Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing
Quote | Reply
I have a P2C with a sub-9 disc. I don't notice anything when I ride, but afterwards, I notice that the chain has rubbed on the bulging part of the disc. It is beginning to mess up the decals which is a little annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [Fjellklatrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are not supposed to ride on the small ring and a disk wheel ;-)

Seriously, your best bet will be calling Zipp, their customer service is great.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [S~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't ever go into the small front ring, but on occasion I need to go up to the second ring from the top in the rear. I live in Norway, which is not a flat country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can't call and ask them PM me I will call Zipp and ask about it for you and send you their response. Now they are closed for the day (after 5PM) send me the year and size of your frame incase they need it.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about some pictures?

Is it rubbing above the hub or below the hub? Yes, the rubbing will be circular but the contact point may only be in one spot. Knowing where may help us diagnose.

Right now, I am thinking derrailleur issues.

But put up a pic.

p.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are some clearance issues with the sub9 on the Cervelos. There was a guy here selling one because of it (I'm not sure what was rubbing what), and this would explain why the CSC guys don't appear to be using it (at least what I've noticed). That said, I've never seen one in a Cervelo, so I'd be curious to see a picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using one on a P3C and haven't had any issues aside from the fact that the brake track is extremely wide and you have to open the brakes WIIIIIDE!

Somehwere along the line I promised someone a review of the wheel after I'd raced it a few times. Here it is:

SWEEEEEEEET!

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also having those rubbing problems with my P3C and Sub9. For me, the problem is that the chainstays are quite narrow for the bulge. I think there's something like 4-5mm clearance on both sides of the wheel so it's no problem as long as I'm riding normally (in the saddle).
The rubbing occurs when I stand up and accelerate really hard. I'm 6'3" and weigh 190lbs+ so I guess that I have what it takes to flex the wheel enough under those circumstances.

I'm thinking about removing the stickers since they are starting to look bad now.

Maybe Zipp will start a "Sticker-Gone-Bad Replacement program" for those of us with these problems :-)

The average human uses 10% of his brain power.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or shave the pads with a razor blade...

on my felt da with zipp pads, I have to shave the brakepads to not get drag the 0g brake doesn't open wide enough without it. no issues with chainstay width, even when standing.

on my p3c (b+w 07) the chainstays are CLOSE, but I haven't ridden it yet to see if there is any rubbing.

then again, even then it shouldn't be an issue on my "a" event course:

:D

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [S~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You are not supposed to ride on the small ring and a disk wheel ;-)
Exactly! Interestingly I found a couple of pictures on well known guys that don't get that ;-)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...A_Pro_Time_Trial.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...abian_Cancellara.jpg

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [greijuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed the same thing on my virgin ride with the Sub 9 on my P3C.

FWIW, I am told that CSC is NOT using the Sub 9 on the P3C b/c of this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had something very similar happen on my P2C when I put on my Zipp 606s. There was nothing wrong with the wheel, but the wheel was out of alignment in the bike. Those little tiny screws to move the wheel closer or further away from the seatpost have to be even, otherwise the wheel will be out of alignment. Now I check, double check, and triple check to make sure that the wheel is set in the straight before tightening everything down.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the 2008 Sub-9 any wider or more flexible than the 2007 bulged clincher disk? Neither my wife nor I have had any problems with the latter rubbing on the stays of her P3C, even during standing starts.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
then again, even then it shouldn't be an issue on my "a" event course:

1. How do times there compare to those at Moriarity?

2. Any TTs on that course in the fall? (Jim keeps buggin' me to come visit.)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

1. How do times there compare to those at Moriarity?

2. Any TTs on that course in the fall? (Jim keeps buggin' me to come visit.)

Somewhere on my network is a spreadsheet with times from it...the last time it was used...like 2000 or 2001. I however went really slow on account of using a pi rubber skinsuit in 100d+ heat...

:O

Unfortunately no, I wish we used 4-6x a year!

And stateTT is on the 31st. But lemme know if you need any info on other events when you plan a trip...

G

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had the clicher version but I think that the tubular 900 wheel was just as flexy (not much really compared to my previous HED disc though). I don't think that the disc is particularly flexy but putting huge load on it will of course bend it a little. Josh would know I suppose.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [greijuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm also having those rubbing problems with my P3C and Sub9. For me, the problem is that the chainstays are quite narrow for the bulge. I think there's something like 4-5mm clearance on both sides of the wheel so it's no problem as long as I'm riding normally (in the saddle).
The rubbing occurs when I stand up and accelerate really hard. I'm 6'3" and weigh 190lbs+ so I guess that I have what it takes to flex the wheel enough under those circumstances.

I'm thinking about removing the stickers since they are starting to look bad now.

Maybe Zipp will start a "Sticker-Gone-Bad Replacement program" for those of us with these problems :-)

Problem solved. This was exactly what the problem was - 1 mm off towards the drive side - not the chain rubbing as I had thought. Thanks. And for the record, I am only 5'10" and 155 lbs. I guess it doesn't take much to flex the Sub-9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it doesn't take much to flex the Sub-9.

Others have said on this thread that CSC had made an across-the-board decision not to run the Sub-9 on their P3Cs. I hadn't heard that before, but I HAD heard that Cancellara wasn't using it because he was so big and powerful that he was flexing it all over the place.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess it doesn't take much to flex the Sub-9.

Others have said on this thread that CSC had made an across-the-board decision not to run the Sub-9 on their P3Cs. I hadn't heard that before, but I HAD heard that Cancellara wasn't using it because he was so big and powerful that he was flexing it all over the place.

I wonder if it wouldn't have been as "flexy" if they'd made the non-drive side slightly lenticular shaped in the middle instead of flat....

Is this an area of superiority for an 808 (or 1080) with a cover over the Sub9? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if it wouldn't have been as "flexy" if they'd made the non-drive side slightly lenticular shaped in the middle instead of flat....

Is this an area of superiority for an 808 (or 1080) with a cover over the Sub9? ;-)

Perhaps. But having raced both (808 w/ cover and Sub-9), I can tell you that the difference in weight is substantial and noticeable ... at least to a smaller rider like me. The 808 w/cover was fast, but any uphill grade at all and I felt a bit like I was dragging an anchor. I don't think the Sub-9 is any faster over the flats, but hit a hill and it's a relative treat (I guess up until the point that you have to get out of the saddle and flex it ... though I haven't noticed any rubbing issues).

Disclaimer: I'm comparing an 808 clincher with cover to a Sub-9 which is tubular. Some of the weight differential is inherent. Some isn't.

Bob C.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Perhaps. But having raced both (808 w/ cover and Sub-9), I can tell you that the difference in weight is substantial and noticeable ... at least to a smaller rider like me. The 808 w/cover was fast, but any uphill grade at all and I felt a bit like I was dragging an anchor. I don't think the Sub-9 is any faster over the flats, but hit a hill and it's a relative treat (I guess up until the point that you have to get out of the saddle and flex it ... though I haven't noticed any rubbing issues).

Disclaimer: I'm comparing an 808 clincher with cover to a Sub-9 which is tubular. Some of the weight differential is inherent. Some isn't.

Yeah...you're talking about an almost 1 lb difference between those 2 setups. Then again, if the 808 was tubular, it would only be a difference of just under 1/2 lb. Then, once again, a 0.5 to 1 lb difference isn't going to matter for a flat TT.

BTW, what tires were you running on each setup? THAT could also have a bearing on the "anchor dragging" feel ;-) I'm assuming you're running the tangentes on the sub9?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 404's which rub on the rear brake pads when out of the saddle. My zipps have a little lateral movement in the hubs which I'm told is normal and by design die to the way the bearings work. It's annoying at least. Anyone sle come across this.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you made the mistake of purchasing a cervelo!
damn Canadian engineers! Just kidding

Youngest American Competitor
2007 Ford Ironman 70.3 World Championship
http://www.stephengroden.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, what tires were you running on each setup? THAT could also have a bearing on the "anchor dragging" feel ;-) I'm assuming you're running the tangentes on the sub9?

Tangentes on the Sub-9, yes (glued, not taped ... three thin layers of Vittoria Mastik on the rim, one on the tire). When I was running the 808 clincher/cover I used Vittoria Corsa EVO CX with latex tubes. No anchor effect there.

I don't have any flat TTs. Even the races I do at Lowes Motor Speedway aren't truly flat. You can really feel the uphill grade on that track. For someone my size, the weight differential between the setups seems meaningful in nearly all situations.

Bob C.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey guys how bad is the sub 9 rubbing on the cercelo's I just purchased an 08 pc3 and sub9. Also are the adjustment screws on the cervelos on the back were the skewers go are they supposed to be out the same length and how far in or out is everyone running on the bikes. I put the wheel on and yes its close to rubbing the frame about quarter in. I hope I can use this frame and wheel combo.
Quote Reply

Prev Next