Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Food: The Little Things You Do
Quote | Reply
The "Motivation to not eat crap" thread pushed me to post this. There has probably been many threads discussing this in the past but hey, why not do it again.

I don't have the time right now to start off with complete recipes so I will start with little something I do to salads to add flavor.

I add sliced apples, tangerines, pears, or oranges. Other times I add dried cranberries. As a super treat I add carmellized walnuts. I carmallize them myself to make sure they are created with very little butter and non-processed sugar. I like to make them with a very pure brown sugar.

I will keep adding on as time permits and hopefully others will contribute as well.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a little seasoned salt or meat tenderizer spice on my salads for a bit of kick - I never use salad dressing. Also, I have never once in my life bought butter or ketchup, so it's a treat when I do get to have a buttered roll or ketchup in a restaurant. But I still eat too many sweets :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put seasonings on my salad as well, no dressing. Sam's Club has two that I love: Roasted Garlic, Sea Salt, and Parsley and one called Salad Toppings, which is dried vegetables. Also, fresh herbs in salad make it SO yummy. Rosemary, mint, and basil all work great.
I love my morning smoothie with frozen strawberries, spinach, and vanilla whey protein. You cannot taste the spinach! I also love protein powder mixed in applesauze and /or oatmeal with fruit.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [Jessica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I make my own salad dressing and my own salads. Some spinach, dried cranberries, walnuts, feta cheese, and olive oil/vinegar/fancy mustard make for an amazing salad, easy, fast, and tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) fruit and nuts on salads (like the rest of you do)

2) just started this one this week after the other thread to combat my chocolate eating immediately after meals (and other times). I make myself wait 30 minutes after I finish a meal before I will eat my chocolate. And so far, when I make it to 30 minutes, I don't feel the need (or really I guess its the want) for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i put sour cream on everything.

what, is that bad?

ok, just kidding.
seasonings--paprika, cumin, sea salt, black pepper, squeeze lemon, red chili flakes, curry, tobasco, and grow fresh herbs. all of this adds a ton of flavor. when there is big flavor the mouth feels full and there is less desire to eat fat/sugar.

also oven roasting is the way to go. and now it's grill time, a little olive oil brushed on goes a long way on grilled foods. even citrus juices, water, and a dab of oil is enough to baste with while grilling.

since i don't really want to stop to eat (honestly, if it weren't for cooking for my husband i would soon starve) i got some Beveryly International protein powder today so i will get a breakfast from now on. Beveryly makes good stuff and is a perfect late morning or mid afternoon snack if anyone gets hungry at the 10am, or 3pm times.

lastly, green tea is a miracle food! use it to cure cravings, take the edge off hunger, and provides a nice pep (not to mention the endless health benefits)
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"seasonings--paprika, cumin, sea salt, black pepper, squeeze lemon, red chili flakes, curry, tobasco, and grow fresh herbs."

Sounds like we have tastes that are alike.

A quick one for people that like asparagus (or if you don't try this): **please note that I never cook with measurements**

This is to be cooked in the BBQ or broiled - time un-knowned. I look at it and can tell when its ready (I know lots of help from me here)

- Either take a small (8x6x2) baking pan or fold aluminum foil to about those dimensions
- To prep the asparagus, hold about two inches from the tip on the stem and then the bottom of the stem. Bend and it should break off the bottom part where the taste isn't so great.
- Place the top part (where the head is) in the pan (or makeshift pan)
- Place a bit of olive oil in the pan
- Place enough basalmic vinigar in the pan so that the asparagus are about half covered
- If you like garlic, add crushed garlic - I love garlic so I add tons
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning

At around medium heat on a BBQ (the way I always cook it (gotta love California)) it takes about 10-15 minutes.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention that it is good to turn them every 5 minutes.

Drain the oil and basalmic vinigar and it is ready to serve.

Last edited by: Hid: May 8, 08 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
graham crackers, peanut butter and chocolate sauce. I told you people I had a problem. :-D
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
graham crackers, peanut butter and chocolate sauce. I told you people I had a problem. :-D

I think it is the people that don't like chocolate and peanut butter that have a problem!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and it works well, as I feel completely and totally ill right now, therefore I won't eat anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some times I sprinkly sugar on a bowl of peanut butter :)

Seriously though, I was raised eating very healthy and have continued that life style....but OMG is it great to break it from time-to-time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me too but I still love all that is sugary sweet!!!!! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When being "good" - I make a big vat of a healthy soup on sunday, and eat the leftovers all week long. It takes an hour or less, and goes a long way towards eating better when in a rush.

I posted the most recent one, that I loved, on the Timex blog a while back - Red Lentil Soup

BTW - thanks everyone for the not eating crap tips. I'm on a roll - a whopping 4 days without any junk food.
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use old bay on shrimp and saute that. mmmmm....

Also made stuffed chicken the other night. Butterflied a boneless breast, stuffed it with (sauted) chopped mushrooms, garlic and leeks. Then rolled and tied the chicken breast. browned it on all 4 sides and lowered the heat to low. Once chicken was cooked, removed it from the pan and added low sodium chicken broth, white wine, dijon mustard and thyme. Pour that over the chicken and serve with rice. Came out great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key to food happiness is fresh ingredients and a wide variety of high quality seasonings. Penzey's Spices (http://www.penzeys.com) are the best. Our cupboard is stocked with a wide array from the Penzey catalog. Yum!

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have some very cool and hard to find spices on that site. I will have to look into it more when I get some time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always try to keep my cupboard stocked with high quality snacks, so I don't give in to the urge to eat junk. Some of my favorites:

- dried figs, prunes, other dried fruit
- mixed nuts with no salt (just a handful a day, but they really help keep the munchies away)
- olives
- pickled beets
- plain yogurt with a just a touch of honey
- frozen berries (always have these in my freezer for smoothies, but also like them as a snack on their own)
- hummous
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1) fruit and nuts on salads (like the rest of you do)

2) just started this one this week after the other thread to combat my chocolate eating immediately after meals (and other times). I make myself wait 30 minutes after I finish a meal before I will eat my chocolate. And so far, when I make it to 30 minutes, I don't feel the need (or really I guess its the want) for it.

I also found that I crave chocolate after a spicy or garlic-y meal. Now I brush my teeth right away and I loose the craving for chocolate.

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A perfect salad (if I do say so myself :)

Spinach/mixed greens (whatever leaf you prefer!)
Shelled soybeans/edamame (fresh or frozen, thawed)
Green beans (fresh or frozen, thawed)
Asparagus (fresh or frozen, thawed)
(1) Mini reduced fat cottage cheese
(1) 3 oz packet of tuna
Sprinkling of dried cranberries
Sprinkling of walnut pieces
Lemon juice

I usually add a little sea salt and pepper to taste.

Occasionally I will add a very light raspberry vinegarette (courtesy of Trader Joes), but with everything else, you don't really need dressing!

Veggies, protein... yum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
garam masala.

Good on almost anything.

Melt a tiny amount of butter in a small pan (just a sliver works) over medium heat. Throw in a handful of raw pecans. Use a generous amount of garam masala. Toss and toast for a few minutes until warm and starting to brown. Yum yum.

Tliapia or other mild white fish. Baked or cooked in a pan with olive oil. Use a generous amount of garam masala in cooking.

Try it on tofu, veggies, rice ... mmm... garam masala...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm allergic to dark chocolate, but I love those white chocolate Wilton candy melts dipped in peanut butter... (I had a package around the house because I was planning to make cupcakes in white chocolate "cups," but time prevented the cup-making.)

To answer the OP:

I put sliced banana peppers on my salad and use a tiny bit of that "salad mist" dressing that's one calorie per squirt. Between the peppers and the small amount of salad dressing, I get plenty of flavor.

Instead of sugary sodas or chemical-filled diet sodas, I drink herb tea at work.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Food: The Little Things You Do [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People were saying peanut butter is bad it very high is good fats in protein, its also i could food to eat when hungary after a long workout

Andy
Quote Reply