Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taking off Wetsuit
Quote | Reply
Hey Everyone:

I haven't posted much since my questions on my new bike purchase over a month ago. Thanks for all your posts. I decided on a Trek, it hasn't come in yet. (next Tuesday) but I am really excited about it.

Now for my question. I'm doing my first Triathlon on June 15th. My question to all of you is....What are the tricks to getting that wetsuit off fast!!!!! I never seem to get out of it very fast always struggling with either the arms or the legs folding in and then me taking for ever to get it off. My tri is only the sprint distance so if I take too long in transition, the race might be over by the time I get out on my bike.

Tri-it.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking off Wetsuit [tri-it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least you could change the wording even slightly so it doesn't look like a re-post from the tri forum :P

I've never used a wetsuit in a sprint, so I dunno.

Quote | Reply
Advice taken

Tri-it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of practice is the key. Take off your swim cap and goggles, hold them in your hand. You should be able to take off the top part while running, and as you pull your hands out, your swim cap and goggles will stay in the sleeve (remember this for when you are wondering where your goggles are later). Then when you get to your bike, push the waist down around your ankles and step out of one leg and then the other. The suit will be inside out when you get it off.

This takes a lot of practice to do it fast and not fall over.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the practice, practice, practice advice. I've found the bottom part to be the hardest part to get down - I step on the wetsuit with one foot and yank my foot out of one side and then switch sides, but I usually have to crouch down and use my hands to free my second foot because I'm not that coordinated. It's definitely not easy to do.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Taking off Wetsuit [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, thats what I've been doing...falling over!! Thanks for the advice. I tend to be a little dizzy after the swim, being a newbie and all. Thanks for the advice.

Tri-it
Quote Reply
Re: Taking off Wetsuit [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I will practice a few more times before next weekend. I do think its harder after I've been swimming in the open-water though. I seem to be able to do it quite well when the wet-suit is dry and I'm not dizzy....

Tri-it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's definitely tougher doing it after an open water swim...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Taking off Wetsuit [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any advice on how not to get dizzy. I guess it would work better if I actually could swim in a straight line!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This technique is built around the assumption that the wetter your wetsuit, the easier it is to get it off. So you try to get out of the wetsuit shortly after you exit the water rather than after you've run all the way to your bike.

First get yourself a nice spray can of PAM (vegetable spray). After you put your wetsuit on, liberally spray your legs from about the knee down and also spray your naked feet. Please don't spray when standing next to your transition spot, as the greasy spray will end up on your gear or someone else's! If you have a long sleeve wetsuit, spray the wrist area as well.

Before the race starts, check out the swim finish area and your run up from the water to your bike. Find the closest tree or lightpost or other immovable object that is just off the side of the run route, and as close to the water as possible.

Swim into shore until your hand hits the bottom of the water, then stand up and start high stepping it the rest of the way in. While you are high stepping, reach up and slide your goggles up on your head, but do not remove either your goggles or cap. Then as you are running, reach behind you to find the wetsuit zipper pull and yank it down.

As you are running toward your favorite tree or lightpost or other immovable object, pull your wetsuit down off your upper body. When you get to your inanimate object, lean against it and peel the rest of the wetsuit off. You sort of step on the wetsuit and pull one leg up, then step with that leg on the wetsuit and pull the other leg up. Grab your wetsuit and run to your transition area, drop your wetsuit and then take off your cap and goggles.

I saw another person suggested putting your cap and goggles inside your wetsuit sleeve, but what happens if you accidentally step on them when trying to get the wetsuit off?

You should definitely practice the wetsuit exit prior to your race. You can even just swim two laps in the pool, then try getting out of your wetsuit.

And of course, after the race, go home and hose off your wetsuit, inside and out, and use a really mild soap if necessary to remove any residual PAM spray.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use the bike rack or something to stablize yourself when you take the bottoms off. You might be getting dizzy from bending over and standing up too quickly. So if you use your feet to step on one side and take the other side off you won't have to bend over as much/long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right before I stand up in the water, I stick my fingers in the collar and pull the neck of the wetsuit out so that it takes in a big gulp of water from the top. When I stand up the water flushes the suit from top to bottom and I swear this makes it easier to get off. If my bike is a long way from the swim exit (as in Seattle Danskin, it's about .25 mile jog...) I'll take my wetsuit off and run with it. I seem to get mine off pretty quickly and have never used Pam.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking off Wetsuit [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water flush trick is the way to go.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Taking off Wetsuit [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great suggestion! I have not tried PAM yet, but the biggest piece of advice I have gotten when I mention PAM is...don't use butter flavor ;-)

Heather Sweet
http://thesweetsadventure.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any advice on how not to get dizzy. I guess it would work better if I actually could swim in a straight line!!!

I used to be dizzy when I got out of the water. I figure it's water in my ears. I started wearing earplugs and that took care of my problem. I like Mack's earplugs the best. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply