Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

War on Sugar Week I
Quote | Reply

We did it! My hubby and I conquered Week I of War on Sugar. Both training for IM Florida this year we decided we had to do SOMETHING about eating all the crap we eat. I've seen some other "Crappy Food Avoidance" threads, and wanted to share how things are going in the battle. We set up the rules as follows:

• No added sugar in foods for 6 days/week.
  • "Sugar Days" on one weekend day each week when we can eat whatever yummy goodness we've been craving (aka ice cream)
  • Race Days and Holidays count as "Sugar Days" within reason/moderation.
  • Training aids (sports drink, Clif Shot Blocks, gel, etc) not included DURING WORKOUTS

Results?

It helped SO much to be going through this together! I work 24 hour shifts at the Fire Department where there is access to ice cream 24/7...so I needed to have him available via text message to give me a swift kick/talk me through making good decisions during stressful days.

I learned that I have a MSG sensitivity!! No kidding, unexpected results. I've cut out caffeine recently too and thought mid-afternoon headaches were part of the caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I would use caffeine and sugary snacks as a little "pick me up" when I would get these headaches and just thought it was a normal part of the day. Now my headaches are VERY pronounced when I eat MSG and completely absent when I don't. Who knew!?

The lunches I send with hubby are getting HUGE! I want him to have plenty of good things to eat so, but seriously, I'm going to have to sending him to work with a Coleman cooler !

I'm having trouble giving up my favorite treat of a little natural peanut butter mixed with honey. Honey doesn't count, does it? ;-)

I'm *learning* to deal with plain yogurt. Icky in and of itself... but if I add blueberries or other fresh fruit... MmmMmm. Hubby still won't touch it...can't really blame him.

Week II Challenges:

I'm off duty this week, so I have more time to veg at home and munch my way through the cabinets. Thinking we might have to rid the cabinets of the addictive white substance very soon....The good news is, I'll have more time to shop and plan menus so we'll have healthy stuff on hand.

Going to look into cutting out any remaining artificial sweeteners.

Still undecided about added sweeteners to Soy milk... What exactly is Cane Juice or whatever they use?

Am I missing anything?

For what it's worth,
Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: War on Sugar Week I [Tri tri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you!!! I have gone through periods of no added sugar and have felt great coming out the other end. I am just weak willed and fall back to the ice cream. ;) When I was 100% Paleo my lunches/snacks/breakfasts were HUGE. I mean I was taking a knapsack to work with me for all the veggies and fruits and what not.
Yeah, the secret to the plain yogurt is to find those fruits like strawberries/mangoes/cantaloupe and put them in the day before and let their juices seep into the yogurt.
It's a tough road you are going down, but the beginning part is the hardest until you can find those foods you enjoy and get creative enough. :) Good luck!
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Congrats!!
Cane Juice is sugar, but a different form.
I think natural pb & honey is all good. It's natural!!!!

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, the secret to the plain yogurt is to find those fruits like strawberries/mangoes/cantaloupe and put them in the day before and let their juices seep into the yogurt.
I had never thought of that... great idea! I generally hate yogurt, but eat it because I know the benefits of having it in my belly. And I must say, Activia has done what it claims to do. lol

Quote | Reply
For yogurt, I do a mix of fresh fruit, and thawed out frozen berries - they have lots of extra juice - and make the yogurt very tastey (then I add some grape nuts for a little texture and crunch).
Quote Reply
Re: War on Sugar Week I [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job TTA!! I'm working on decreasing my sugar intake VERY SLOWLY since it's one of the foods I crave quite a bit. Used to have a handful of Sour Skittles in the mid afternoon, cut that out, and now don't even like the thought of skittles, jelly beans, starburst... etc..

Trying to decrease artificial sweetner too (Splenda is a good friend). In coffee I use one packet of Stevia and one spoon Splenda. I figure it used to be 2 spoons Splenda, so I've cut it in half! hehe

Good luck and keep us posted!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband and I went sugar free about two months ago, and his lunches doubled in size too! It is well worth it though, we feel much better. Good luck.

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up sugar training for IMAZ and after a while you stop craving it. I trained for the race w/o gatorade for the most part only trained the last 3 weeks with it to get used to the sugar.

I stopped craving sugar and ice cream and even my 1 free days turned out to be very good days.

I did the fruit, yogurt, cereal (I used kashi) for the crunch thing too. Was a great breakfast and even sometimes my post workout recovery dinner if it was later in the evening.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am starting the same thing - trying to get rid of all processed sugars.. I think I'm going to follow your lead and involve my husband. Hopefully that will make it easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's score:

Sugar: 1
Me: 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: War on Sugar Week I [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the inspiration! Im declaring war (again) also...

yogurt: I mix plain Tjs or fage with still frozen berries or other fruit so I can take it to work, it keeps the yogurt and my lunch cold and by the time I am ready to eat it the berries/fruit have thawed into a delicious mess. yum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so impressed. I am the worst sugar addict. I am all about the healthy snacks and have all sorts of non-sugary desserts lined up. But after eating my healthier alternative dessert I still find myself digging through the cabinet for the chocolate chips. I can't imagine cutting out sugar for even a day!
Quote Reply