Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Wetsuit for Wife - Sizing question?
Quote | Reply
When purchasing my wetsuit - I checked height, and weight and called it a day. I noticed however, that the legs on my wetsuit are quite tight, herein lies my question.

I would like to get my wife a full wetsuit, but I am stuck with issues regarding size. She wears a size 6 in most clothing, weighs 145, but proportionally speaking, has larger legs / hips then her upper body which is quite small.

I assume from research that she would need a medium, but I am looking for other women with a similar build's advice. I am concerned that if the legs are too small she will have a great difficulty getting the suit off (they are hard enough for anyone) , but If I step up a size for her, than a large would be significantly oversized for her upper torso. I want to make sure she can get the best fit possible, as she has a great deal of excitement with this sport presently.

I would greatly appreciate advice , comments, thanks in advance.

Quote | Reply
You might want to think about a two-piece DeSoto wetsuit. That would allow you to get a different size bottom and top if necessary. DeSoto Sports has great customer service and will be more than happy to answer sizing questions if you email. Plus, it can be exchanged if it doesn't fit. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Wetsuit for Wife - Sizing question? [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You might want to think about a two-piece DeSoto wetsuit. That would allow you to get a different size bottom and top if necessary. DeSoto Sports has great customer service and will be more than happy to answer sizing questions if you email. Plus, it can be exchanged if it doesn't fit. Good luck!
Interesting - I was not aware of two piece of wetsuits!

Thanks for the advice, we can take a look there :)

Quote | Reply
I'd recommend getting the medium full one piece. I'm almost exactly your wife's same size - 144 lbs. and my legs are significantly bigger than my upper body. I joke that I'm a T-rex, even after gaining muscle from swimming. I'm way more proportionate than I was before triathlon, but I am two different sizes again as I start to lean out from training. I lean out on top only.

Yes, to squeeze into my wetsuit takes some time, but once it's on, it's great. I made the mistake at a tri last weekend of borrowing a size large from a friend, which was "easy" (relative) to get on, but you guessed it - much too large in the shoulders and upper torso. I filled up with water and didn't have a great swim. And it was just as hard to get off as my medium.

As for De Soto, make sure she tries the top on for sure. The way they were described to me by a sales associate, they aren't great for some women. They zip down the back, not up, and may not fully zip closed by her hips. I didn't even try one on after hearing that, but it might be an option.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Wetsuit for Wife - Sizing question? [Rycase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She sounds like she's similar in size to me. I used a one-piece for years. It's designed for someone who is fairly barrel-chested and didn't fit right. The deSoto is two-piece and is sold separately. I went with a larger size in the bottom and it fits considerably better.

The zipper is not an issue. I have a good seal at the bottom and it's tougher to get out of a sportsbra than out of the suit. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What banana said.

If your wife *doesn't* get the Desoto 2-piece, she'll end up looking like Michelin Man on top, and way too much water will get up in there.

You can call Desoto with exact measurements and they'll suggest a fit, yeah, she'll be at least one size smaller on top.

I've got the hips/thighs thing going and love my Desoto.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Wetsuit for Wife - Sizing question? [eisenhund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I thought - most likely the legs will be tight, but since her upper torso is soo small, I fear it will be extremely loose.

Thanks for the note - had to laugh about the T-Rex comment :)

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What banana said.

If your wife *doesn't* get the Desoto 2-piece, she'll end up looking like Michelin Man on top, and way too much water will get up in there.

You can call Desoto with exact measurements and they'll suggest a fit, yeah, she'll be at least one size smaller on top.

I've got the hips/thighs thing going and love my Desoto.

So if she wears a medium on most tops, (sometimes small), you would suggest that she buy sa medium, and then a large bottom?

Quote | Reply
I've had the best luck in men's suits. My last suit was a women's, and to get it to fit my legs, I had too much room in the chest. A men's medium-small or a men's medium-short is the way to go, IMO. Yes, you may have to trim the legs a bit, but it fits much better proportionally.

FWIW, I'm 5'9.5; 137. I am small chested, but have a broad ribcage and shoulders, and am not particularly curvy. Atletic or stocky would be a good description of me.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try calling TriSports.com

They have the largest selection of wetsuits and really know how each style/brand fits. With a brief conversation, they can probably help you make the correct selection.......they do this all the time.

Also, they have an extremely liberal wetsuit return policy, so sometimes people will order more than one and return what doesn't fit.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Desoto sizing is in numbers (sizes 1-6 I think?) not in small/medium/large.

I had to write Emilio to get the right size. He asked me a lot of questions to get it right. He asked for a photo as well, to get a sense for body proportions. The resulting top and bottom I got are different sizes, and they fit together perfectly! I love having a top that is snug and just right, rather than the way too roomy upper body in my former wetsuit.

I don't want to guess that your wife will necessarily be the same size/proportions that I am - so don't hesitate to write Emilio here on this forum - he will help you right out!
Quote Reply