Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Update on Broken Foot
Quote | Reply
Here I am in week three of slothfulness. I've been able to leave the crutches behind and can put some weight on my foot in an aircast so I am getting around better and can drive. However, I just found out today that it's likely going to be another 5 weeks of aircast or splint!!! The good thing is I'm going to be able to start weaning my foot in another two weeks or so into a stiff shoe with an air splint instead of a whole boot. This depends entirely on being able to get my foot into a shoe without pain which is not happening yet. Once that happens I can also get back on my trainer and get some real exercise.

So I can water run and swim and that will be my salvation. Ironman Coeur d'Alene is only two weeks away and I'm determined to turn this into something positive. Since I broke my foot the day after the cut-off for refunds they won't even answer my phone calls or emails and there are no rollovers. I am going to register for the race to get my bracelet so I can get into the priority registration line for next year, then I'm going to try and swim at least one loop of the course. At least I can practice an Ironman swim start and have the most expensive pasta dinner around.

Who knows what Wisconsin will bring after having done most of my training on a trainer and essentially no running. I'll at least be able to walk the run by then. This is the first time I've been knocked out that badly by injuries so it's been a little frustrating to say the least, but hopefully this too will come to an end.

Back to my glass of wine...I'm not training I can at least enjoy some of the minor vices of life. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Update on Broken Foot [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading your story earlier. I'm sorry it's going to be longer in the air cast. Hang in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
better this year than next!

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugg! That's tough... best of luck with it! As for IMCDA... do what you can, then become the best spectator or volunteer out there ;)

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you're making the best of the situation, especially with respect to the wine!! Hang in there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain -quite literally. Just found out tonight that I have a broken foot too :( I did the swim/bike portion of a sprint two weeks ago and the swim portion of Alcatraz (flew across country for race) last weekend. Will have to bow out of NYC next month and may see if I can switch to the Aquabike at Timberman.
I don't know what to do with myself either so I have picked up a good, healthy wine habit! (drinking now :))

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Update on Broken Foot [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too...a glass of wine has become a nightly staple. I feel for you...it's been no fun at all. Mostly it's been really hard to do anything other than swim or water run. It was just too darned painful. I'm still having some pain but its getting better everyday.

Keep well and keep in touch. Let me know how you're doing. Are you in a cast? I can hardly wait to be rid of mine. Now that I'm in an aircast I don't have to rely on crutches and I swear I have bruises from the crutches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in one of those ski-boot looking things -really lovely in the summer but lucky it's not a hard cast. Will find out tomorrow if I can do aqua jogging in addition to swimming. Biking (at least last week) did not seem to bother me except on standing hills -so hoping I can start back up on that or at least spin on the trainer. Definitely keep me posted on how you are doing...misery loves company ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today I can get my foot into a croc and hobble around the house. What a relief to be out of the boot for a few hours. I can't even consider a bike shoe yet, much less foot on a pedal. The flex of my foot would just kill me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hobbling around in crocs around the house too. Just bought my first pair on Saturday. Thinking I may get a few more pairs to go with outfits - also similar in height off the ground to my boot.
How many more weeks until the docs say your healed?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is week 4 and she says I have 4 more weeks! Once I can tolerate a shoe or bike shoe I can get on the trainer again which will probably be two more weeks (which is okay because I'm going ot Idaho for CDA next week nd as much as it pains me I"m leaving my bike at home). Then after after I get back I can ride on the trainer until I hit the 8 week mark. After that I have a recheck and if all is okay I can start to walk/jog again. that will be my only salvation for IMan Wisconsin -- being able to walk through the run.

What bone did you break? Mine was 5th metatarsel pretty much straight through at the shaft. It did not break all teh way through across the bone, only about 90% which is what is making it so painful because every time I step it flexes. If it had been a clean through it might have been better because then they would have had to pin it instead of just waiting for it to heal. Glad to have it healing and not need surgery.

I have a special air splint to wear with running shoes as soon as I can handle a shoe. I keep trying it everyday to see if I'm ready for a shoe but so far not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh -8 weeks total :( I go back to the docs today to find out how long he thinks the healing will take. I broke my 3rd metatarsal (I believe the fracture happened about 2.5 weeks ago) -will find out today the extent of the breakage, but on the MRI pic I can barely see it.
I did an OW swim workout this AM and tried not to kick. Didn't really have any pain which I guess is a good sign. I can tolerate shoes so hoping I get the OK to bike and/or aqua jog soon.
At least you won't have to pay for bike shipping to CDA:) Hopefully you will be healed and back in great shape for Wisconsin. I signed up for Timberman 70.3-I already asked the race director if I can switch down to the Aquabike division if needed and they said OK.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 3rd isn't in such a weight bearing dependent position. I had a 3rd Met stress fracture on my left foot a couple of years ago...didn't even know I had it for two weeks and you could barley see it in a longitudinal direction to the bone. When we did find it - it looked like a little shadow on the xray. It healed up pretty quickly and I was back in a shoe in a week or two. I had twisted my ankle in a fall pretty badly and they didn't even find it until after the swelling from the ankle went down.

Putting on my coaches hat....you are doing a lot of races this year from your profile ( I went to see if you had a email so we could take this offline). Are you doing too much and stressing your foot out or did you fall or injure it?

Today I can put on a half size larger running shoe! That is going to feel like so much freedom!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there! Just do what you can.
Quote Reply