Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

favorite recipies/need granola recipie
Quote | Reply
Always looking for healthy, fast recipies. Wondering if you all would share one. Also, looking for a great granola recipie. I have tried a few, but haven't found one I really like yet. Love all the ones at Whole Foods, but would like to make my own.

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Re: favorite recipies/need granola recipie [joenjolene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granola

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

6 C Oats
1 C Almonds, Sliced
1`C Cashews, pieces
1/2 C Dried Blueberries
1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1/2 C Flaxseed, ground (if you use whole your body doesn't absorb all the nutrients out of them)
1/2 C Maple Syrup--the real kind. If not, use honey and heat in microwave for 15 seconds to liquify so you can incorporate rest of ingredients).
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 C Coconut Oil or Canola oil (Coconut is better for you and adds great, subtle flavor)
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine Oats, Nuts, Fruit and Flaxseed in Bowl. In another bowl, whisk together Maple Syrup, Salt, Vanilla Extract Coconut Oil, and Cinnamon.

Toss Oat mixture with Maple Syrup mixture.

Divide onto two baking sheets. Place in oven. Cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from oven and mix with spatula. Return sheets to oven for another 10-15 minutes. Cool and store in airtight containers.

Good Luck!

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great, and I make it all the time. I love to eat it in plain whole milk yogurt.

Seven Wives Inn Granola
Seven Wives Inn is a B&B in St. George, Utah. Recipe dates from the 1980’s. I made a few changes to it.

Combine these dry ingredients in large bowl:
8 c oatmeal
1 c brown sugar
1½ c wheat germ
6 oz each: whole cashews, whole almonds, shredded coconut
3 oz sunflower seeds
2 t cinnamon

Heat gently the following, then pour over dry mixture and stir until well-combined:
½ c honey
½ c water
½ c coconut oil
½ c peanut butter
2 t vanilla

Spread on 2-3 large baking sheets and cook at 250° F for 1 hour.
Cool, then add a total of 2–2½ c of dried fruit, choice of following:
raisins
dried cranberries
dried apricots, chopped
dried tart Montmorency cherries
Quote Reply
Re: favorite recipies/need granola recipie [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just made this (and some vegan cookie/energy bars). Yum!!!

Didn't have flax seeds so used some hemp ones instead.

I used the virgin coconut oil which I heated up in the microwave for about 15 seconds to melt it. I wonder if solidified coconut oil would work as the fat in pie crust....?

:) Danielle
Quote Reply
Re: favorite recipies/need granola recipie [pedergraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Danielle-
If it is 75 degrees in VT, the coconut oil should liquify--
Send some energy bars out west!
Hemp seeds are great-
And I would add the dried fruit after cooking the oat mixture--hope it came out okay!

leslie myers
Quote Reply
Re: favorite recipies/need granola recipie [pedergraham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you share the vegan/cookie recipie?

Jolene Wilkinson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is from the cookbook: Vive le Vegan, by Dreena Burton. It has quite a few recipes for baked goods/bars that I use as a substitute for store-bought energy bars.

Energy Cookies
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp barley flour
1/4 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup hemp seed nuts
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup raisons or other chopped dried fruit
3-4 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips or carob chips
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp flax meal
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2tbsp non-dairy milk
1-1.5 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp canola oil

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients except the flax meal, mixing well. In anotehr bowl, combine the flax meal with the maple syrup and milk, and stir through. Add the molasses, vanilla and canola oil and stir through. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir through until well combined. Drop spoonfuls of the batter (about 2 tbsp each) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten a little and bake for 13-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute on sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack. Makes 10-12 cookies. (Recipe is wheat free.)

I should mention that I'm not a vegan, but this year I decided to stop buying sport bars for three reasons. 1. I had to "hide" them from my daughter since they are not good for small children to eat (too many added minerals/vitamins for small kidneys), 2. I was uncomfortable with how much packaging sport bars use, and 3. I looked on the back of a few of the "closer to real food" bars and realized that I could make something like that at home---and share them with the whole family. I especially like recipes like these that are nut-free, since my daughter's school is nut-free.

Hope you like them--and I highly recommend the cookbook!
-Danielle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honey,

I just wanted to say a big thanks. I made your recipe and it is DELICIOUS. I couldn't find dried blueberries so used dried strawberries instead. I might add the fruit after baking next time to preserve as much goodness as possible

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This topic inspired me to do some research. I found a basic granola recipe with 3 variations on Martha Stewart's website (yes, I confess that I sometimes read the site...).
Ingredients
Makes 2 cups.
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 1/4 cups regular rolled oats
  • 1/8 cup flax meal
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar, optional when adding dried fruit
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheet with canola oil (you may also use cooking-oil spray or line baking sheet with nonstick foil). In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flax meal, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well. In a small bowl combine the apple juice, maple syrup, honey, and optional brown sugar. Mix well.
  2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until the mixture is fully combined and moist. Spread the mixture on the greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
  3. Remove from the oven and stir, breaking the large chunks into smaller pieces. Bake for an additional 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool. While still warm, stir to break up any remaining chunks. When completely cool, store the granola in an airtight container.

The variations are on the site. These are reduced calories and reduced fat.
Quote Reply
Re: favorite recipies/need granola recipie [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome-
yes, my bad, fruit after baking is a good idea. Forgot to proof--
Make Danielle's vegan bars if you can, I think she fed them to me over the winter. We always used to do long kick sets together so we could talk about food!

leslie myers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make this for my girlfriend and I every week. Use two pyrex lasanga pans, or 1 pan and 1 cookie sheet.
Preheat oven 350F

Wet Bowl (medium size, mix this)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dry Bowl (large size, mix this)
8 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup seeds (I alternate between pumpkin and sunflower)
3/4 cup raw pistachios
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Add wet to dry, mix it up till uniform, add to pyrex dishes, and bake for 20 min. Then take it out, throw it all into the large bowl to remix, and then back to the pyrex and oven for another 15 minutes. Allow to cool on countertop completely before keeping it in a cookie jar.
We like a cup of this + some frozen blueberries + a cup of yogurt for breakfast every day.

2012 Races: Salem Black Cat 10 miler, Heartbreak Hill 1/2 marathon, Getting Married in August
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. I will try all of these. already tried the first one and it was great.

Jolene Wilkinson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you find your coconut oil? I've been to 3 different g-stores and they don't carry it.
Quote Reply
Re: favorite recipies/need granola recipie [didelbeans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any Wholefoods type store. Or online at www.vitaglo.com. Stuff is yummy, and medium chain diglycerides can actually help you with weight loss--i'm addicted to the stuff.

leslie myers
Quote Reply