Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

experience with running coaches
Quote | Reply
ok--here is the deal. i've completed 11 marathons (anywhere between 4:09-4:35) and now i would like to stop playing around and qualify for Boston. any suggestions on running coaches, on-line coaching, or marathon training plans to help me achieve a 3:45 marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: experience with running coaches [ugogrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send a PM to AmyCO if she doesn't respond here. I know she's worked with Mike Ricci on a marathon training plan. I've read quite a bit of his stuff and I think he really knows what he's talking about. He's definitely someone you should consider if you're looking for a coach.

Whatever you do, I suggest you read both Pfitzinger's "Advanced Marathoning" and Daniel's "Daniel's Running Formula". They both have a load of info that is very useful.

I'm also working towards a BQ (need a 3:50), but I've come up with my own training plan that is a merging of Pfitzinger and Hal Higdon's online stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: experience with running coaches [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great--thanks! I'll add those books to my Barnes and Nobles list! I picked up "Run Less, Run Faster" yesterday. It has several 16-week BM training plans which appear to be doable. The plans include the standards such at Tempo runs, long runs, and track drills. I also saw a few 20-week training plans when I was on-line. how long is your training plan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was Sunday a PR? AWESOME!!!

-maggs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a new girl here and I'm also looking to Boston. I used Run Less Run Faster last fall and had my best marathon to date. It was great to have a program that accommodated my tri training. We will get there :)
Quote Reply
Re: experience with running coaches [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep--its was a PR--but I really wanted to do better. My garmin showed a 9:06 min/mile versus the 9:26 which is posted. Of course I would rather believe my truste Garmin! :-) Overall the race was great--although I had to wait about 3 minutes at to pee at mile 3--i just find a big enough tree on the course! :-) There was also about 10 real hills on the first 13 miles...that was a little unexpected. But overall I felt strong the entire race. Not sure if I can qualify for BM at MCM, but I want to at least break 4 hours. I can always sign up for another race in early Jan or Feb to try to qualify. BTW--I think I'm gonna pick a new color--there was waaaaaaay too much pink on the Flying Pig course! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: experience with running coaches [tri2volley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you training for a marathon this fall? i'm shooting for the marine corps marathon in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanson's Coaching Service,

http://www.hansonscoachingservices.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming I don't drown myself at my 1st HIM in September, I'll be going to Kiawah in December for the marathon (nice 'n flat). Have you done Marine corps marathon before? The crowd support was fantastic. Very cool race.
I'm also getting training plans via e-mail from a local coach (thank you family members for the Christmas gift). He's emphasizing strength training with me- much more so than the book did. I had a very noticeable improvement in my 5k times @ my last duathlon. Woo hoo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a marathon PR of 4:15 when I decided to hire a coach.
I wanted a BQ very BADLY.
My new marathon PR is 3:35:34 ran at Houston this past January.
Most of this I credit with hard work and sheer determination, but I did work with http://www.kellyleljeblad.com and she was GREAT. A good coach can really help.
Quote Reply
Re: experience with running coaches [sprtymama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry! typo

http://kellyliljeblad.com/

I need a spelling coach too
Quote Reply
Re: experience with running coaches [sprtymama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow!! What a fantastic result. What changes did you make in your run program?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The changes I feel helped the most were having a solid plan and sticking to it, increasing weekly mileage.(Mine went from approx 25-35 weekly to 45-55 weekly)..And speed/tempo runs.
Of course it also helps to have a flexible wok schedule and a family that is supportive of your goals.. At least in my case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also recommend Kelly Liljeblad. I am coached by her twin sis Kim Loeffler. Kelly has a wonderful persoanily in addition to her running experience and expertise. SHe also used to work with Greg McMillan.
My two cents,
Danielle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same experience as some of the other gals here. I was running 9:09 minute miles for Chicago '07 and then registered for the Flying Pig. During the winter and spring, I did a lot of research and stuck with www.halhigdon.com. There are some extremely experienced runners in the forums and you can ask anything! Hal is very experienced in training too. He has a motivating marathon book out and lots of free plans on his website. I now run 8:00mm long runs and 7mm sorta long runs. My FP was 3:39:18 so the hills really got to my knees. I hope to get closer to 3:35 for the Columbus marathon since it is fast and flat---many people PR and BQ in Columbus!!

I mix up my workouts; some are for speed, some are for hill training, and the long runs are ALWAYS practice for marathon. I treat every long run like a marathon, from my eating habits, to clothes, to nutrition on the course. Write down what works and what doesn't. I also run 3/4ths of my long runs at marathon pace. Many coaches say to run it 10-20% slower...doesn't make sense to me; if you never practice your marathon pace how do you expect to run that fast on the day of the race?!

Stay motivated like Speedy says! If there is a day you don't feel like running long or short, do it anyway! You'll be thankful later!
My .02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm married to my running coach which makes for some interesting banter when I don't have as good a workout or I just feel crappy, BUT, he's been having me to some serious track work (basically the same workout he and his training partner do, which let me tell you, IS TOUGH, but only slower) and i have noticed a HUGE difference. I think I am going to turn the reins over to him completely after my IM and see if I can finally have a well put together and well executed marathon. He keeps saying I have the potential to go around 3:20 but I keep falling apart somewhere!

They are worth your time, but make sure you find someone who is willing to listen to you...that is the best part about being married to my coach, or rather having my hubby be my run coach. We've been together 9 years, married for nearly 8 (WOHA!) and he knows how I act when my body is revolting and knows my limits almost as well as I do. The flip side is that he knows when I'm not pushing as hard as I can.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: experience with running coaches [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read Run Less, Run Faster and plan to use that training plan if I can't find the right coach to motivate/listen to my whining and complaining during the track workouts! If you haven't read it, the plan requires 3 days of focused running (tempo/track work/long run) and 2 days of cross training. It 'goes against the grain' with only 3 days of running versus the standard 5-6 day training plan. But I think this plan makes sense to me--I actually had my best marathon during IM FL--go figure! So I'll let you gals know how it goes.
Quote Reply