Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gas Vs. Pedal
Quote | Reply
So 8 weeks ago I joined a local strip mall gym on a 12 week contract in order to get my butt out of the house and on a actual workout plan. Just recently I had an 'ah, ha' moment - I've been driving the 3 miles to the gym to workout. Tonight I rode my MB to the gym and it felt awesome. It was a great feeling knowing that I wasn't wasting gas and now that I've decided to commit to doing a short distance Tri (haven't done one since my 1st daughter was 9 months old; yikes 3 years ago) every little bit outside of my Tri training plan helps right. :)

Anyone else choosing to pedal rather than drive?

Discovery: I'm sitting here watching an old episode of Sex and the City and Carrie and Big are making out. I just realized the 'sound' of kissing on TV is totally irritating.

Quote | Reply
If I didn't live on this ridiculous hill I would (think San Fran x 10). I just can't imagine having to climb this thing at the end of the work day. :(

Quote | Reply
I am fortunate to live 3miles from my work. I ride my bike to work, unless its thunderstorming, or its Januray or February (cold and dark, and stupid drivers aren't trustworthy in the dark when roads are slick), plus I give myself that time to be a little lazy. I also ride to the pool (3-5 miles, depending on which pool I go to). And try to do easy errands on my bike too, if I don't have to carry too much. I put less than 4000 miles on my car a year, most of that is driving to races, or to the trails to ride my mtb or do a trail run - and that bums me out that I have to drive to do those two things - but I won't give them up because they are really important to me, which is why I make a concerted effort to not drive for other things unless absolutely necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Vs. Pedal [wolffpack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually driving a lot more now since I'm bike racing and racing on the track. I take the bus or the cable car to work and only drive to the grocery store when I have the car out already. Never drive to go to dinner or out at night (bus/cab). But, the track is 45 miles away and we go 2-3 times a week (or will now that summer is here). And you can bike race every single weekend here, most weekends twice if you want.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hoping to! I only live 10k away from work so it's a quick 20min ride. In fact some days it's too short so I ride over the other bridge to make it more like 45min.

The summer after having my girl, as I started back at work on a part-time basis, I rode my bike every day to and from work. The first few weeks, it was painfully slow, but by the end of summer I was back doing crit racing. I *loved* being able to ride every day. I could do it again if we got a nanny - instead of me driving the kids to and from daycare, they could hang at home and I could ride again. Alas, a nanny is double the cost of daycare, and my gas bill doesn't even come close to that difference. :-(

When I get the chance, I like to ride to the pool/lake/beach, swim, then ride a bit more before heading home. On those hot summer nights, when it's light til 10pm, I love it. Usually involves a stop for ice cream at some point too ;-)

Good for you to get out there.

AP (PS: Gas is about 5.50/gal where I live)

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Vs. Pedal [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started commuting to work a few months ago, and almost shot myself when I realized "Why haven't I done this before?" (been at my job since Aug 07). It's usually 10 miles each way, but until Nov with construction on the road my route is 13 miles each way. I don't look at it like training, but free calories burned while saving gas. I try to ride more days than drive, and it's been great so far!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Vs. Pedal [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. It's amazing how much better you get at riding when you do those short rides twice a day every day. Huge difference. Plus the extra calorie burn rocks. Sigh, yer making me miss it more! AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Vs. Pedal [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi AP- I hope you're feeling well!

I try to make my commutes all about enjoying riding my bike. I don't wear my HR monitor, don't bring my watch etc...
Of course I have days that I want to push it a bit, and I let myself. But if I feel like just riding, that's what I do.
We'll see what happens when summer really hits here in Tucson.... I'm all about the baby wipes...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Vs. Pedal [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly! I took my bike computer off and love riding more ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commute to work...it's like 5 miles each way. I was spooked about it at first because I get off at 11pm, and I have to ride down Peachtree Road in Atlanta for the whole trip. Then I started doing it because the Georgia clean air campaign will pay you $3 a day for an alternate commute, for up to 90 days. And it's amazing! I thought it would be a totally hostile enviornment, 'cause this is the south and we love our cars but don't like to share the road. But there are lots of people on bikes at 11, not homeless folks, just commuters. Now I have totally car-free work weeks. And I don't have to worry about parking late at night, it's always a hassle finding a space.
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Vs. Pedal [k2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is motivating me to start bike commuting. It's amazing how lazy I am when it comes to commuting to work. It's only 4 miles away! My excuse is that I always need to carry a bunch of stuff and I always train in the early am at the gym when it's cold and seems less appealing to get on the bike. I'll have to haul a big backpack with me, but I'm making the commitment right now to do it a minimum of once a week through the summer (I know that's not much, but it's a big improvement from never ever : ).
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Vs. Pedal [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You go Diana!!

Once a week is definitely better than never ever!

FWIW I too carry a big backpack (clothes, shoes, lunch, girlie stuff), and at first it was a couple times a week, then I started realizing how much gas I was saving, and how many calories I was burning, and I'm glad to say my car hasn't moved since last Sunday!

I even thought about looking into a commuter bike, just for fun.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply