Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tight pants and other signs of increased biking
Quote | Reply
So I am finally taking the triathlon thing more seriously (swimmer background) and biking more than 20-40 miles per week and have noticed a few interesting things since upping my biking mileage to over 100 mpw:
1. Tight pants - The waist is too big, but the thigh and calf area is tight - need to invest in more stretchy pants
2. Hideous farmer tan - my knees on down are somewhat tan, my thighs are still pasty white - this is not good for someone who likes to hang out at the pool (looks odd)
3. When wearing skirts or dresses at work - male co-workers comment on how large my calves are. Nice - just what I always wanted to hear
4. Husband mentions that my thighs are bigger than his - and I look "sturdy". Thanks honey.
i thought I had big thighs back in college (NCAA D1 breaststroker) but this is crazy. On a positive note, at least my arms have started to shrink - my nickname in high school was "guns"!

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: tight pants and other signs of increased biking [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and just as I am getting ready to ride, I read this :P

I like my skinny legs. Perhaps I will be a runner and swimmer forever.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: tight pants and other signs of increased biking [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat! The recurring comment about my lower legs: "Those aren't calves, they're steer!" Lovely.
And the thighs have a new name: Quadzilla.
I found an awesome sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultrasheer spf 85--my hope was to decrease the color disparity from the bike/tri shorts tan. Well, I forgot to apply before putting the shorts on, the shorts rode up during the ride, and now I have a weird sunburned stripe across my upper thigh.
Oh well, I'd rather have a rockin' bike split than be a fashionista!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Husband mentions that my thighs are bigger than his - and I look "sturdy". Thanks honey. "

Nothing wrong with a sturdy woman. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should try track/sprinting. The gals at the velodrome actually have quad measuring contests (they want bigger!)

All my jeans are getting tight in the legs and huge gap at the waist. Forget boots around the calves!

But, two people in the past week told me I looked skinny (not in my mind) or asked if I'd lost weight. So, if it makes me faster, fine.

I don't mind the farmer's tan. Everyone at work already knows the bike is more important.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was one of my first complaints about cycling - and in the past month of rest most of my jeans fit again. The one nice side effect of injury. That said, I would rather be able to train and have tight pants than be stuck on the bench..

Next time your hub calls you sturdy, tell him you're going to kick his ass.

>:)
Quote Reply
Re: tight pants and other signs of increased biking [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so I'm not the only one with the nickname Quadzilla.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sturdy" whack him upside the head.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Girls, don't worry...us guys who count like a woman who is of the athletic build and like that extra badonkadonk that comes from riding. If you're really worried, try riding at a higher cadence and increase your running mileage proportionally with your riding to keep your muscle mass down. Amen to biker chicks - they rock my world! Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that I can only wear stretch pants or men's. Seriously. Men's Levi's 501 buttonfly seem to have the room for my thighs. Not cut as low in the waist as I'd like, but they do in a pinch.

Thank god for short/skirt season!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hehe, this post cracked me up. As a former breaststroker, I used to think my thighs were 'big' too. It wasn't until I started cycling a ton that I realized that cycling hammies are bigger than breaststroke hammies and are quite a detriment when it comes to fashion. There was a point in time where Marisol and I were both having this problem and I would go to her house to try on clothes to narrow down the selection at the store, based on what brands fit her cycling thighs :) Big, low rider waist and skinny leg jean fashion needs to go. Nothing makes it over the cycling thighs... I finally bucked the cute jeans, bought a size or two up and wear a belt. People think you lost weight because your jeans are loose instead of being bound tightly to your legs.

and farmers tans look great in wedding pictures :) I've been in too many to count with a fabulous farmers tan. Hey, they chose to get married at the end of summer and asked me to be in it knowing I was a cyclist :)

It's all good :)

anne
Quote Reply
Re: tight pants and other signs of increased biking [albush1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badonkadonk

I can't help it, that is a damn funny word!

My thighs have always been thick. At least now it is because of muscle :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really was kinda kidding about whacking him upside the head. Hubby was massaging my hammies and calves last night and very delicately said "your quads are becoming more toned." I'm not riding a ton of hills, so I think he just means more defined. hope so.

I was a gymnast for years and swam the whole time too. So I had big ole quads, shoulders, and calves. The distance running has really helped slim my quads a bit, but training for my iron distance last summer that was SO SO hilly, they bulked some again. Got'em back down some now though.

I'm not sure about where you are, but we have TJ Max and Marshalls here and I LOVE the Tahari jeans, and they have them for around $40. I can't always find them, but they seem to work on my quads. Also the Nine West and Karen Kane jeans (what I used to think were "mommy" brands!!!!) are some of my FAVORITES! I also have a pair of Ann Taylor Loft jeans that I got on sale there for $10 last spring (I know! WHAT A BUY!) that are the loose fit that are super comfy. They are my "skinny" jeans at a size 2 and hadn't been able to wear them after September until about a month and half ago! That was fun!

good luck!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply