Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diet/meal suggestions needed!
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd throw this out to the Peanut Gallery:

I've gotten extremely busy at work over the past month (which in this market is A (very) Good Thing), but it's wreaking havoc on my eating. I do fine at breakfast (and second breakfast) and lunch (and second lunch), but I find that by the time I get home at 9 or 10, I'm not hungry ... or I'm famished. So I end up either eating horribly or not eating at all, neither of which is good. Even heating up leftovers isn't appealing.

So I'm looking for suggestions for painfully easy meals or meal-lets that are healthier than, say, apple slices dipped in Nutella. I've been eating a modified Paleo diet, so I'd like to stay away from bread- and/or cheese-based snacks. Any suggestions? Stopping to eat supper, then working more isn't an option -- it's probably the best thing to do, but I hate breaking momentum ... so I won't stop to eat.

Thanks for any help any of you can offer!
Quote Reply
Re: Diet/meal suggestions needed! [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean that cheese plate the other night wasn't on the paleo diet??? ;-) Thanks again!

Some ideas:

cottage cheese and fruit
thinly sliced turkey wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla
hummus and veggies
small tins of tuna mixed with some mustard and some whole grain crackers

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Diet/meal suggestions needed! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hence the "modified!" Anytime I can't bear not to eat bread or cheese, I modify the diet! (And my pleasure -- anytime!)

Thanks for the suggestions. These are good ideas. I think my problem is that nothing is particularly appealing that late at night. Even if I'm hungry, I have no desire to eat.

Hope Boulder is fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried greek yogurt? I'm really hot on it right now. Very high protein, low calorie, low carb. I add some honey and fresh berries. Perfect evening snack or late dinner.

Premixed salad is always good. Cut up all the veggies at the beginning of the week so it is easy to just grab a handful of things and put it in a bowl.

I'm also a big fan of soup. It is great comfort food.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you and i are the opposite; i hate to eat in the day, don't mind at night, but i relate to not wanting to break momentum to eat.

what gets me through is a protein shake. takes about 10 seconds to make, then i can drink it down and be "full".
the favorite brand of mine is Beverly International, it is very clean and good quality. i like Ultra Size, because it is filling and like the taste. generally i do 1.5 scoops of chocolate Ultra Size, teaspoon of natural peanut butter, 8-10 ounce of water and a scoop of ice. blend it all up, and it's easy as that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way that you could take dinner into work with you so that you would be eating at a more decent time?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Diet/meal suggestions needed! [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm ... protein shake. Easy, not really "eating," can be enjoyed in the bathtub ... This sounds like a good idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Diet/meal suggestions needed! [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is what I should be doing, and in a perfect world I would, but it's not happening right now. Excuses, excuses ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With your tight schedule this might be unfeasible, but I "mini" prepare dinner when I get up in the a.m. and am still trying to pry the eyelids open before a workout.

That way when I come home, wanting to skip healthy, healthy's already halfway there....Mostly it means I prepare dinner salads and get the chicken marinating for the grill or pre cook while I'm getting ready so I can just re-heat.

I'm also a huge Trader Joe's fan. Latest indulgence: Argentinian Red Shrimp. I swear it tastes like lobster. Only takes a few minutes to cook up on the stove. That and their "Seafood Blend" is awesome, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like fruit late at night. I will eat a banana and be very satisfied.

How about a smoothie?

Maybe make a big batch of bulgur (spelling?)pilaf or qunioa pilaf to eat?

I also will eat breakfast that late. Eggs are very quick and tasty!

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya know...you could just buy two lunches and stick one in the frig and then pop it in the microwave. Good for those 8PM conference calls!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked into a crock pot? You could prep the food the night before, leave it in the fridge overnight, and turn it on before you walk out the door in the morning. Then, you'll come home to the smell of ready-to-eat dinner.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to thank everyone again for chiming in. Absolutely fabulous responses, and they have made me realize that I am dealing with not only a time crunch issue, but also a lack of motivation issue. Crock-pots (love mine ... usually!), soups, etc., are normally my go-to staples, but I just don't feel like cooking or even pseudo-cooking right now.

So ... for now, it's going to be big honking monster salads at lunch and things like protein shakes at night. I'm going to stop by either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods tonight to see about pre-made meals that I can throw in the freezer for when the evening hunger has a little more edge to it. I've been trying to avoid pre-made due to the Na levels, but something's got to give.

... or I might just stop by Chipotle on the way home and have a massive burrito! (Damn you Chipotle for being on my walk home!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a plus, I have noticed that most of the frozen packaged meals at Trader Joes have a lot less sodium than those at the traditional grocery stores.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet/meal suggestions needed! [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never been a crockpot person but crockpot cooking could be a solution I should look into. I find it so hard to get home from work, get my workout in and then eat a decent dinner. I find myself eating a piece of fruit and recovery shake and then heading to bed. In the morning I am starving. But if a real dinner was already cooked, I would eat it. Do you have any recommendations on cook books or places to search for recipes? I am not a "cook" where I can just see what I have around and make something fantastic. I need to follow a recipe.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a favourite quick mini meal: a can of tuna with just a bit of mayo, lots of lemon juice, some dill, and some dried cranberries....best if you make ahead. I bring it to work in tupperware and have it on crackers or with celery and carrot sticks. Something about that combo makes a great tuna salad.

I also keep a bunch of boiled eggs in fridge, relatively cheap and easy to carry quick protein....

I tried keeping nuts in my desk and that doesnt work for me as I will eat a whole can! so I get single servings...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like to cook anything that takes long, and I have to have a very exact recipe to follow, I'm a very pathetic cook. I just came across this article that has some things I'm going to try, they sound fast, and are very explicit on the spices/oils/sauces to use.

http://www.active.com/..._Ins_0508&link=7
Quote Reply