Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ironman coach: needed?
Quote | Reply
Hopefully someone here can help me out.
I am doing IRONMAN FL in November. Do I need a coach?

I have been running marathons now for 4 years and have done a few tris.
I finshed Florida 70.3 a couple of weeks ago on sparse self training. I had a great time, but not a great finishing time.

I have checked out a few books that have training plans and I am wondering if hiring a coach is the best way to go for IRONMAN FL.
I do not need much coach interaction. Just a good plan set up for me..
I have three kids and a career, so my time is valuble.. Like everyone here I am sure.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for online coaches? I checked out Markallenonline and have looked at the book BEIRONFIT..but I am just not sure which way to go..

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman coach: needed? [sprtymama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IMF two years ago using the book Be Iron Fit. I sort of followed the plan (didn't do much of the intensity stuff, just did the hours the plan called for). I thought it was a good plan and if you do the zone 3/4 stuff you should do great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
IMFL 04 was my first Ironman. I used the IMFL specific Multisports.com plan and had a great experience with it. I have kids and a job as well and found it to be easy to adapt to the rotating chaos of my life with manageable training volume. It specifies which workouts are key and which ones are optional. There is a coaches forum where you can ask specific questions about the training if you need some feedback. The plan is based on a couple weeks of build then a recovery week. This worked well for my body, but it worked better for my family life. The recovery week was when I caught up on everything else.

During race week there was a meeting with the Multisports athletes to answer last minute questions, remind us about the dangers of common mistakes (pacing/nutrition), and give last minute advice.

All of this with a wicked sense of humor that you get with Huddle/Frey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on multisports.com. I'm using it right now and love it. Can't add a lot to what's already been said about it, but if you'd like to see what a six week block from them looks like let me know and I can show ya (it's for IMC though) or I think they may even have an example on their website that you can take a look at to get an idea of what they look like.
The Frey/Huddle combo is indeed hilarious. The Q&A section not only will help you greatly with any you might have, but they will make ya laugh along with it all.

Good luck at Florida! :)

Quote | Reply
I got my coach on a total whim and it's turned out to be a very beneficial relationship. I met her on a cycling trip on the island of Guadaloupe. I was from Texas and she was from Boston. She's a middle aged mother like me and understands all my other commitments. Unless she is out of town for a race, she always answers my questions via email within 24 hours. She has coached me through Olympic distance, ultra marathon, and now we are working on half iron distance. She has even met me here in Texas for some of my races. When I was contemplating a hundred mile run, she was the first person who said, "yes, we can do it."
I love she's there to answer my questions and listen to both my high and low points. She gives me far more support and encouragement than I pay her for!! It's been great and I highly recommend the experience of a coach. PM me if you want her website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going into my 4th season with my coach and I love him. I used to see him face to face once a month when he would come to Seattle from Calgary but this year I'm doing it online and through camps. We talk every month on the phone and exchange emails during the week. I'm quite self sufficient and only about twice a season so I need a pep talk but I really take advantage of his expertise in training. He's got a Masters in Kinesology and has been racing for 20 years. Places in top 3 in all his races, including xTerra and goes to the xTerra worlds every year. Won his AG in '06, second in '07. He really knows his stuff. He trains many Ironman athletes. He also trains endurance athletes of all kinds including a few who have done high alititude mountaineering. So far I've done 3 half IMs, 2 IMs (working on my 3rd) 3 marathons and 4 ultramarathons.

I think people can do well on a non personalized schedule but it isn't for me. I love having a sounding board I can trust and that I have a personal relationship with. He helps me deal with any injuries I have. He's also set up my training zones and power based on testing so my training is really targeted. I'm not sure an online packaged deal can do that.

It does sound like you are self sufficient and I am too but for my first Ironman I'm really glad I had a coach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: ironman coach: needed? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think people can do well on a non personalized schedule but it isn't for me. I love having a sounding board I can trust and that I have a personal relationship with. He helps me deal with any injuries I have. He's also set up my training zones and power based on testing so my training is really targeted. I'm not sure an online packaged deal can do that.
I just want to touch on this for the whole online thing...
What we were talking about with multisports.com and the q&a section is like the sounding board. You are welcome to post there as often as you like and for whatever reason. If you have an injury/illness or another race coming up, they will direct you as to how to change the schedule quite specifically. The training zones also get set-up individually - part of the early season training is doing a few AT tests so that they can give you your appropriate training zones.
I couldn't speak for other online programs on that kind of personal approach though. From what I've seen, if you want the "extras" you actually have to pay extra.

Quote | Reply
Wow, I'm impressed then. I always figured they had far too many athletes to do think kind of personalized service. Good on them!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is pretty kick ass. And like Tighty was saying, they do a meeting (in-person at the venue) on race week with all the people following the program to help with any last minute questions or nerves. I think the best part of it is having, arguably, the best coaches in the world cheering you on through your race. :)

Quote | Reply
I like hearing that they have a sense of humor.
I need that in training for something like this..
If I can't laugh, I just might cry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did LP last year as my first IM and used Rich Strauss's training plan. It was amazing because he fully supported it via his message board. Now he and another coach have joined together and formed Endurance Nation. Check them out as another option. Very reasonably priced and they have an amazing message board for support both from a technical perspective and to get motivation from others doing the same plan.

The thing I like most about Rich is that he understands how to get the most out of the time you have to train. His bike rides are all pretty intense (none of that long, slow 5+ hour rides every week). Every ride is focussed on getting you faster. He's got great supporting material and amazing e-book for swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should note that after 3 IM's and 5 HIM's on the the Multisports plan I met a great MS coach at one of their camps and enlisted his help. He has small kids and a busy other job so he also gets my lifestyle too. He has helped me get my run under control and pushed me to a level I would not have gotten on my own. The PR's are great but the best thing is still having someone you trust tell you that you can do something, then seeing it happen.

I've recommended MS to many fellow triathletes and it's worked well for all of them. The race specific plans are less costly than personalized coaching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing IMFL this year too! My first full IM. I've done 11 marathons, self-coached my way through that and 3 half IMs. But, when it came to training for a full IM, I just decided I needed someone to help me through it. I did well on the running side but on the tri side I was getting pretty mediocre results and was too stressed trying to figure out how to fit it all in. I do much better when I have a plan that someone else gives me and I just go out and do it. If I have questions, I ask. I've loved it. I'm excited to see what the results will be this season. My coach is a mom too so she "gets" that side of my life and is great when I have to switch things around. I'm using Texas Iron out of Austin.

FWIW, my husband used Mark Allen Online for his first IM (IMFL 2006) and did great. His buddy used the book BeIronFit and did well too.

I think you just have to look at what fits best for you, your lifestyle, and personality. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman coach: needed? [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nemo

My twin sister works out with Texas Iron too! I am jealous of all the resources you guys get through them.
Her coach is Jen. She used them for IMFL last year and was very happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's my coach! She's the best. I'm in San Antonio though so I don't get to work out with them much (have yet to actually). But, she coaches me and one of my best friends and she's awesome! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you just need a plan I also recommend the book Be Iron Fit.

I used that for my first IM, I had run a marathon before (very slowly!) but never done a tri or cycled apart from fun mountain biking. I followed that plan to the letter and found it time efficient and effective. I was pleased with my finish time and never would have beleived it possible (11:19) even one month out from the event. The next year I borrowed a plan from a friend who has done Kona a few times. It had much higher peak hours per week, and more recovery time. It had an emphasis on lots of hill work rather than heart rate zones. I improved by about an hour but don't think I could have handled that type or volume of training in my first year.

This year I am using Mark Allen Online for maintenance training and am enjoying it The emphasis is on training at what seems like very low heart rates which is a challenge to start with. You can ask as many questions as you like and Mark often answers them personally. Also their forum seems to have answers to just about any question I come up with. It is good value too ranging from about $19-$27 per week. You can pay extra for feedback on every session you do.

So overall I would say as long as you are following a well structured, proven plan you should be fine. If you need a coach I have no hesitation in recommend Mark Allen online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Mike Ricci at www.d3multisport.com.
Quote Reply