Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Forum
Quote | Reply
Hey Girls

I'm so happy to find this forum. I am a brand new tri-athlete in training (first tri in June) I have been riding a road bike for 3 years and have run for about 8 years. I am also a very new swimmer so this is a challenge for me to do this tri-thing.

I am looking for a tri-bike, does anyone have any info on the Guru Magis. Or can you suggest another bike? I'm 5'5 and approx 120lbs.

Tri-it
Quote Reply
Re: New to Forum [tri-it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, guy here, but, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to be in touch with my feminine side, so, the womens let me post here. ;-)

Oh boy. Asking for advice on a new bike is tricky. The three most important elements are fit, fit, and fit. Once you have those, pretty much everything else falls into place.

I have the Guru Crono and can tell you it is an amazing bike. The craftsmanship and attention to detail by Guru is second to none. And, as a custom bike, you are guranteed to have the perfect fit -- assuming, of course, you went to a reputable bike fitter.

The Magis is a great bike, no doubt. Check to make sure the production "kinks" have been ironed out. This is a new bike for Guru for this year. Production did not start smoothly. Demand was remarkably high and production was horribly delayed. Through a sponsorship deal, my tri teams placed group orders for the Magis back in November. Due to production delays, the bike were not even started in Feb. However, Guru made good on their end and upgraded to Crono for a small fee, so, no one could complain. It is my understanding that these issues have now been corrected, but, check first.

I would highly recommend that you go in to a reputable fitter and get fitted first. Find someone who is F.I.S.T. certified. Get your measurements first. That will then guide you on the proper bike. Obviously, the Magis will fit the bill regardless of your measurements b/c it is a custom bike.

Good luck and happy shopping.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome! I can't give you bike advice except: get one you love so you'll love riding it! It's like a good pair of shoes, you want a bike that fits, looks good, and makes you feel fabulous. Best wishes and let us know what bike you get!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome to the tri family....
after you do one, you WILL be hooked...one is never enough, won't be able to get enough..
you live day to day till your next issue of tri magazine comes in the mail...all you ever wear is
workout gear.... you have an ever present slight aroma of chlorine....your purse and glove box will hold an assortment of gels and energy bars...
you start going home early from parties cuz you have a long bike or run or swim.....
but welcome!!!
bikes...depends on what you can afford...i think the priorities go like this...frame,components, wheels...
i have an orbea diva and love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just a little note to say hi. you will love the sport. there are all kinds of different women doing all different distances for all kinds of different reasons. there's something here for all of us. Welcome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome! I am a newbie so not much help -did my first tri in March and no biking background. I went with the advice of my LBS which so far has not been anything but fabulous.....

good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

I second the post about getting a proper fit. We spend alot of time on the bike and it ought to be comfy--especially in aero. I ride a Cervelo P3C and love it. I attribute the velo love mostly to the fit and that the bike makes me feel like Lisa Bentley or Dave Zabriskie (sans moustache).
For the swim part, I recommend finding a swim coach or a master's swim group with a deck coach. Someone who will give you a couple of pointers to work on each week with your stroke.

Happy training!
Quote Reply
Re: New to Forum [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks JSA for the great info on the Magis. I really appreciate the heads up on the bike. I will check out to see if they have ironed out the kinks. It takes 4-6 weeks for a custom bike to arrive so I'd better get on it. Hopefully I can order it in a couple of weeks. (have to save some more pennies) I will ride my Norco until then.

Anyone doing the STP (Seattle to Portland) ride this summer? This is my first time on the ride and I am really looking forward to it. It works out to approx. 100 miles a day for two days. My training has been going well but the last few rides have been tough, I ran the Boston marathon 3 weeks ago and it seems like my legs aren't back yet. Hopefully this weekend, my legs won't feel like they are 200lbs each.

Tri-it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll x3 or 4 or whatever on fit and don't let brand be the sole driver. I just got a new tri bike (yippee!) and spent a very long time with the LBS plugging in my measurements. I have an overly long torso in comparison to midget sized legs and a long reach, so while I mighta had my heart set on Bike X, that really wasn't gonna work for me.

Good luck and welcome!
Quote Reply