Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A question for the speedy ones among us...with a second related question [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had many good coaches over the years. I have had an internet coach who gave a monthly training plan. I was also able to call about 2/month for questions. It was great for my first Im. I missed Kona by one slot. When I first started out there were not that many coaches around to choose from like today.

After that I hired a local coach and we had group training. I had a monthly plan and group rides. The problem with that was I was the only one training for an early Im and so on the group rides I was tired and rode by myself a lot.- kona slot

I have also used the multisports.com plan b/c I bought a slot one year and it came with the package. I did well at that Im also. I didn't want the slot that year and I missed it by one again.

Last year I hired Kevin Purcell. He coaches over the internet but it's not what you think. He writes the program out on Sunday after he hears about your weekend ride. The program is written for you and what you need to reach your goal. He will call you frequently!! No kidding I would log my workouts into TP and as I was getting up from my computer the phone would ring to talk about my ride. I know he coaches a lot of people and pros but honestly you would think you were the only one he was coaching. OMG and the detailed plans of execution for your races was unbelieveable!! Very detailed. I'm just trying to point out that the right internet coach may work for you. I also got a slot that year.

This year I am training myself. (The funds are low.)
Quote Reply
Re: A question for the speedy ones among us...with a second related question [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not on the podium for tris (I'll learn to move forward in the water one of these days). However, I do well in duathlons and in running races.
Natural talent - Kinda...For me it's my build. I'm on the smaller side with a light upper body (great for the run and climbing on the bike, no help on the swim). The 6'3 girls did not shake with fear when I played co-ed volleyball with the spouse. Oh, and after childbirth - I can endure anything.
Training at a young age- Nope... I was never involved in organized sports. However, as kids, we rode our bikes everywhere, and played in the Y pool all summer. My husband and I played volleyball and cycled a bunch in college.
Clean nutrition- it helps. I tried the Dean K no sugar, no white flour thing... it lasted about a day. I do eat reasonably well, though.
Good coach - I have a local coach that sends training plans via e-mail, and checks in with me by phone. I've had a few swim lessons incorporating underwater dvd analysis (big help for struggling swimmers).
Other - I belong to a local tri club. This is one of the best resources I have. I swim with an ex-collegiate water polo player from the team and she is always happy to give me a laundry list of things to fix. Lots of group rides etc..I also started running with guys that are faster than I am. It forces me to work harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, a disclaimer: no-one in their right mind would ever call my "speedy", save perhaps in transition. :p

Dedication, commitment, and above all, consistency will get just about anyone to the front of the pack. It might not get you an overall win at a big race, but it will definitely get you top 10. Genetics/talent are great. It is a huge benefit that can never be argued, or taken away. But very often you'll see a highly motivated, less gifted athlete outperforming the more naturally gifted one. Many naturally talented athletes "coast" their way through early success, and never really develop the skills and work ethic it takes to get to the very top. Some do, for sure - but many of the people you'll find winning their AG or racing as 3rd or 4th tier pros are simply gifted folk who don't work too hard at it. The ones you'll see placing 5th-10th overall will often be the ones with less talent, but incredible drive and dedication. Years upon years of consistent application of effort. Study of technique, aerodynamics and form. All the tiny details that add up to a significant difference overall. But mostly, consistent training, built up over a base of many years that enables them to sustain the training load that it takes to perform at that level.

The winners in Hawaii? Yeah - those guys usually have both. But with enough hard work and dedication, the folks with mediocre genetics can still give them a good run for the money - and they might just come out on top.

Good coaching is important, and shouldn't be ignored either.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next