Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experiences from a nutritionist
Quote | Reply
I've been considering seeing one. I'm not sure if I need one or if they will help. When I'm being good, I have a healthy diet. Most people I train with consider my diet to be very healthy.

I have friends who have used one and they came back with diets very similar to what i already eat.

I'm wondering if a nutritionist will look at my diet and tell me it's good or will they say...you should try to get more of this and it will help you in this way?

I'm wondering if it's similar to a coach. Most of us know how to train, but a coach normally gets you to the next level. Can a nutritionist do that too? Do they give you meal plans? How do they determine what you are lacking?

I've also listened to some speak and I guess I have never been impressed with them or their knowledge of dietary needs of endurance athletes.

I have had a few nutrition issues, lack of energy, but I normally know why. The only other issue I have is that I have gut issues w/in 30 min of the run after a long bike ride. I make a pit stop and am fine after that. Can a nutritionist help this problem?

I guess I don't really have any issues with my diet that I know of, so is it worthwhile to see one? And what is the difference between a nutrionist and a dietician? Which is better?
Quote Reply
Re: Experiences from a nutritionist [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read so much and talked to enough nutritionists to know what I should be doing, unfortunately I don't always do it. Consequently I haven't gotten anything out of seeing one for a year or two and I've tried several. I keep thinking they are going to tell me the key to gaining energy or losing weight. I already know that it is whole grains, fruits and veggies, lean protein, legumes and sources of healthy fats.

Where I see a nutritionist the most helpful is giving you advice on distribution of carbs/fats/protein and helping you plan your total calorie intakes. Also, getting an analysis of what you are eating may suprise you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the key to a nutritionist (I prefer registered dieticians!!) is to find one that really understands an endurance athlete. This is, of course, especially important for those of us doing IM's. And since you are a Kona qualifier, even more important (you're just that good hehe)!
We have one in Vancouver that is very well known for her work with runners and other athletes that I'm still trying to tie down. She's so good it's almost impossible to get in with her.
My .02, if they aren't well versed in the world of endurance athletics: don't bother. We are all so well versed in nutrition anyways (we pretty much have to be) that unless they truly understand us, they're not going to be able to help us much.

Quote | Reply
Sorry to butt in on the ladies forum but this is a topic of interest to me as well - same questions as you basically. One nutritionist I've heard excellent reports of is Emily Miazga. She's really well qualified and has a superb endurance sport track record e.g. two times winner of coast to coast endurance race in NZ. Google her name and you should find her web site which is primarily about the sports cookies she makes but also had some good sections on her nutrition asvice and credentials.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Experiences from a nutritionist [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries, you are welcome over here any time.

I'll look her up. I plan on doing the Coast to Coast sometime.

I think I'm going to at least check out a dietitian and see what they say about my diet. I'm sure there are some things I can do better, I'm really curious about what the net gains would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect timing. I just started with a nutritionist last week. He is a tri coach and is training for his first IM this summer, so he is familiar with fueling before, during and after w/o's and races. As a matter of fact, I am supposed to do a sweat test for him so we can determine what I need. This week is my week to log everything I eat and all of my exercise for him and we will tweak from there. I'll give you more info if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Experiences from a nutritionist [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, please let me know how it goes. I'm mostly interested if you think it's worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it will be worth it IF I lose the weight I want:))

Actually, I am pretty happy so far. I sent him my race nutrition from AZ and he is going over it to make sure there is not a problem there. We think I may not be taking enough in on the bike bc of my problems on the run. And he has me doing a sweat test to determine hydration......both of those things will help alot. Oh, and, I will send him my w/o's as I get them(2 week blocks) and we'll go over my calorie intake.

You might want to ask the person you are looking into if those things are included.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked with a nutritionist (Monique Ryan) and while she was great and put together plans for me to follow I found I wasn't always so great about following what she set out for me. I decided until I was ready to be disciplined about what I was eating (I just can't bring myself to make shakes every morning) it was a waste of my money and both her and my time. For some reason I can be incredibly disciplined about doing what my coach tells me but I can't just bring the same discipline to my diet. There are just certain foods I can't resist - damn baked cheetos - and a nutritionist couldn't change that for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Experiences from a nutritionist [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the thought of going to a nutritionist or dietitian (I'm leaning towards a registered dietitian) is helping me clean up my diet. I don't need someone to tell me what not to eat (I know I need to get off the pizza, chips and kitkat bars), I want them to look at my diet and tell me what I'm missing and what it will do for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone can call themselves a nutritionist - the term RD is legally protected and that person has a degree in nutrition, internship experience, etc.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have the right attitude and a nutritionist will benefit you. I think I had the wrong approach to how she was going to help me. I think I was going in hoping for a meal plan and then not following through on my end and sticking to said meal plan. My meetings with her did lead to my increasing the amount of protein I consumed. I also learned that I had a pretty balanced diet, I just need to avoid late night snacking (a change I still haven't made).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a few people have already said, the term nutritionist really means nothing. You could take a one hour class and call yourself a nutritionist. What I would recommend looking for is a Registered Dietitian who specializes in Sports Nutrition.

As an RD myself, I would also tell you that we aren't all alike. We all specialize in something. I'm a clinical RD and mainly work in hospitals. So just because you find an RD doesn't mean that they are going to be a great sports dietitian.

The American Dietetic Association has subgroups... one of which is Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutritionists (yeah, I hate their title because they are registered dietitians and should call themselves such). Anyways, they have an RD locator on their website should you want to find one in your area.
http://www.scandpg.org/

Nikki
Registered Dietitian, Licensed Dietitian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello

My name is Jennifer and I am a registered dietitian and a competitive triathlete. In response to your question, there is a difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist. I came across this article and it does a good job of explaining the difference in a humorous way. Visit the following link:
Who’s Dishing Out Your Nutrition Advice?
(Connie B. Diekman, ADA President quoted)
http://www.napsnet.com/articles/58208.html,
Also, if you are interested, I am available for nutrition coaching. I work w/ my coach Marty Gaal, with One Step Beyond triathlon coaching services and offer nutritional coaching. For more info, please visit the website, http://www.osbmultisport.com/nutrition.html, for my rates and services. Thanks!

Jennifer Patzkowsky, MS, RD/LDN (these initials let you know that I am registered and licensed).
"Exercise is king. Nutrition is queen. Put them together and you've got a kingdom." - Jack LaLanne
Quote Reply