Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tight Upper Hamstrings
Quote | Reply
Does anyone get chronic tight upper hamstrings during long course training? I feel like I have been contantly sore for 2 years....

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tight Upper Hamstrings [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep. In the middle of IMCDA prep now and sometimes I wake up at night and my butt/hamstrings are throbbing. I get my friend/ strength coach to put the 'atomic elbow' on my butt. It's amazing how a pointy elbow in the ass can loosen up my hamstrings. go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I'd suggest more stretching and regular massage. Focus on your gluts and hamstrings for your stretching. If you can add the stretching to your routine a couple of days a week, it would make an enormous difference.

Also, your position on the bike might need some adjustment. If you are that sore in the hamstrings, it could be that your fit is not quite right and that your position is causing strain. When was the last time you had a bike fit?

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get this, used to get it very bad. You can also use a golf ball to self-massage your piriformis - which is often a cause of a tight hammie (i.e.: tight piriformis, tight glute min (not max) and tight hammie, while the glute max on the affected side is almost slack/loose). Check into the hip stretches out there. I personally *love* the golfball trick, it's a great simulation of the atomic elbow ;-)

AP

PS: Go get your core strength/ride form/run form checked out. You may have imbalances that make this happen. I did.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started going to yoga regularly once a week this year in the off season and have continued it into my training and I honestly don't know how I ever trained without it before. If you have that as an option (or simply get a DVD) it's been an incredible asset to my training. I also have hamstring issues (and calves, and lower back) and the weekly yoga has made a HUGE impact on my flexibility and stretching which in turn has made my workouts more consistent and stronger.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Tight Upper Hamstrings [Tightey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advise! Had my hubby do this last night and it really helped (first time I just about jumped 10' in the air, best to tell him to start out gently). Then we were both laughing so hard as I started telling him press harder, harder!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this problem too, and it results in painful tendonitis in the back of my knees. My PT has me stretching my hams for at least two minutes twice a day. It's pretty much eliminated the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight Upper Hamstrings [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotta second the suggestion about yoga. You will never stretch as much on your own as you do in a yoga class or with a video. There's some good videos out there for athletes and I even found one made especially for triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tight Upper Hamstrings [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all of the answers. Bike fit is good--and recent. I think that the stretching and a regular yoga class/stretching is the way to go!

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply