Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

black toenails and sandals for work
Quote | Reply
what do you do about wearing open toed shoes to work with ugly toenails? it is summer, and the dress code allows open toed shoes. I dont really want to paint my toenails because there are a few I need to keep a close eye on. i usually wear running shoes "around" so I am not used to worrying about my toenails. it is also a new job, so I would like to make a good impression.... any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [runningwildb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have black toenails, cover them up. seriously, you risk getting talked about if you have hideous toenails and wear open sandals. there are many people who would not take it kindly, and some consider it as bad as food in the teeth.

there are lots of really great shoes for summer where you do not have to show your toenails. maybe like a mule, for example. or slingbacks.

but go get a pedacure. don't go to work with roughed up heels. again, many people could find this offensive and in poor judgement. especially in the case of a new job and wanting to make a great first impression.
Last edited by: kittycat: Jun 16, 08 14:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't going to paint the toenails, go sockless with some cute backless closed-toe clogs or slides instead. Black toenails are a big Glamour don't.
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Glamour Don't!?!"are you guys serious about this? who cares?
I paint my nails dark purple or black and wear whatever I feel like, well not flip flops. I do think those are totally inappropriate anywhere unless at the beach or pool...but are people really talking about my feet? and should I care?
Last edited by: kbee: Jun 16, 08 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, for clarification. black manicured--as in painted black or eggplant purple--is another thing entirely. and that would depend on the work culture. for a creative environment, go for it. conservative...no way.

black, bruised and beat up toenails, on the other hand, are a mega don't and a possible career killer (unless everyone there is a long distance runner and beat up toenails are like trophies). like i said, might as well go to work with food in the teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own any open toed work sandles for this very reason. My toenails are usually a wreck and if I have to keep an eye on one then it should be out for everyone to see.

It does depend on your work environment too. I personally work in a laid back office culture but some things I just don't feel like sharing and have people comment on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even have a job and I try to keep my toe nails under cover! Three are in the process of falling off from running long distances. They are just connected enough I can't completely pull them off. In the comfort of my own home my neighbor (a man) looked down at my feet and said, "Those are the ugliest troll toes I've ever seen." Now it's a big joke but it still makes me think twice before revealing them. Not even a pedicure could fix these toes. Keep them covered if they resemble troll toes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fake toenails!!!! Totally the way to go! I either get the salon to put an overlay on my toes, or I use the kind you buy at the store. I never wore press-on fingernails, but the toenails work quite well!! I only bother with the big toes, the small ones you can just paint the skin and no one really notices.

The sad reality is that I will never be able to go without opaque toenail polish though. Hot pink is my usual, but I wil do the occasional red. I actually have a light gold on right now that doesn't show the bruising underneath thanks to the fake nails.

See my blog post here: http://kcwoodhead.blogspot.com/...rathon-thoughts.html
Scroll down a bit to the pics of my toes...warning - the first pic is pretty gross!!

Re: black toenails and sandals for work [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the closed toe mule advice is spot on. But the real question is, why are the toes getting beat up in the first place? Rather a question for all - how can this be avoided?
I have only ever lost 1 toenail, and that was due to my frist ironman. I wore running shoes in the race that I didn't do my longest run in (I had run in them plenty though, just not the super long one). During the race I KNEW they were hitting the ends of my shoes. My bike shoes were also worn out. I was noticing my toes again blasting against the ends of the shoes and feeling sore after long rides.
I went and got new bike shoes and new running shoes. I walked into the running store and asked for shoes with the roomiest toe box they had. I got some bike shoes with plenty of toe room.
I guess I just feel like 'beat up toes' shouldn't be happening.
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beat up toenails happen for some people. some people are just prone to it regardless of shoes and regardless of how hard they try to avoid it.

lucky for you this is not a problem you have, but many runners and endurance athletes do lose, or have beat up toenails on as a nearly chronic condition.
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually used to have toenail and toe blister problems a lot until my friend who is an ultra runner told me to start getting regular pedicures. Regular pedicures (every other week) and no more black toenails or toe blisters.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently I have monkey toes!! I curl my toes when I run and for the life of me, I can't stop doing it. So basically I get a blister underneath the nailbed and the nail never re-attaches after the blister pops. I've been in every pair of shoes and orthotics under the sun.

The good news is I noticed that once I started running a bit faster my nails didn't take as much of a beating. It only took 5 years to get there and I still have bad races (IM run for example...reverts back to slower running and more beating up of my poor toes).

I've just accepted that I'm never going to have nice pretty toes again.

Re: black toenails and sandals for work [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes people are talking about your feet. No you *shouldn't* care. But the OP asked and maybe, probably cares.

You gotta get pedi's or wear closed toed shoes. ESPECIALLY for work. No doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [roo roo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow I still find this hard to believe. what else are 'they' talking about!!??? yikes.
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This really does work-I saw those beautiful toes at IMKS 70.3 last Sunday. Since my troll toes are nothing to show off, I have again learned something useful from fellow ST'ers.

Good to see you again teammate!

As to OP, since you are new on the job, putting your injuries on public display in front of people who don't know you may have the effect of them not wanting to know you...as in what else is wrong with the new employee? Keep your "war wounds" to yourself, at least for now.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was great to see you! How was your race?

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: black toenails and sandals for work [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PR'ed the bike leg, swim was o.k. and "the wheels fell off" in the 11 mile run. Something to do with going fast on the bike, I suspect.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply