% pineapple juice
- a few ice cubes

you need a good blender for this, the ice cubes give a frothier mix and the end result is so yummy in the summer when it's hot out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought an Oster blender for making smoothies. It cuts up the frozen fruit no problem. I use frozen fruit, a fresh banana, a little milk, egg whites for protein, and sometimes 1/4 teaspoon of coacoa powder.
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothies [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help. I just triend round 2 of making a smoothy (round 1 went okay after I gave the berries a little time to thaw) and I mixed the berries first (and didn't include peaches this time which the blender didn't seem to like) and then added the yogurt and this seemed to work out a little better. I'm also going to try milk and soy milk in the future instead of yogurt. I'm so excited about all the smoothies I'm going to be eating!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a fruit smoothie each morning for breakfast. I love them. I use 4-6 ice cubes, 1 banana (fresh or frozen), 2 tbsp oat bran, 2 tbsp ground flax seed, 1 1/2 cups frozen fruit and 1 cup V-8 Fusion. I buy frozen berries at Sam's and I'll buy a whole pineapple and cut it up and freeze it myself. I like the three berry mix (blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries). For a little change up, I'll use 1 scoop protein powder, a yogurt smoothie, pineapple, coconut and pecans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QRGirl pipe in on this one...you make wicked yummy smoothies. :)

Quote | Reply
Kearn's juice (mango, strawberry banana...)
Breyers no sugar low carb ice cream vanilla ice cream
scoop of protein powder
honey
banana
frozen strawberries
yogurt

And you definitely need a good blender.
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothies [wolffpack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to mix it up, no pun intended. I always use frozen fruit as I think ice makes it too slushie. The classic is frozen banana, strawberries and OJ. Sometimes I'll throw in protein powder, yogurt or tofu if I want extra protein. I've been using a lot of berries lately and did a mango, blueberry, banana combo that was really good. I've started using frozen juice concentrate instead of liquid juice, it keeps longer. I just put in a big scoop of concentrate and add water. Cranberry concentrate has a nice kick to it. I've also used POM juice which is yummy too. The combinations are endless!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothies [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
for a different kind of smoothie (popular in some countries) you can also try the following

- vanilla ice-cream
- 100% pineapple juice
- a few ice cubes

you need a good blender for this, the ice cubes give a frothier mix and the end result is so yummy in the summer when it's hot out...

You forgot the Malibu...

I used to have a buddy (K-9 unit cop) who'd walk up to the bartender and order "a glass with Malibu, pineapple juice and cream - for my wife. And uhhh - gimme a beer" then he'd walk back and say "Hey man, want a beer?" :p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothies [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my smoothie recipe:
unsweetened cranberry juice
frozen raspberries
frozen mangoes
frozen strawberries
protein powder
water if extra liquid is needed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do one that is pretty basic some mornings, but I have come to craaaave it!

I use 8oz OJ, 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, and a whole banana. That's it. I guess it turns out to be more of a juice in the morning that I'd drink in addition to having some cereal or a bagel or something else with a little protein. But it is very yummy!

i have found that i like the way juice tastes in a smoothie as opposed to milk, but then you are missing out on the obvious nutrients in the milk. I'll add protein powder to the above from time to time too, but I still like it best in its simple form!

Re: Smoothies [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a very simple smoothie recipe.

1 cup vanilla low fat yogurt
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/3 (approx) no fat milk
2 tablespoons wheat germ

Just blend it up...

I use blueberries because I picked a lot and had to freeze them, I'm sure you could use other fruit or fruit combinations.

Vestri sessio est quoque altus!
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothies [trisyzyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is really no limit to what you can put in a smoothie, You can basically addres whatever nutritional concerns you have,then hide the flavor under some other ingredients. The really limiting factor is the machine. I have a Vitamix and I cant recommend it enough. I was not sold on the whole vitamix mythology but then we ended up with one and I cant remember how we got along without. You can crush concrete in the thing, its insane. You have to actually be careful not to OVER grind things, if youre looking for some texture or whatever.

I use almonds and whatnot for protein, I have added multigrain cereal when Im in a hurry, though,, of course Im sure at least some of you know that berries can cause you gastro distress if you havent tested themout.

In any case, I second the smoothie, and the vitamix.

EDIT: I just realized this was the womens forums, sorry. I found the thread in the search.

Excuse me for jumping right into your forum...
Last edited by: mellowdave: Jun 21, 08 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothies [mellowdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love a simple smoothie post workout. I use frozen fruit also kept in baggies in the fridge.
nonfat milk
blueberries
mango
a little honey
protein powder

When I start to burn out on the above I'll changeup the mango with strawberries and sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lately I have developed a jamba juice addiction but there isn't one that's convenient out in the suburbs. I am attempting to make my own but not having much success. What's the trick? Fresh fruit or frozen fruit? Yogurt or frozen yogurt? Add juice as well as fruit? Add ice? I just attempted to make one with juice, yogurt, fresh bananas and frozen berries. The frozen berries won't blend in the blender. Help.

I think the real trick is the fluid ratio. If you don't have enough the stuff won't blend. Too much and your smoothie is runny. If I end up too runny that is the ONLY time I add ice. Otherwise the frozen fruit adds enough substance on its own.

If you get the fluid right and your frozen berries still won't blend it sounds like you need a better blender. Really. I had one blender that wouldn't blend ice AT ALL. I got a new one and it has no problem. You also need to let it go for AWHILE. Smoothie places don't seem to blend all that long but they have super high powered blenders. Your kitchen blender needs to go for awhile to get all the blending done.

I like to use juice, frozen fruit/banana/berry, and Hammer whey (OMG, that stuff is SO yummy and fluffy!!!!!). My current favorite combo is Dole orange/mango/peach juice, banana, mango, peaches, a smidge of berries, and vanilla whey. YUMMY. :)

I discovered that my smoothies come out MUCH better if I use frozen bananas. I'll still use fresh now and then, but as my fresh ones start to turn I freeze them and I find that I like the way the smoothies come out when I use the frozen bananas.
Quote Reply