Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Shorts-need suggestions
Quote | Reply
I need new tri shorts. And, I'd like some that stop chafing me please! I seem to be getting a saddle sore in exactly the same spot every time. I know someone else posted about the same problem a while back.

I'm looking into possibly a different seat but I've had my bike fit and this saddle worked ok last year--not great but the best of the five I tried. I'm currently riding on the Blackwell flow. Looking into trying the Terry Damselfly.

Anyway, this sore spot is on the beginning of the "girl parts" right where my leg comes up into the groin area. I'm tired of it. I know I need new shorts and riding in tri shorts has seemed to be better vs. bike shorts in the past.

I'd like to find some that have a gusseted chamois (i.e. no "seam" where the chamois is sewn in), no seam on the inner leg, and are about 5-7" long. I don't like them really long.

Anyone have any ideas or anything that's worked for them in the past? Yes, I do all the chamois butter, etc. too. I need to fix this problem or training for IMFL is going to be a loooong summer.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts-need suggestions [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm having really good luck with tri shorts by desoto as well as zoot. however both have seams. i have some sugois that don't have seams that i like too but just not as much as the others. i was having some serious saddle sore problems last year and a change in saddle did the trick. i ended up with the adamo road and i love it. however, one of my training partners also w/ saddle sore issues tried it and hated it; i think people either love it or hate it.

good luck - saddle sores suck.

halliet
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts-need suggestions [halliet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having trouble in exactly the same spot. I think you may have some relief if you tilt the seat down in the front just a bit. It worked for me. It won't affect your seat angle/power input if you don't mess with the fore/aft position. I also tried bib shorts for the first time today (Exte Ondo on sale from Sierra Trading Co) and they were very comfortable. No seams and they don't shift around, too.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you're describing seems to be more of a saddle problem than a shorts problem (though different shorts *may help).

Saddles are a pretty personal thing, and what works for one may not work for another - but I've heard some really good things about the Terry Damselfly for tri bikes in particular.

Btw - the difference between "chafing" and a "saddle sore" is pretty significant - I'm guessing you have regular chafing in a specific area rather than an actual saddle sore, but if I'm wrong you're probably going to want some antibiotics. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1331707

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts-need suggestions [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Repeated chafing in same area, periodic saddle sore. Now, it's like a knot there--after most of it popped last night. YOWCH. That happened once last summer too and I just don't want to do it again. I think I'm going to order the new saddle and try it out. And, I do need new shorts just in general anyway. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair of Descente Aero -XT tri shorts--no seam on the chamois, no elastic on the leg grippers, and amazing comfortable fabric.
About the periodic/recurrent saddle sore/"knot"...make sure it's not a sebaceous cyst that is getting recurrent infections. Those can be excised under local anesthesia..never to come back in that spot again.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts-need suggestions [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks! Will get that checked out!
Quote Reply